**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Soldato
I'll be tolerant to an extent of the odd issue on a £400 phone (less if you include the freebies on ordering) but this would be unacceptable on a flagship.

Let's see how they handle it. I'm really hoping it's just software and be patched out. If it's hardware I might be slightly more annoyed.

That's the issue though, there's always something, sure the same can be said about other flagships but Google have been releasing phones with issues for a while now. Hoping the Quality Control improves in time for the Pixel 4 release. Hopefully like you say it's more of a software than hardware issue but relating to charging, could very well be hardware.

Soldato
I don't think the shut off issue is related to battery or charging, at least I haven't read anything to suggest that. It happens to me at any battery % the only thing in common is the phone will be idle. I can use very intensive apps and no issues with power. Let's see what they find anyway! I think they want some logs from me next and hopefully they contain what was triggered just before the shut down.

Also I performed a factory reset, this fixed it for 3 days. Prior to that I was getting 3 shutdowns a day. It has to be something software in the background IMO. Fingers crossed anyway.

Soldato
Right so I’ve been experimenting with the shutdown issue on my 3a. I think it’s related to the ambient display and proximity sensor.

If the phone is out on a desk all day with ambient display on, no shutdown issues.
If the phone is in your pocket and the proximity sensor has turned off the ambient display to save battery, it’ll occasionally shutdown.
Disabled ambient display and no shutdown *so far*.

If anyone else has any shutdown issues try disabling the same?

Soldato
If you buy the phone from somewhere other than Google will Google still support these issues if they come about?

I've got to the point where they want to replace the handset.

In the first instance they ask you to go back to the retailer for a replacement. They have offered to replace it direct but it's under a 5-10 day turnaround service and you have to send in the faulty handset first. So yes they'll support it, but not quite the service you would get from the Play store.

Associate
Well rather than get my money back i decided i'll give it one last chance so got another replacement from CPW.
The shutdown problem began for me when i turned off the Always On Display then left it to sit idle for a while.

My replacement I've left it sat on the desk with AOD on for 3 days now and this one hasn't shutdown yet, so later on this afternoon I'm going to turn it off and see if it does it again if it does then i'm 95% sure it's software related, but the question is how long will it take Google to acknowledge this problem & release a fix.

Soldato
So it shut down again even with ambient display disabled. I'm sure this is software. It only happens when something is close to the screen which has disabled notifications. If I leave the phone on a desk it never ever shuts down.

Associate
I think it’s more likely software related because after the shutdown, there was no sign of any hardware problems once it booted back up again.

Soldato
Well ive had a little mishap. Went to send my Pixel 3 off, and must have snapped a piece in the sim card tray (using a paper clip lesson learnt) now the simcard tray wont stay shut. Ive sent it off anyway, whats the odds they turn around now and say its not covered as i broke that part or am i just worrying over nothing.

Soldato
Oh, not in the tray itself then? That makes a little more sense. I guess your only problem would be if they replaced the USB port and sent the same phone back. I would imagine you will be sent a reconditioned device though, so you'll likely be fine.

Soldato
So chaps, this phone is currently at the top of my list at £24 per month with unlimited calls and texts and 5gb of data. After a decade of Apple hand-me-downs (the last being a 5s which I recently bricked) - this seems like a very good deal. Any warnings before I pull the trigger?

Soldato
Soldato
Ok. I am thinking of getting this phone(3a XL)..there seems to be a lot of problems with the pixels phones? Or just if there's no problem I don't report it sort of thing..
I've had no issues with my Pixel 2, slight build quality issues with my Pixel 1.

I'd go for it, there is quite a vocal minority with issues imo

Back
Top Bottom