*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Caporegime
I could see Voice Attack being very useful if you have a VR setup and haven't got a fully setup HOTAS for example, but I'd think it's usefulness is outweighed by it's cool factor!

Associate
Are people using voice attack alone or do you need an elite pack as well.

I see voice attack is £4.49 but the William Shatner pack is 14.99 on top.

I'd like it but thats 20 quid on a game I only play once in a while, add that the to fact a lot of people say it doesn't work as well as the videos make out?

You only need Voice Attack itself. If you want it doing all sorts of fancy things you'll be shelling out for other poeple's hard work.

However, having played a bit I know what keys I struggle with or commands that are just cool and have mapped them in VA. The slightly complicated stuff does take a wee while but a simple command is easy to setup.

Start with looking for the spoken words of 'landing gear' when the software hears those words it will press the (i can't remember what the key is now) 'L' key and say a phrase of your choice like 'okies dokes skipper, wheels coming down'

Soldato
Cool, cheers for the replies chaps.
I play on VR so I might pick it up and see how it goes. I can always add a pack later.
Hopefully will make it easier to play as it's difficult to use the keyboard with hmd on.

Out of curiosity what other games do people use VA with?

Associate
Guys, after a long time waiting I've bought ED and have Oculus Rift with touch controllers. I also have a Thrustmaster HOTAS.

Before I dive in and no doubt lose weeks to this, are there any "go to" configs/profiles/add-on's etc I should get and is there a VR settings guide at all. The ones I can find all seem a little outdated.

I see above about Voice Attack, bit of a noob to all of this, does the Rift have an in-built mic or do you need a separate one?

Cheers!

Soldato
Guys, after a long time waiting I've bought ED and have Oculus Rift with touch controllers. I also have a Thrustmaster HOTAS.

Before I dive in and no doubt lose weeks to this, are there any "go to" configs/profiles/add-on's etc I should get and is there a VR settings guide at all. The ones I can find all seem a little outdated.

I see above about Voice Attack, bit of a noob to all of this, does the Rift have an in-built mic or do you need a separate one?

Cheers!

The rift does have an in built mic but when i tested it out, peeps i was on with said it wasnt a patch on my mod mic.

Soldato
The Rift mic is more than adequate for VoiceAttack. The most important thing is to ensure you complete the Windows recognition training numerous time to ensure it learns the quirks and nuances of your accent and pronunciation.

Associate

Cheers!

If you use the HOTAS, I love this setup https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16140&page=7 with this I can do everything I need from the joystick and no keyboard use outside of the galaxy map and SRV. I couldn't find any usable setups for the SRV and a HOTAS so mainly avoid them or switch to my xbox controller.

Soldato
I couldn't find any usable setups for the SRV and a HOTAS so mainly avoid them or switch to my xbox controller.
Can you not map your own with the in-game settings?
I have all my SRV functions on HOTAS. Throttle for speed, left finger switch for handbrake, a thumb-switch kicks it into reverse gear and the stick usually steers but I also have my strafe mapped to it as a secondary input, which I find useful. Everything else is mapped to the keys for similar functions on the ship.

Associate
Can you not map your own with the in-game settings?
I have all my SRV functions on HOTAS. Throttle for speed, left finger switch for handbrake, a thumb-switch kicks it into reverse gear and the stick usually steers but I also have my strafe mapped to it as a secondary input, which I find useful. Everything else is mapped to the keys for similar functions on the ship.

I've tried a long time back but just found it really odd to use the stick to drive with. Might try again though as I did enjoy flying the SRV around, and I do mean fly :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well I went through the effort of installing this again and getting Voice attack setup (I forgot to back my VA config) so that was a hr or so wasted :)

The beamed corvette can still toast anything pretty quickly, For some reason picking on a sidewinder and watching it explode within 3 seconds is very satisfying.

Just need to get my head around this guardian stuff and weaponry, missions for wings seem to dominate the mission boards for massacre missions so not sure if these are even possible solo.

Soldato
Btw, is it me, or we going to have Elite Dangerous with all the SC features before the latter one is ever released? :p
Already we have some pilot/presentation of walking on atmospheric planets!!

I bet after this implemented we going to be able to build bases.... err wait... Thats from different game :p

Imho they should add it for stations also, and start making the online instances bigger, so we can meet up for a drink :rolleyes:

Associate
Btw, is it me, or we going to have Elite Dangerous with all the SC features before the latter one is ever released? :p
Already we have some pilot/presentation of walking on atmospheric planets!!

All of FDev's games use the Cobra engine & although it is not remotely as easy as 'cut'n'paste' they have the fundamental tech & knowledge to do what is required for spacelegs. Here is footage from FDev's 2011 game, 'The Outsider' which got stuck in development hell when Codemasters yanked funding.

When considering 'can FDev leapfrog CIG' you need to understand where SC & ED are in relation to each other development wise which is difficult as CIG announce features pre-production whilst FDev won't usually confirm something until its production is underway or nearly complete (quality of said feature may 'vary' :) ). Example; FDev stated they had no plans for Horizons to include landable planets, then all of a sudden they not only had plans but landable planets were confirmed!

Anyway, FDev have the models for space legs as demonstrated by holo-me & the Commander Chronicles, and they also have the knowledge & tech on how to do a FPS. Thus, with Star Citizen 2 years away I can see Elite Dangerous leapfrogging them on the 'big features that count' if they as a company want to. Being first doesn't mean good gameplay though…

Soldato
All of FDev's games use the Cobra engine & although it is not remotely as easy as 'cut'n'paste' they have the fundamental tech & knowledge to do what is required for spacelegs. Here is footage from FDev's 2011 game, 'The Outsider' which got stuck in development hell when Codemasters yanked funding.

When considering 'can FDev leapfrog CIG' you need to understand where SC & ED are in relation to each other development wise which is difficult as CIG announce features pre-production whilst FDev won't usually confirm something until its production is underway or nearly complete (quality of said feature may 'vary' :) ). Example; FDev stated they had no plans for Horizons to include landable planets, then all of a sudden they not only had plans but landable planets were confirmed!

Anyway, FDev have the models for space legs as demonstrated by holo-me & the Commander Chronicles, and they also have the knowledge & tech on how to do a FPS. Thus, with Star Citizen 2 years away I can see Elite Dangerous leapfrogging them on the 'big features that count' if they as a company want to. Being first doesn't mean good gameplay though…

You do forget that there is also the X series yes? X:R (came out 2014!!!) especially is all of what we need of such games and more. So is not that is not been done previously.
And X4:Foundation is out this year, already way better from all the presentations we have seen. (look at their last video egosoft published in June for their 30 years anniversary, just go to the last 10 minutes showing X4).

Shame no multiplayer, otherwise with a much tinier budget and 10 man team, a small german company makes more complete games.

Back
Top Bottom