***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I still find it hard to believe. Anyone I've contacted has wanted to know about traffic.

My SGSII video has over 750,000 views... but still people like HTC are only prepared to send me devices that have been out a couple of months.

Yeah nobody I've been i contact with has mentioned traffic either but I imagine they do get sales from the postings. If they send one item out to someone to review then that's one item they've not sold but because of the review and mention they might sell 3 of those items.

Works out good for everyone :)

Since June I've made £15-£20 a month from some of my phone based monetised videos on Youtube too, which is nice!

Soldato
Since June I've made £15-£20 a month from some of my phone based monetised videos on Youtube too, which is nice!

I'm going to guess they're in the region of around 20k views?

Do you fancy sharing your contacts details (not publicaly of course) to help me out? :) At present I buy all my devices to review :(

**EDIT** Sorry, I've taken this rather off topic...

**EDIT2**

Btw, subscribed :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to guess they're in the region of around 20k views?

Do you fancy sharing your contacts details (not publicaly of course) to help me out? :) At present I buy all my devices to review :(

**EDIT** Sorry, I've taken this rather off topic...

**EDIT2**

Btw, subscribed :)

Yeah nobody I've been i contact with has mentioned traffic either but I imagine they do get sales from the postings. If they send one item out to someone to review then that's one item they've not sold but because of the review and mention they might sell 3 of those items.

Works out good for everyone :)

Both added on G+ to my Tech circle!

Man of Honour
OP
A little on the barometer:

I've seen a lot of hay made about the barometer in Galaxy Nexus. Here's the skinny; it's not really as dramatic or weird as people think.

The primary purpose of the barometer is (at least, I've been told) to make GPS lockons faster. Locking on to a GPS involves numerically solving a 4-dimensional set of linear equations -- 3 dimensions in space, and time. (Yes, you get accurate time for free if you lock on to GPS.) Because of the way GPS works, this can take a few minutes.

This goes much faster if you already have an estimate of your location. This is why "aGPS" (assisted GPS) services are so popular: by starting with a rough city-level coordinate fix through something like cell-tower network location, you can reduce the amount of math you have to do to lock on. This is where the barometer comes in.

The 3 dimensions in space are latitude, longitude... and altitude. The barometer gives you a reasonable first-cut estimate for altitude. This gives you a bit of a leg up on one of the dimensions -- especially combined with "2D" aGPS -- which can help speed up lock-on in general.

Now of course, the barometer can also be used for things like, well, determining atmospheric pressure (although I'm not sure it's really weather grade.) But the main reason it's in your phone is to help with GPS.

Also, it's worth noting that Xoom has a barometer too, so it's not a new thing.

https://plus.google.com/11241386026...ouWDP#112413860260589530492/posts/jVJhPyouWDP

Soldato
Looks like the display is Super AMOLED HD and not Super AMOLED Plus HD
Source

So many pros and cons with all of these upcoming phones, no idea which route to go down now.

Man of Honour
OP
Anyone else think these acronyms are getting stupid?

SAMOLED+HD jeeeez. "Good screen" does for me.

Well it will be "super-duper samhd zled plus" next year. You won’t stop the fancy acronyms as they’re present to impress the punters. A "Good Screen" phone will not sell. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh I suppose. I can live with AMOLED or LCD, they actually stand for something meaningful. Sticking on "super" and "+" on their just does my head in :p

Althought I can't wait for the predecessor to the "super-duper", the "super-duper-totallyawesomeballs AMOLEDHDLCD+9000" is due not long after that.

Soldato
This is why Apple called it Retina (and for that matter, all their product names are usually single word based). While 95% of people probably don't know the difference between OLED, TFT, samsung's use of the word "PLUS" or even pentile vs standard - HD is well known to either mean 720 or 1080 and is something they, the general public, at least have a shot at relating to.

In reality they should have just done what marketing probably told them to do which is say the worlds first HD screen on a mobile because that would have been a better opener in the adverts and drop all this stupid SAMOLED stuff. Average joe does not care it's Samsung's line of Organic LED based displays with built in digitiser.

Ivan, best test in person on launch, it's detectable but not overly so. 720p as an upside to counter this (potential) downside is OK for me on a first gen of this screen.

On the upside, SGS3 will likely be RGB 720p and 32gb internal to counter the recent spate of releases, I can live with that. Assuming HTC don't pull a surprise that is ;) But seriously, wtf is that 3.5mm jack position about. the TOP of the device Samsung. You know this, wtf are you doing :/

Back
Top Bottom