*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Soldato
Anyone else with a galaxy note thinking of buying one of these? Really want one but the screens only 1.7" bigger, not sure it'll be worth it.

Soldato
˄ Not a problem, plenty of third party music/tv/movie streaming services and just use chrome/currents for blogs.

Soldato
Anyone else with a galaxy note thinking of buying one of these? Really want one but the screens only 1.7" bigger, not sure it'll be worth it.

I bought one because when I've used one of my kids 7.7s, roughly the same size, it has been better for couch or bed browsing than my Note, I hope it replaces my Note in terms of larger screen mobile browsing.

Associate
It's getting a launch, yeah, but there's bugger all media support.

True, it's pretty slim pickings. But if you feel inclined to pay over the odds prices for virtual magazines and flics, then buy an iPad.

Android users are a lot more tech savy than average iPad users on the whole (they have to be to get the silly things to work!), I should imagine that most of us will be loading our own media onto the N7. I certainly couldn't care less if there wasn't a single TV program or film ever on offer on Play. I have a Netflix and LF account - so streaming and ripping are covered ;)

I have 12,000 songs on a Google Music account and online magazines just don't work for me, even the really good ones on the iPad. It's mainly a cost thing though - everything that's available in the Apple store and the Google Play store is insanely priced. I'd rather buy the BR / DVD / CD and rip it, usually for a lower price too!

Associate
For those that own a HP Touchpad running Android - what is the real incentive to own a Nexus 7? Don't get me wrong, I've been excited like everyone and have one on pre-order. But I'm now wondering what this will give me over a Touchpad?

Obviously a 7-inch versus 9.7-inch display is chalk and cheese, I can see the 7-inch being very useful for reading and playing games. However, I'd still prefer to browse on a larger display.

The only advantages the Nexus 7 offers that I can see is a faster processer, higher pixel density display and Android 4.1. However, if you are prepared to wait, CM10 will bring all the goodness of Jelly Bean and therefore it mainly comes down to the quad-core processor and screen pixel density. I have no problems with performance on the Touchpad running CM9, so I'm now beginning to wonder do I really need one. Anyone in a similar boat?

Soldato
I'll be keeping my Touchpad and the Nexus 7. A 7 inch tablet is much better for things like reading books or travelling on the train whereas my son loves using the Touchpad for games and interactive books. I have an iPad for things like Sky Go and 4oD etc. that mainly lives in the kitchen. All are great, but at very different things.

Soldato
For those that own a HP Touchpad running Android - what is the real incentive to own a Nexus 7? Don't get me wrong, I've been excited like everyone and have one on pre-order. But I'm now wondering what this will give me over a Touchpad?

Obviously a 7-inch versus 9.7-inch display is chalk and cheese, I can see the 7-inch being very useful for reading and playing games. However, I'd still prefer to browse on a larger display.

The only advantages the Nexus 7 offers that I can see is a faster processer, higher pixel density display and Android 4.1. However, if you are prepared to wait, CM10 will bring all the goodness of Jelly Bean and therefore it mainly comes down to the quad-core processor and screen pixel density. I have no problems with performance on the Touchpad running CM9, so I'm now beginning to wonder do I really need one. Anyone in a similar boat?
I sold my Touchpad because with CM9 the wireless was terrible and the standby time was very poor. On WebOS there were too many niggles to use it properly.

I am hoping the nexus 7 gets fast updates, great standby times and a stable wireless connection.

Back
Top Bottom