***** The Official Galaxy Nexus Thread *****

Soldato
Can you give examples of these apps pls? also.. whats a custom kernal? sorry for the nooby question :D

For example; Titanium Backup. Apps on Android run in a sandbox and are only allowed access to their own data. As Titanium's purpose is to backup other application's data, it needs root permissions so it can access data other than its own.

The kernel contains hardware controls amongst other things. For example, the cpu table is specified in the kernel and a custom kernel may amend the cpu table to apply an undervolt or overclock.

Man of Honour
I've got Google Wallet up on my Nexus and bought a big mac at Maccy Ds the other day. Any boffins figured out how to recharge the prepaid card yet?

I've been sorely tempted to do this myself, if only to see the look on the cashiers face.

But it's a little pointless as you need access to someone with a registered address in the US to get a suitable card to top up your account. I'm hoping Google will get sorted for us in the UK in the next couple months, I know they're aiming to get it done in time for the Olympics.

Associate
I've been sorely tempted to do this myself, if only to see the look on the cashiers face.

But it's a little pointless as you need access to someone with a registered address in the US to get a suitable card to top up your account. I'm hoping Google will get sorted for us in the UK in the next couple months, I know they're aiming to get it done in time for the Olympics.

Did some searching and found this. Apparently you can top up using a prepaid card using this guy's method.
http://www.finestfones.com/2011/12/how-to-add-funds-to-google-wallet.html

Gonna make a few phone calls tomorrow and see if I can get this to work. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking for suggestions please. Bought a second Galaxy Nexus a few days ago from local Vodafone shop and unfortunately I did not check it but it was the "D" build rather than the "F" build---ie, updated to fix the Volume Rocker issue. Issue of course keeps arising in low signal areas. Do not want to root phone at this stage. Unfortunately, not OTA update received after owning phone for 5 days.

Should I wait for OTA and hope it just arrives or should I take GNex back to Vodafone and complain and tell them they gave me old phone. I wonder if someone returned the phone and Vodafone just reboxed it rather than giving me fresh stock.

Associate
Looking for suggestions please. Bought a second Galaxy Nexus a few days ago from local Vodafone shop and unfortunately I did not check it but it was the "D" build rather than the "F" build---ie, updated to fix the Volume Rocker issue. Issue of course keeps arising in low signal areas. Do not want to root phone at this stage. Unfortunately, not OTA update received after owning phone for 5 days.

Should I wait for OTA and hope it just arrives or should I take GNex back to Vodafone and complain and tell them they gave me old phone. I wonder if someone returned the phone and Vodafone just reboxed it rather than giving me fresh stock.

Do a factory reset and the ota update should come through.

Soldato
Settings > accounts & sync on any android

you might need to do the same on the desire rather than using htc's own sync app. not sure

mate you want all your contacts in gmail and then like my mrs today you simply sign into your new phone and bang all there.

Cheers. I think I've got it sorted. I've downloaded an google program to run in outlook. And thats sync'd contacts and calendar. Then I've set up my email accounts and they've sync'd

Its a crackin phone but getting used to a new phone every 18 months or so is getting harder each time..

Maybe I'm getting old

Soldato
Associate
I got my handset replaced and the volume bug is gone now, yay!

I'm not sure how the update didn't sort it for my original handset but nvm now anyway.
Also, a mate's GS2 with custom ROM (not sure which) got a couple of fps ahead of my Nexus in AnTuTu but that barely matters considering the resolution difference.
I've already used almost 2GB of bandwidth on my 3g on GiffGaff so I am glad I didn't get a tiny 750MB data contract lol (and I save a whopping £9 in the long run!). Buying the phone outright stung a bit though, especially after I learnt I still had the volume bug but I am glad all is well now (I even explicitly asked if the particular handset had the 'bug' fixed)

I am gonna have to try NFC payment soon that'll be fun :D

Also, worth getting an Invisible Shield for this beaut?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom