**** The Official Google Pixel 4 Thread ****

Associate
It does, as I said on the last page...

and to confirm that above statement, the option was there, in the leaked pre release phones. Its not there in the release versions of the phone. :confused:

And it won't be for the near future.
"Google has confirmed to me: this is how Face Unlock will work when the Pixel 4 goes on sale. There will not be a "require eyes to be open" option at launch. #madebygoogle #pixel4"
https://twitter.com/thisisFoxx/status/1184850685587787776?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Guess it'll be added later on down the line or not at all?

Soldato
And it won't be for the near future.

'This is how it is on launch' means 'entire near future?' So it could be done in two months perhaps... surely that's near future? It could even be the next security patch, a week or so after release, for all we know. It gets released in what, a week and a bit. They have just said it will be like this then...

Soldato
Buy a phone with an FPS if you want an FPS!

I've got one already; the 2XL.

However I was preparing to get the Pixel 4 as I would like to go back to a slightly smaller handset, until this revelation. They have pretty much saved me £670 by omitting a feature that had just about started to become ubiquitous, and there was NOTHING wrong with it. I could kind of understand the removal of the 3.5mm inputs, as BT is almost getting there and is clearly the future, but the FR and FPS could live together - you don't need to get rid of one for the other unless you REALLY want to push that method. I don't like FR and I never will, not because I don't think it's clever or works well, but because it's ****ing creepy and not needed in spite of the FPS.

Look, I'm still bitter about the end of the Nexus line and then having to get 4 2XLs before I got a screen without any dead pixels. I've only really fancied 1 out the first 4 Pixel seasons, where as I had to have every Nexus bar the 6P. I love Googles software but detest their build quality and design choices since bringing the phones in house, the sycophantic behaviour should have ended when sesevans was finally banned from the forum, but it seems to live on Apple style for some reason - I guess that's what Google wanted to tap into.

Soldato
I've got one already; the 2XL.

However I was preparing to get the Pixel 4 as I would like to go back to a slightly smaller handset, until this revelation. They have pretty much saved me £670 by omitting a feature that had just about started to become ubiquitous, and there was NOTHING wrong with it. I could kind of understand the removal of the 3.5mm inputs, as BT is almost getting there and is clearly the future, but the FR and FPS could live together - you don't need to get rid of one for the other unless you REALLY want to push that method. I don't like FR and I never will, not because I don't think it's clever or works well, but because it's ****ing creepy and not needed in spite of the FPS.

Look, I'm still bitter about the end of the Nexus line and then having to get 4 2XLs before I got a screen without any dead pixels. I've only really fancied 1 out the first 4 Pixel seasons, where as I had to have every Nexus bar the 6P. I love Googles software but detest their build quality and design choices since bringing the phones in house, the sycophantic behaviour should have ended when sesevans was finally banned from the forum, but it seems to live on Apple style for some reason - I guess that's what Google wanted to tap into.

You either adapt or you don’t, really.

Soldato
I really don't understand why people rave about the Nexus lines, yes they were cheap but they also felt cheap and had woeful cameras (the only exception to that rule was possibly the Nexus 6). I'm well placed to state that too as I owned every Nexus from the Galaxy Nexus, including the Nexus 10.

Why do you find the face unlock to be creepy? Your face isn't sent to Google's servers, it's all processed by the visual core and authenticated by the Titan M chip.

The fingerprint sensor did have it's shortcomings, such as not working with gloves or if your finger was wet for example.

If we're going to act like primadonnas about face unlock then lets get some perspective. Face unlock and fingerprint scanners aren't as secure as passwords purely because situations exist where you can be more easily forced to provide your finger or to look at your phone, versus being forced to reveal your password.

Does that even matter? In majority of situations probably not because most petty thieves won't go to those lengths and I'm guessing 99.9% of us don't have state secret information on our phones that others are after.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I really don't understand why people rave about the Nexus lines, yes they were cheap but they also felt cheap and had woeful cameras (the only exception to that rule was possibly the Nexus 6). I'm well placed to state that too as I owned every Nexus from the Galaxy Nexus, including the Nexus 10.
The Nexus 6P would like a word. ;)

I also owned most of the Nexus line at one point or another.

Anyway, in other news.
Android 10 on the Pixel 4 supports gesture navigation with third-party launchers

Soldato
If we're going to act like primadonnas about face unlock then lets get some perspective. Face unlock and fingerprint scanners aren't as secure as passwords purely because situations exist where you can be more easily forced to provide your finger or to look at your phone, versus being forced to reveal your password.

Banks use it. It's bad

Soldato
The Nexus 6P would like a word. ;)

I also owned most of the Nexus line at one point or another.

Anyway, in other news.
Android 10 on the Pixel 4 supports gesture navigation with third-party launchers

Being honest I forgot about the 6P (I discounted the 6P because like the 6, it was just too big for me personally), however, the 6P had quality issues too which resulted in class action lawsuits in the States.

Banks use it. It's bad

What's your point? Genuine question. If your point is banking applications can't use face authentication then you're incorrect as banking applications use FaceID on iPhone and banking applications on Android use the biometric API and therefore will support face unlock.

If your point is in regards to security, then again, it's a moot point because if someone has access to your face through you being asleep or through force, then they have just as equal access to your fingerprint in those scenarios.

Soldato
If your point is in regards to security, then again, it's a moot point because if someone has access to your face through you being asleep or through force, then they have just as equal access to your fingerprint in those scenarios.

Or your password by threatening to stab you for it.

Associate
You either adapt or you don’t, really.

This.

There were actually plenty of things wrong with the fingerprint sensor. Didn't work if it was dirty. Didn't work if fingers are dirty/wet. Could cause your phone to unlock if you accidentally touched it in your pocket. Lots of flaws, really.

I've been using an iPhone this week and FaceID is absolutely superb IMO. If the Pixel implementation can match it then I think it's a big win for the Pixel.

Soldato
Agree. I hated the idea of face id and couldn't fathom how anyone would prefer it until I actually used it myself and realised it's actually far far better than a FPS (especially these half baked under screen types).
Regarding the pixel4 I think I'll sit tight with my mate 20 pro for another 6 months and see if there's a 4a announced next year. Can't justify the expense right now.

Back
Top Bottom