**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
I had a nexus 4 from playstore. 5 was a complete fluke, heard theyd been launched, walked into a store before i started work and they had a couple on the counter (release day). My 5x i pre ordered with an instore delivery as i worked very close to the town centre. No issues with CPWH other than always having to queue.

Permabanned
OP
Did anyone else catch Google's thinking behind removing the headphone jack on the Pixel 2s?

According to an interview given by Mario Queiroz, Google's Product chief, to TechCrunch, Google wants to make future Pixel phones with thinner bezels around the display, and removing the headphone jack "sooner rather than later" will make it easier to "make the shift."

So why Google didn't make the shift now and give the Pixel 2 phones the ultra-narrow bezels it wants to add to its future Pixel phones?

Apparently, Google wanted to have two front-facing speakers on its phones, which wouldn't allow for the ultranarrow bezels that you'd find on the iPhone X or Samsung's Galaxy S8 and Note 8 phones, according to TechCrunch.

And of course removing the headphone jack allows Google to sell the Pixel Bud earphones, competing of course with Apple's AirPods.

Google did say the Pixel 2 phones will come with a USB-C headphone-jack adapter — in case your wireless headphone batteries die, or if you plan on keeping your wired headphones.

Hmmm...

Last edited:
Associate

maybe when people stop buying every new iteration of a product just because it's new and actually start employing the power they have to vote with their wallets, producers will start making products people actually want and not the products they want people to want. Of course, with so many fan boys who'll rush out and buy the Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL even though its mediocre, Google most certainly will continue to think they're doing something right.

Soldato
The reality is it's because Apple have done it, nothing more to read into it TBH.
That and to make more money from accessories. I like google but this move has been disappointing. It's all to do with greed.

The Pixel pricing is also too high for such an average phone. It basically just a slightly repackaged HTC U11 for almost double the price.

Soldato

Wow, I've stopped reading half way through as that guy seems to be an idiot. Yes, a feature has been given a priority early release on Pixel, but others will get it shortly after... what's the issue? 'Google Assistant can only be used with an Android Phone that has Google Assistant'... well... erm... yes, unless you make magical headphones. Music can also only be listened to when the phone has music on it you know... what an idiot.

And at the end of this road, we will have taken a simple, universal thing that enabled a vibrant market with tons of options for every consumer

...and replaced it with Bluetooth, another universal thing that enables a vibrant market with tons of options for every consumer. Douch.

Permabanned
OP
Wow, I've stopped reading half way through as that guy seems to be an idiot. Yes, a feature has been given a priority early release on Pixel, but others will get it shortly after... what's the issue? 'Google Assistant can only be used with an Android Phone that has Google Assistant'... well... erm... yes, unless you make magical headphones. Music can also only be listened to when the phone has music on it you know... what an idiot.

...and replaced it with Bluetooth, another universal thing that enables a vibrant market with tons of options for every consumer. Douch.

There was one quote in the Verge story which you highlight that also made me think of another possible reason for Google's removal of the headphone jack. The quote is:

"Seamless fast pairing? You need Android N or higher, which most Android phones don’t have."

I have commented many times on a major difference between Apple phones and Android phones. With Apple users can update the operating system quickly and within a short time, a majority of their phones get the update. In contrast, Android OS updates are much slower to reach the majority of Android users. I mentioned recently that Android N is on 0.2% of all Android phones currently, even though N has been out for many weeks.

Google wants to get its OS updates out to users quickly but lacking a proprietary system like Apple, they rely on OEMs and operators. OEMs do not have a strong incentive as margins are thin on phone sales to begin with. Google is faced with a dilemma and needs to solve it or otherwise, creating great software with AI capabilities will only reach a few Android users and given the time it takes to reach more than this handful, gives its competition time to match Google's latest and greatest.

If Pixel Buds (being GA capable and having an intriguing translation capability) were to become a raging success (eg, like Chromecast has become), it would create strong momentum for users to want to own a phone with the capability to use Pixel Buds and hence Android N hosted phones would become more sought after. OEMs would be faced with either losing sales to Pixel phones or quickly upgrading to Android N.

How successful can Pixel Buds become?

Associate
Very underwhelmed with the Pixel 2's. Specs are decent but really, all this nonsense about bezels is stupid. You need to be able to comfortably hold a phone without the finger tips of the hand holding the phone actually touching the screen. (I also think having the fingerprint sensor on the front is much nicer but less of an issue)
It really seems like Google is just doing/trying to be apple with their changes and prices.
And the tech websites just lap it up, one of them stating about Google showing courage by following Apple and not having a headphone jack. What nonsense is this...
Having to use a dongle is not the same, it adds bulk, can be lost, and the usb-c connector is no where near as durable as the 3.5mm jack, (you can look at the insertion deference as a start) also the 3.5mm jack is designed to be able to rotate in the socket therefore relieving stress and failure from twisting. And that's not even getting to the fact that there are many many reasons to keep the jack, auxiliary cables to connect to hi-fi separates, cars, DJ mixers/mixing desks, line in on your computer etc etc. Bluetooth can not compare on quality (ofcourse if all you do is stream crap quality via Spotify then you won't notice or care).
Anyhow, I was expecting something more or a much more reasonable price plus wireless charging.
I find it strange that I've been more impressed by the complete packages/prices provided by the Nokia 8 and Xiaomi Mi A1 than pretty much anything else released this year. (The OnePlus 5 seems a decent option this year too)
Pixel 2, squeezable sides, don't care, maybe if it was used for a game it would be OK, but the sides are for holding your phone not modulating holding pressure to get it to do some action.
Dual front facing speakers... Woo, my HTC One m7 had that and a much nicer design/style too.

It seems like Samsung would probably clean up if they released an S8 with pure Android.

Side note: Regarding Carphone Warhouse, I've dealt with them in the past and the service was fine, and would have no issues using them again.

Soldato
Black XL 2 64gb ordered via EE with 20% discount worked out cheaper than buying outright as i needed to factor in a sim service of minimum £12 per month over 2years.

total i am paying after £90 cashback from quidco is £1000 with BT sports, free home mini and 8gb of data.

if anyone wants my 20% code pm me

It is from myrewards via my work which is fairly generic in the corp world

Not a massive jump from the Pixel 1 XL but excited anyway.

Soldato
I don't understand this need for good speakers, all it encourages are chav behaviours who play their music loud in public.

Yea I don't get it either man, this apparent need for stereo over mono, maybe I just don't sit watching on videos on my phone for long enough to "appreciate" it.

Soldato
if anyone wants my 20% code pm me

Have sent you a trust. Planning on ordering a 128GB 2XL today so this comes as a very nice surprise :D

EDIT: Just had a read of the Quidco T&C's and it states:

"Cashback will not be paid in conjunction with any other offer, voucher or discount code unless listed on this page, or with any other discounts such as staff or student discounts"

So surely that means it will be denied when using a discount code?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Very underwhelmed with the Pixel 2's. Specs are decent but really, all this nonsense about bezels is stupid. You need to be able to comfortably hold a phone without the finger tips of the hand holding the phone actually touching the screen. (I also think having the fingerprint sensor on the front is much nicer but less of an issue)
It really seems like Google is just doing/trying to be apple with their changes and prices.
And the tech websites just lap it up, one of them stating about Google showing courage by following Apple and not having a headphone jack. What nonsense is this...
Having to use a dongle is not the same, it adds bulk, can be lost, and the usb-c connector is no where near as durable as the 3.5mm jack, (you can look at the insertion deference as a start) also the 3.5mm jack is designed to be able to rotate in the socket therefore relieving stress and failure from twisting. And that's not even getting to the fact that there are many many reasons to keep the jack, auxiliary cables to connect to hi-fi separates, cars, DJ mixers/mixing desks, line in on your computer etc etc. Bluetooth can not compare on quality (ofcourse if all you do is stream crap quality via Spotify then you won't notice or care).
Anyhow, I was expecting something more or a much more reasonable price plus wireless charging.
I find it strange that I've been more impressed by the complete packages/prices provided by the Nokia 8 and Xiaomi Mi A1 than pretty much anything else released this year. (The OnePlus 5 seems a decent option this year too)
Pixel 2, squeezable sides, don't care, maybe if it was used for a game it would be OK, but the sides are for holding your phone not modulating holding pressure to get it to do some action.
Dual front facing speakers... Woo, my HTC One m7 had that and a much nicer design/style too.

It seems like Samsung would probably clean up if they released an S8 with pure Android.

Side note: Regarding Carphone Warhouse, I've dealt with them in the past and the service was fine, and would have no issues using them again.

I have read your post and wonder if the bottom line of your "gripe" is ultimately just pricing? Reasonable people can hold reasonably different opinions about Pixel 2 pricing.

But your emphasis throughout your post is hardware and in my opinion, you missed the forest for the trees. I did not see a single reference to software. Perhaps I was listening to a different Press conference than you? If you listened to the last Apple presentation, it was loaded with talk about chip speeds and screen resolution. Google spent little time on product specs.

I am of the view that we have reached a near-term limit on what can be made new in hardware -- it is becoming an increasing commodity-driven business, esp with the invasion of Chinese OEMs into international markets. Sure we can tweak around the edges of hardware but to be a Pixel 2 owner, I believe you are increasingly buying into Google's vision that the real quantum leaps now will be in software: esp AI and machine learning. Google's CEO spent ten minutes talking about how AI was helping Google Maps and translations. Simply put, Google wants a radical rethink about how computing should work.

Catching up to Apple and Samsung? Google said that they were not the first to do email or search but that their approaches redefined what email and search should do. The result speaks for itself. Will they repeat in the hardware business? Their answer: AI.

The AI makeover was on full display at the presentation. Pixel 2 phones come with an image recognition app called Lens that can help a user find info about from a film poster or ad simply by pointing the camera. The new "smart speaker" uses AI to adjust its sound for the layout of a room. The new wireless headphones let you get instant translation of different languages.

My bottom line: Buying a Pixel is a buy-in to Google's re-imagining what a smartphone can do.

Back
Top Bottom