**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
I'll be betting against Conor again in his next fight be it vs Aldo or Edgar, I had £55 on Nate to win and had £20 on Aldo to win last time out.

I think people are making too big of a deal about the weight class he fought Nate at. The facts are;
Nate isn't a natural 170lb fighter, he fights at 155lb.
Nate only weighed in 1lb heavier than Conor.
Both weighed in under the 170lb limit, which indicates to me that neither of them had to cut (especially when you consider they could have weighed in at 171lbs and still have made weight)
Basically this was a lightweight bout with neither fighter cutting weight, that being said I can't even begin to imagine how badly RDA would have messed Conor up - go check RDA vs Nate Diaz to see how bad he would have made Conor look.

I love Conor McGregor, I just don't see him being at the top of any division until he rounds out his game - he's a phenomenal striker who is fun to watch against lesser opponents due to his creativity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah but the main reason people are picking up on the weight thing is because Conor has been fighting people who naturally walk around at closer to the 145lbs they compete at (Mendes and Aldo for example), so Conor has always had a size and power advantage come fight night. It's similar to Robbie Lawler fighting at welterweight really, because although he might weigh in at 170lbs, he's probably a good 15-20lbs heavier come fight night. If he went up to middleweight he'd find it harder too I imagine, and he wouldn't stand a chance at LHW.

I also put money on Nate, it was clearly too much of a step up for Conor and I wasn't at all surprised that he lost, plus Nate is no joke and looks better than he has done for ages. Having said all that, if Conor drops back down to 145 I would expect him to beat Edgar or Aldo if he fights either of those guys. As Nate said, Conor had been fighting midgets up until their fight!

Soldato
For me Connor was overconfident and I think expected to put Nate away in the first, which led him to gas badly once he got hit with some solid shots in the 2nd!

Props to Nate but it doesn't do too much to damage Connor's reputation imo - I'll bet there are still a huge list of guys queuing up to fight him for the big payday, especially as he's likely to feature at UFC 200!

The performance of the night for me was Miesha Tate - great movement and both times the fight went to the ground, Holm looked in genuine trouble!

Unfortunately for Miesha it looks like her first defence could be against Rousey, who appears to be infinitely better than her on the mat - if she comes back the same fighter that is!

I'd suggest Miesha works extensively on her striking before fighting Ronda again as it's the only facet where she had limited success last time out!

Caporegime
People are making a big deal about the weight because Diaz has fought at that weight before, Conor hasn't. He's never fought outside of 155, he's not used to how his energy will handle at that weight. He's not used to going to into a fight where he hasn't had to keep his diet under control, or put the work in to keep the weight off. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't put the normal amount of cardio in, so that he could put the weight on.

Fighting a naturally bigger guy also didn't help, but I think a large part of his problem was that he himself wasn't used to fighting at that weight.

I think he stays champion at 145 for a long time, I only see Edgar being a challenge to him there. The second fight with Aldo won't go the same way, but my opinion would be the same as it was then, if the fight stays standing Aldo gets demolished.

Last edited:
Associate
He will dominate at featherweight, although i think if he fights edgar it will be a great fight. Diaz is just someone who absorbs punches, conor threw bombs that first round but that was his downfall as he used all his energy throwing them. I think he does need more options in his game though if he wants to fight at a higher weight because they dont go down as easily. Still a legend and great for the sport.

Caporegime
So not only was the Slice Vs Dada fight the most embarrassing, and hilarious fight you're likely to come across in a main stream organisation but Slice also ***** hot. Shamrock also got rumbled, again.

Associate
I'll be betting against Conor again in his next fight be it vs Aldo or Edgar, I had £55 on Nate to win and had £20 on Aldo to win last time out.

I think people are making too big of a deal about the weight class he fought Nate at. The facts are;
Nate isn't a natural 170lb fighter, he fights at 155lb.
Nate only weighed in 1lb heavier than Conor.
Both weighed in under the 170lb limit, which indicates to me that neither of them had to cut (especially when you consider they could have weighed in at 171lbs and still have made weight)
Basically this was a lightweight bout with neither fighter cutting weight, that being said I can't even begin to imagine how badly RDA would have messed Conor up - go check RDA vs Nate Diaz to see how bad he would have made Conor look.

I love Conor McGregor, I just don't see him being at the top of any division until he rounds out his game - he's a phenomenal striker who is fun to watch against lesser opponents due to his creativity.

You couldn't be more wrong. What have you trained in, and where do you train to be able to give such conclusive opinions? What's your amateur/pro record?

Nate is conditioned well to take much harder hits from much bigger guys due to the fact he has competed at a much higher weight class most of his life. Conor was effectively a bigger guy with a smaller guys power.

Too much armchair opinions that couldn't further from accurate.

Associate
Soldato
You couldn't be more wrong. What have you trained in, and where do you train to be able to give such conclusive opinions? What's your amateur/pro record?

Nate is conditioned well to take much harder hits from much bigger guys due to the fact he has competed at a much higher weight class most of his life. Conor was effectively a bigger guy with a smaller guys power.

Too much armchair opinions that couldn't further from accurate.

Brave to tell somebody they couldn't be more wrong when your own post is pretty damn inaccurate.

Nate is a 155lb fighter, who has competed most of his life at 155lb. He has had 3 (maybe 4) fights at 170lb.

Connor fought regularly at 155lb before he joined the UFC and started making the cut to 145lb.

Even if you consider Connor a 145lber and Nate a 155lber, you're talking 10lbs difference - that is not a "much" bigger guy.

I realise they both weighed in close to the 170lb limit but that meant that neither fighter made any attempt to cut weight, they were both the same size.

You're right Nate is conditioned to take bigger hits than Connor, not because of the weight class he fights at, but because he has one of the best chins in the business.

I'll not say whether RDA would crush Connor or not, fighting is a funny old game and one shot can change the course of a career - however lets be frank, Connor was finished by a guy that RDA crushed. A run at the LW title would be a challenge and not a given.

Back
Top Bottom