**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Broke my pixel 2 a few weeks back, dropped it, screen cracked and can't see anything. It responds, for example when I touch the fingerprint unlock there is a vibration.

I can get it repaired on insurance for £100, it it worth it though, as all i'd be doing would be selling it on straight away. Ebay prices fluctuate massively and can't really get a clear view on what they sell for on genuine auctions. I'd most likely bung it on fb marketplace or gumtree though.

The other thing is that I can't wipe it, i've tried remotely and it won't connect and I didn't enable the option when I bought it that allows me to connect by USB and control the device. Just wondering what shenanigans if any the repair folks could/would get up to. I've remotely logged out of google services for that device and all thats really left on there is photos from the last few years and some silly videos.

Associate
Personally in your shoes I wouldn’t bother repairing it, they’re worth not much more than that now anyway, is it worth the hassle? If you decide not to just drop it in a river or destroy it and then nobody is getting anything off it.

Associate
So P2XL #3 has landed and has been set up.

How long do we think this one will last? :D I'll give it a week... (and if it does then it'll last longer than the last one, at least!)

Associate
Sell it now while it's fresh.

Yes, the thought had crossed my mind... however... I need to buy a house next year (as well as try and pay off the remainder of a debt) so if possible part of me would like to keep it for another year... although part of me does want a new toy, but those new toys don’t seem much better than the toy I already have.

That said if I have to RMA again, I’ll be doing exactly what you suggest.

Soldato
Personally in your shoes I wouldn’t bother repairing it, they’re worth not much more than that now anyway, is it worth the hassle? If you decide not to just drop it in a river or destroy it and then nobody is getting anything off it.

That's kinda what I thought, probably make very little on it.

Not too worried about making the data irretrievable, however I am tempted to pick up a replacement screen and have a go at repairing myself just to see how hard it is.

Associate
Well had it 18 hours now and its been flawless. Miracles do happen. I’ve probably jinxed it! I think its the first time I’ve had one of these go 24 hours without a weird bug. It even feels faster than my first one ever did. Lets see how long it lasts!

Soldato
Took these last night at Surprise View in the Peak District, used the Astro mode Pixel 2XL, not bad at all.

astro5.jpg

astro4.jpg

astro3.jpg

astro2.jpg

astro1.jpg

Associate
Speakers are buzzing like a good'un on my 2XL, am I right in saying these have a 2-year warranty with Google? The only problem is, my screen is badly cracked at the bottom so no idea how they'd deal with it... I'm loathed to spend the £100 excess on my bank's phone insurance when the handset is barely worth that now.

Associate
So I resisted the Pixel 4. Not hard to really, just too flawed and not enough of an improvement at this stage.

Anyway, just got the December 2019 update, a couple of nice things I noticed are the swipe down on the screen gesture for notifications and the new themes support. One custom theme later and Android 10 is looking pretty gorgeous these days.

Also downloaded Camera PX, which gives the super res zoom feature. Took a quick snap in the house at a logo at 4x zoom and the result was surprisingly much better so it does work. Well worth downloading, although it did crash the first time I used it, but you don’t need to replace the original camera so no real risk.

At this point I feel like I got 90% of a Pixel 4XL here. Also its the first time I’ve ever had a daily driver phone over 2 years! Wait and see what the Pixel 5 brings next year!

Back
Top Bottom