*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Lavecon recap & mining focused feedback. If the implementation of mining is 'as advertised' it'll be a big improvement.

The new mining mechanics look interesting, but I'm very concerned there's seemingly no mention of the much needed mechanics to allow a CMDR to explore, find a rare rich mining location, and mine it down until it's gone forever.

This is much needed IMHO for exploration/mining, and (seemingly) not tricky to implement.

I'm worried FD are too focused on adding new mini-game gameplay while actually mining, to consider the broader important mechanics.

I've been raising this matter for years, so if it's not offered in someway with these improvements, I'll be dumb founded TBH as the missed opportunity:-
- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-amp-SUPPORT?p=6803650&viewfull=1#post6803650
- https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-big-four-questions-(persistence-and-related)

Associate
The new mining mechanics look interesting, but I'm very concerned there's seemingly no mention of the much needed mechanics to allow a CMDR to explore, find a rare rich mining location, and mine it down until it's gone forever.

You won't be able to mine something until it is gone b/c there is no ships that can strip mine a ring so there is no point implementing it really imho. They are however investigating resource persistence so if you find something you might be able to bookmark it & I guess in that case you could mine that resource to nothing. As for finding stuff, exploration focused feedback hasn't arrived but doesn't the MRAS solve the in ring part of the problem?

Soldato
You won't be able to mine something until it is gone b/c there is no ships that can strip mine a ring so there is no point implementing it really imho. They are however investigating resource persistence so if you find something you might be able to bookmark it & I guess in that case you could mine that resource to nothing. As for finding stuff, exploration focused feedback hasn't arrived but doesn't the MRAS solve the in ring part of the problem?
A "Hot Spot," not an entire ring. ie: While exploring/scanning a ring you discover a Hot Spot of materials. You exit there (just like a RES) and the amount of valuable stuff to mine is higher. BUT, as you do mine it, its value is reduced, and once it hits zero, the "Hot Spot" is gone, forever.

A simple mechanics, easily procedurally generated. Requiring only a tiny about of data. And importantly, giving exploration and mining an important valuable/rewarding mechanic, as well as opening up the door to some more interesting and even emergent gameplay.

Note: The same mechanic could be applied to planetary surfaces if/when we can mine there.

Associate
A simple mechanics, easily procedurally generated. Requiring only a tiny about of data. And importantly, giving exploration and mining an important valuable/rewarding mechanic, as well as opening up the door to some more interesting and even emergent gameplay.

Note: The same mechanic could be applied to planetary surfaces if/when we can mine there.

Would be nice, certainly, but the reason Squadron sizes are 250 is because of server data capacity. If FDev funded ED partially through a subscription I suspect it wouldn't be an issue but tbh I can't see resources being persistent unless it is a very small number per commander & other commanders will need to be in the same wing to see them.

Associate
It all looks interesting, but I didn't have time to watch the full video

What's the MRAS?

Is there a link to a summary of the proposed mining improvements? I've enjoyed mining in other games like Jumpgate, but for some reason its's never drawn me in in Elite Dangerous despite having a nice mining ship.

Soldato
Would be nice, certainly, but the reason Squadron sizes are 250 is because of server data capacity. If FDev funded ED partially through a subscription I suspect it wouldn't be an issue but tbh I can't see resources being persistent unless it is a very small number per commander & other commanders will need to be in the same wing to see them.
Consider the amount of data that can already be stored for each system that's been explored in any fashion by CMDRs... The information on each body in that system etc.

The suggestion to have a procedural calculation to offer "rare stateful Hot Spots" within a small proportion of these system, with each "Hot Spot" once discovered then only requiring a couple of database values (eg: how much of it remains) surely would result in a data size that would be tiny in comparison to what's already being stored surely?

Here's my post I've dedicated to it on the Frontier Forums - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-big-four-questions-(persistence-and-related)

I see the mechanic as achievable and flexible so if it's not added in some guise I will be bemused TBH given the important outcome to exploration and mining! And the ability it would even open up to create temporary Gold Rushes for things like a CG etc.

Associate
What's the MRAS?
A scanner you use to fine the new types of mineable resources.

Is there a link to a summary of the proposed mining improvements?

Yep!…
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/434086-HITTING-THE-MOTHER-LODE

Consider the amount of data that can already be stored for each system that's been explored in any fashion by CMDRs... The information on each body in that system etc..

I can consider it as much as I want but if FDev say they have storage issues for Squadrons then is it likely an across the board issue. We'll see like.

Associate
Particularly if you want to VR ;)

Absolutely It's essential for VR in my opinion as you can't see the keyboard with your headset on.

It also massively adds to the immersion. It still massively impresses me when I can take a curving path towards a station, say "permission to land" and the station controller responds a second later.

Associate
I'm not tempted by the new ships.

The other new content seems a bit 'meh'.

I'm still playing the game happily though, so I'd encourage you to drop back in.

Caporegime
So I've not played this since before Engineers, and even then only managed to get up to a Cobra. Is it worth jumping in again? Are there tutorials in game for new/returning players?

Soldato
Had a quick go of the Krait, but didn't seem to offer anything new. I think they missed a trick by not doing the original, all proper beaten up with old systems etc. would have been pretty cool.

Associate
So I've not played this since before Engineers, and even then only managed to get up to a Cobra. Is it worth jumping in again? Are there tutorials in game for new/returning players?

'only' the Cobra! Sacrilege!!

But, having said that I think it's worth jumping back in. If you've got a Cobra then you've probably got over the steep learning curve and can now just explore the game.

Engineers can buff up stuff, but they are not essential. I've been exploring the Engineers but they've not added much.

And there's some good deals out there on the Oculus Rift - VR adds massively to the game.

Caporegime
'only' the Cobra! Sacrilege!!

But, having said that I think it's worth jumping back in. If you've got a Cobra then you've probably got over the steep learning curve and can now just explore the game.

Engineers can buff up stuff, but they are not essential. I've been exploring the Engineers but they've not added much.

And there's some good deals out there on the Oculus Rift - VR adds massively to the game.

Funnily enough I had a Rift and sold it because I didn't really have enough room at my desk to use it properly. Elite is one thing I never tried, mainly because I only have a Logitech Attack 3 joystick and I felt VR needed a HOTAS so you could be fully immersed.

Soldato
Are people using voice attack alone or do you need an elite pack as well.

I see voice attack is £4.49 but the William Shatner pack is 14.99 on top.

I'd like it but thats 20 quid on a game I only play once in a while, add that the to fact a lot of people say it doesn't work as well as the videos make out?

Soldato
Voice attack requires a lot of configuration. Those YouTube videos you see where everything just works? Good luck spending several evenings getting to that stage.

It's cool but really not necessary

Back
Top Bottom