**The Official Everything MMA Related Thread**

Soldato
I agree that Cejudo should fight some others in the division before going up for TJ.

Another example of a new champion basically wanting to earn the big money with a "superfight" without having even defended once!

The UFC is becoming a joke in this regard - I dont mind the likes of Anderson Silva or Mighty Mouse going for the big bucks - they had earned the right by destroying the number 1 contenders time and again - for a brand new champion to do it makes a mockery of the ranking system!

Soldato
With Conor it was all about the money train and he cleared out his division

Are you kidding?

I was with you until you said he cleared out the division - McGregor did no such thing - the highest paid fighter in the history of the sport and he's never so much as defended a title!

He is entertaining no question and I can't fault what he's doing to make his money but to suggest he "cleared out" the division is ludicrous!

Soldato
Are you kidding?

I was with you until you said he cleared out the division - McGregor did no such thing - the highest paid fighter in the history of the sport and he's never so much as defended a title!

He is entertaining no question and I can't fault what he's doing to make his money but to suggest he "cleared out" the division is ludicrous!

He fought and beat everyone relevant in his division at the time, Brimage, Holloway, Brandao, Poirier, Siver, Mendes and Aldo. Who else relevant during his run did he not fight? That's the point i'm getting at, there was nothing but rematches with people he'd already beaten on the table. Cejudo hasn't come off a run like that, he has recent defeats to avenge before he can start down the "i've beaten everyone at this weight" path.

Associate
Conor vs Khabib. What's everyone thinking? I think it's pretty much an obvious case of Conor having to stop Khabib taking it to the mat and Khabib avoiding getting smashed when he goes for the take-down.

I'll be interested to see what other matches are on the card.

Caporegime
Conor vs Khabib. What's everyone thinking? I think it's pretty much an obvious case of Conor having to stop Khabib taking it to the mat and Khabib avoiding getting smashed when he goes for the take-down.

I'll be interested to see what other matches are on the card.

It should be better than the Till Vs Woodley card, 3 WMMA fights :rolleyes:

Soldato
He fought and beat everyone relevant in his division at the time, Brimage, Holloway, Brandao, Poirier, Siver, Mendes and Aldo. Who else relevant during his run did he not fight? That's the point i'm getting at, there was nothing but rematches with people he'd already beaten on the table. Cejudo hasn't come off a run like that, he has recent defeats to avenge before he can start down the "i've beaten everyone at this weight" path.

I wish I'd taken a screenshot at the time but I remember this post I made just after McGregor KO'd Aldo - at the time he'd fought 3 of the top 10 (albeit I will concede that the UFC rankings are largely meaningless in this day and age - they are still the rankings!) - not what I'd call cleaning out the division!

Associate
It should be better than the Till Vs Woodley card, 3 WMMA fights :rolleyes:

228 is looking like a really good card. The Esparza vs Squarez fight is not very good but look at the others:

Yair vs Zabit
Jimmie Ribera vs John Dodson
Aljo Sterling vs Cody Stamann
Andrade vs Kowalkiewicz
Montano vs Shevchenko

And Diego Sanchez and Jim Miller both have fights on the card.

229 at the moment looks very top heavy. The other announced fights (non main event) with the exception of Sergio Pettis vs Formiga look meh.

Caporegime
228 is looking like a really good card. The Esparza vs Squarez fight is not very good but look at the others:

Yair vs Zabit
Jimmie Ribera vs John Dodson
Aljo Sterling vs Cody Stamann
Andrade vs Kowalkiewicz
Montano vs Shevchenko

And Diego Sanchez and Jim Miller both have fights on the card.

229 at the moment looks very top heavy. The other announced fights (non main event) with the exception of Sergio Pettis vs Formiga look meh.

When I said card I should've said the PPV, 3 WMMA fights on a PPV = not good. I'm not particularly interested in watching WMMA these days, the standard is poor and almost inevitably leads to a relatively boring decision. I'll very likely record it and fast forward the WMMA fights which will make it a short night.

The undercard proves what a joke it is that there are 2 non championship WMMA fights on the card. Virtually every other fight outside of the PPV should be in there ahead of Andrade vs Kowalkiewicz or Esparza vs Squarez.

I'm not sure what the UFC is thinking PPV buys tend to be on the down trend and then they serve that up, which will do nothing to reverse the trend, despite the other 2 fights on the card being very watchable.

Associate
When I said card I should've said the PPV, 3 WMMA fights on a PPV = not good. I'm not particularly interested in watching WMMA these days, the standard is poor and almost inevitably leads to a relatively boring decision. I'll very likely record it and fast forward the WMMA fights which will make it a short night.

The undercard proves what a joke it is that there are 2 non championship WMMA fights on the card. Virtually every other fight outside of the PPV should be in there ahead of Andrade vs Kowalkiewicz or Esparza vs Squarez.

I'm not sure what the UFC is thinking PPV buys tend to be on the down trend and then they serve that up, which will do nothing to reverse the trend, despite the other 2 fights on the card being very watchable.

Have they announce the main card? I was just looking at the fights on the UFC website but it didn't split the fights into main card/prelims etc. I was assuming the main card would be: Woodley vs Till, Yair vs Zabit, Rivera vs Dodson, Montno vs Shevchenko and the 5th either Aljo v Stamann or Andrade vs Kowalkiewicz.

Caporegime
Have they announce the main card? I was just looking at the fights on the UFC website but it didn't split the fights into main card/prelims etc. I was assuming the main card would be: Woodley vs Till, Yair vs Zabit, Rivera vs Dodson, Montno vs Shevchenko and the 5th either Aljo v Stamann or Andrade vs Kowalkiewicz.

Yep, the main card has been announced.

Screen_Shot_2018_08_11_at_16_48_08.png

lol @ Zabit Vs Yair being on first that's arguably the most exciting fight on the card.

Permabanned
Ronda would've been exposed by anyone with good boxing ability if not beaten badly by Cyborg. Cody is just an idiot; I started to dislike him when he showboated in the Cruz fight.

Soldato
Yeah, as viathinair says, Ronda was always going to be found out due to her lack of a stand-up game. She was an excellent judo practitioner and had a mean armbar, but she couldn't strike for toffee. Cody is still an excellent fighter, he just needs to keep his cool when he fights TJ. That's twice now that he's been caught by TJ because he's gone out swinging for the fences. Plus Cody needs to learn to throw a decent jab and uppercut, his punching seems to consist exclusively of hooks. Against someone as quick as TJ you need to mix up your striking.

Back
Top Bottom