*** The Official Elite: Dangerous Thread ***

Soldato
Pretty disappointed by the announcement to be honest. I'm really not sure about the direction they're heading in with updates. It strikes me that most people playing Elite Dangerous are primarily there for the flight and space travel part of the game. I doubt many would be interested in getting out of the ship and walking around the planet. You can already traverse planets with the SRV so what advantage does wandering around on foot bring other than taking longer to get anywhere?

More worrying is they didn't discuss any gameplay aspects of wandering around on foot. What are you actually going to do when you start walking around the large barrens planets Elite Dangerous limits you to just now. Because if it's going to be a case of wandering around grinding to mine minerals No Man's Sky style then I'm out! Similarly I doubt anybody wants to see Elite turn into an FPS style game.

Personally I'd far rather than added atmospheric planets and improved the mission structure. I'm finding myself increasingly disappointed by the direction Frontier seem to be taking the game and the areas they're targeting development time and future expansions at. In fact I can see the HOTAS wielding Elite hardcore actually being quite annoyed at the idea of having to get out of their ships!

Soldato
After playing SC, walking up to your ship, opening the door, walking around it and getting into the seat adds *massively* to the feeling of being in a proper space ship. Heck, even getting out of the seat and talking a walk or looking out of the windows while in Hyperspace really adds to the game.

My 'worry' is that this isn't like that, and it'll switch into a different game mode of sorts, rather than being a seamless thing....it'll be a shame. For me, space legs and proper atmospheric planets add a huge amount to to the immersion.

Soldato
Isn't it just no vr at launch?
Yes, same as the ps4 was no VR at launch, SRV was just one model at launch, Horizons was just non atmospheric planets at launch, FD have a long history of using the terminology for features that are never added.

Soldato
Any on foot bits should be for ports only and fill them with people, places and missions etc. You can drive for miles in a buggy and see very little other than rocks, can’t see how walking it will improve on that.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It does seem very odd.

I couldnt care less about walking about in a ship, that is not gameplay its walking about in a space ship.

As people have said before, the mission system needs a complete think through to make it engaging fix that and people will come back for sure.

Soldato
Yes, same as the ps4 was no VR at launch, SRV was just one model at launch, Horizons was just non atmospheric planets at launch, FD have a long history of using the terminology for features that are never added.
True, i'll just keep fingers crossed. It's all free extras anyway for me as a backer.

Soldato
There's loads with various working locomotion solutions. Alyx works perfectly well. I don't see it being that. Maybe a new engine?
Indeed and even IF we trust them at that hell blade showed a really good way to transition from VR to a screen. If absolutely nothing else everything in odyssey that is in a seat could be in VR then transition to a virtual screen for the on foot stuff (also displayed on monitor) .bthst would be better than nothing.

Associate
After playing SC, walking up to your ship, opening the door, walking around it and getting into the seat adds *massively* to the feeling of being in a proper space ship. Heck, even getting out of the seat and talking a walk or looking out of the windows while in Hyperspace really adds to the game.

My 'worry' is that this isn't like that, and it'll switch into a different game mode of sorts, rather than being a seamless thing....it'll be a shame. For me, space legs and proper atmospheric planets add a huge amount to to the immersion.

Your worries are well established as ED is instanced while SC is not. So getting in and out of the ship seamlessly i think is out of the question. So is boarding and fighting on a ship while it's flying imho.

There won't be funny moments like in SC when me and some friends were hiding at a landing pad and when someone landed and got out ran into their ship and stole it.

Also with the amount of planets in ED most probably there will be no big cities or unique missions sadly :(

Associate
I don't believe nausea is the likely reason for the lack of VR. For every "VR MADE ME PUKE" forum post there's a hundred other VR gamers like myself who play fully-locomotive games without any nausea. It's not like we're going to broadcast "I PLAYED VR AND WAS FINE" ;)

The video looks fine, but at the end of the day it's a some ships flying over a landscape (which we can do) and two guys walking on the surface (which we can't, but wouldn't exactly revolutionise the gaming world). It's the situations and variety of possible actions that will make it interesting..... or not.

As above, hoping they get it right, while quietly suspecting that you'll only be able to walk around with a mining laser and break rocks into smaller rocks.

Soldato
I don't believe nausea is the likely reason for the lack of VR. For every "VR MADE ME PUKE" forum post there's a hundred other VR gamers like myself who play fully-locomotive games without any nausea. It's not like we're going to broadcast "I PLAYED VR AND WAS FINE" ;)

The video looks fine, but at the end of the day it's a some ships flying over a landscape (which we can do) and two guys walking on the surface (which we can't, but wouldn't exactly revolutionise the gaming world). It's the situations and variety of possible actions that will make it interesting..... or not.

As above, hoping they get it right, while quietly suspecting that you'll only be able to walk around with a mining laser and break rocks into smaller rocks.

Oh the VR made me Puke is real though.. I went green the other day. Not been in the SRV for 2 years or more.....Blurgh

But then my stomach goes leaving a station sometimes.......

But I'm 45 and age makes a difference

Soldato
Hehe, of course VR sickness is real- my sister in law takes 20bswconds to go green :D Just saying that it's not a valid reason for the devs not to include VR for Odyssey.

Oh god no.. It should defo be there. I wonder if there are any user number vanilla v VR.

I just did my exploration to Elite and did half in vanilla as VR was just too much if I was just really honking and scanning.

My rift sits on top my head when in the SRV now too. It took me 3 hours to get my land legs back...lol

Wont stop me playing though

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just LOL at how Elite has gone.
The things I thought would be great, i.e. base building, nope, don't want that.
The things I loved, i.e. VR. Naw, why would we build on that. Yeah, bugger it, throw it away.
The things I didn't care about, i.e. space legs on a barren planet. Yeah, damn good idea. Miles of walking around nothing interesting. Great idea, let's do it.
Things that really weren't a good idea, i.e. engineers, which just massively imbalanced ship design and added GRIND. Hmm, let's keep that going.

Did Roberts plant an employee into Frontier to kill the franchise?

Soldato
while i agree with the above, frontier are in the strongest place they have ever been with record profits in year 2019 - £19.4 million to be precise.
https://www.frontier.co.uk/annual-report#ar_highlights_kpis

sold over 3 million copies of elite dangerous so far and with other titles doing well they go from strength to strength.

In financial year 2019 Frontier grew revenue by more than 160% and operating profit by nearly 600% representing record financial performance. This was delivered through the success of Jurassic World Evolution (June 2018) and the ongoing performance of Frontier’s first two self-published titles, Elite Dangerous (2014) and Planet Coaster (2016).

Soldato
as a total noob who knows nothing about the subject - if E:D already has VR engines incorporated, why doesn't it work w/ Odyssey? Does Odyssey not just "plug into" the main game?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
while i agree with the above, frontier are in the strongest place they have ever been with record profits in year 2019 - £19.4 million to be precise.
https://www.frontier.co.uk/annual-report#ar_highlights_kpis

sold over 3 million copies of elite dangerous so far and with other titles doing well they go from strength to strength.

Thats because they have no DEVS to pay and update the broken boring game for the past 3 years :)

Soldato
muttergrumble100devscoughgrumble...

Allegedly :D

Nice to see the Arx department has been working hard to make sure that there are plenty of skins, colours, voices, layouts and thrust colour options ready for fleet carriers today though...

Associate
I'm a new player to this game (currently 34 hours in) I'm still getting to grips with the idea of mining prior to doing some exploration.

Space legs doesn't add anything to this for me in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom