***The Official Gran Turismo 5 Thread***

Soldato
Surprised nobodys posted...

As their are several new videos taken from a new demo which appeared during the Nurburgring 24Hr race this week.
Visuals have been improved and this track looks better than ever....

:)

[SIZE="-2"]Back to my cave....[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Soldato
The footage is nothing special. In fact the footage from behind the car looked very dodgy. The physics looked wrong, if that makes sense.

Caporegime
The footage is nothing special. In fact the footage from behind the car looked very dodgy. The physics looked wrong, if that makes sense.

The one with the follow cam does look weird - like the car is turning from the middle, like rotating on it's centre of gravity. It looks like it just slides around.

Associate
The one with the follow cam does look weird - like the car is turning from the middle, like rotating on it's centre of gravity. It looks like it just slides around.

It looks like an F1 car with a broken suspension in terms of the 'crabbing' effect that I'm seeing there.

It just does not look anywhere near as good as FM3. I hope I am proved wrong.

Soldato
Another video of GT5, looks like the speed complaint many have mentioned has been sorted, going through the forest looks fast. Less than a month to go for the big reveal (fingers crossed)

Seemed a lot faster than GT5P as far as i recall.

Last edited:
Soldato
As much as I love the look of gt5, if it has that ******* ridicules penalizing system like in gtp, where you lose excelleration for bumping other cars, lets just say WILL IT BLEND!

Caporegime
As much as I love the look of gt5, if it has that ******* ridicules penalizing system like in gtp, where you lose excelleration for bumping other cars, lets just say WILL IT BLEND!

Hated that, and on Gran Turismo 4, on the rally stages I would get penalised even if the computer opponent was the one that bumped into me...
:mad:

Soldato
Hated that, and on Gran Turismo 4, on the rally stages I would get penalised even if the computer opponent was the one that bumped into me...
:mad:

The thing is me and my house mate played it for hours till our eyes started to tremble lol, just to get enough for the formula one car needless to say we couldn't complete the game to buy the car! We could have cried seriously depressing, all that for sweet F A Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:(.

Come to think of it Mr killswitch you are the only person on these boards to my knowledge that understands my pain.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The thing is me and my house mate played it for hours till our eyes started to tremble lol, just to get enough for the formula one car needless to say we couldn't complete the game to buy the car! We could have cried seriously depressing, all that for sweet F A Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:(.

Come to think of it Mr killswitch you are the only person on these boards to my knowledge that understands my pain.

Ohhh I understand it. :( :(

I remember in Gran Turismo 3 the F1 car was a bit easier to get, don't think I ever got it in GT4 though. The only races I think you could get it were the "special" license ones and the laps per race was something ridiculous like 50 laps per race! :o

I remember the endurance race you could do around that big oval track, I always cheated and gave my car the tyres that last forever, I'd always pick the Suzuki Pikes Peak and give it the upgrades, then just tape the analogue stick into position, turn the TV off, come back an hour or two later and wayhey an easy 500,000 credits or however much it was. :D

Last edited:
Soldato

but thats a good thing. You don't see real race drivers bumping into other race drivers. This is a sim after all.

I find racing games where you can bump off other cars and still keeping going at full speed kinda lame.

Caporegime
but thats a good thing. You don't see real race drivers bumping into other race drivers. This is a sim after all.

I find racing games where you can bump off other cars and still keeping going at full speed kinda lame.

What annoyed me was that I would get penalised for the CPU driving into the back of me. Kinda sucked, but still a great game no doubt. Although the first one is still my fave. :)

Soldato
And some hands on time, looks like the big news will be at gamescon in august.

From Gamespot,
At one point during the presentation, while showing off close-ups of engines, wheels, and grilles that compared real photos to GT5 screenshots (almost impossible to distinguish between the two), Yamauchi conceded that his team has "actually gone too far in modeling some of this detail" and even went so far as to suggest that it might be "more suited to the next generation of PlayStation." The most impressive of these shots--even more impressive than the Audi wheels and ceramic brakes, or the Ferrari engine underneath a glass hood--was undoubtedly the one that showed the interior of a race car, possibly a Nascar. The interior was absolutely packed with minute details, including a carbon fiber panel of switches and buttons, safety wires, and of course the driver's harness.

Speaking of Nascar, nine different models of Nascar have been confirmed for inclusion in Gran Turismo 5, and Yamauchi is hopeful that additional models will be added either prior to or after the game's release. All of the Nascar rules will be in full effect, and we got to see some great-looking screenshots of pit crews working on cars. At the request of Nascar, you'll be able to use their cars on tracks other than those that they're normally raced on, and according to Yamauchi they're extremely quick even on circuits like the Nurburgring.

Germany's Nurburgring is one of six previously unconfirmed tracks for GT5 being shown at this year's E3. The other five are Circuit de la Sarthe, Rome, Madrid, Tuscany, and the test track from BBC's Top Gear TV show. All of them are, predictably, incredibly detailed, and Yamauchi revealed that the city circuits of Madrid and Rome (the latter of which incorporates the incredible-looking coliseum) each took two years to finish. The Tuscany track, on the other hand, will see you racing through a wide-open environment comprised largely of fields. The most impressive track, though, was the Nurburgring, not only because it's so huge, but also because of the ridiculous amount of work that has gone into recreating it. For example, when racing in a 24-hour event at the track (which you will have the option to do in real time), you'll not only get to see the day-night transition but, because it's such a long event, you'll notice that many of the spectators have tents or camper vans that aren't there during normal races. Polyphony Digital has photographed every inch of the famously graffiti-daubed track in order to make the sure that it's as accurate and as up-to-date as possible in the game. Some of the offensive stuff has been removed, but if you've written something family-friendly on the track in the past year or two, there's a good chance it's made it into the game. And hey, you can even take a photo of it as proof.
Next up was a look at Gran Turismo 5's online suite which, if it works as intended, has the potential to be something very special. Every player will have his or her own "lounge" area where they can meet with friends to chat or to arrange, spectate, and compete in races. Friends will have access to your lounge even when you're not online if they wish to use it as a meeting place, though you will of course have the option to password protect it if necessary. When you initiate a race from a lounge, any spectator text comments will be visible to you in-game. Comments included in the E3 screenshots all came courtesy of players named after Star Trek: The Next Generation characters, and one of them piqued our interest because it mentioned watching the BBC show Top Gear on GTTV--a feature confirmed back in 2007 that, to be perfectly honest, this writer had forgotten about. Another, which came from a "G. L. Forge" mentioned that he'd love to see motorcycles in the game in future. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the U.S.S. Enterprise's chief engineer gets his wish, though it seems highly unlikely even as DLC at this point.
Getting the head-tracking working correctly, especially in a busy tradeshow environment, appears to be something of an undertaking. There were a dozen or so different variables being changed with sliders onscreen as we waited, and while the camera was clearly able to recognize and track the movement of a player's head, the way the game and steering wheel were setup ultimately resulted in the camera being a bit closer to the player than it's ever likely to be in your living room. Regardless, with some exaggerated head movements, we were indeed able to look left and right from inside the cockpit of the Dodge Challenger that we'd opted to take for a spin around the new Rome street circuit. Unsurprisingly, particularly given that we were using a force feedback steering wheel to play, the car handled very believably and, unsurprisingly, it took us a couple of corners (and a couple of spins/collisions) before we felt completely comfortable with it. The effect of the 3D was also quite impressive, and while it won't add to the game the same way that the head-tracking will, it's as good a reason as any to invest in 3D-capable hardware if you're still in need of a good excuse to do so.

From IGN
At a presentation at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles this week, creator Kazunori Yamauchi went into more detail about Gran Turismo 5, including how all those cars will appear in the game. There are two categories of vehicles in GT5 – Premium and Standard. The majority of the cars (more than 800) fall into the Standard category and are made up largely of the rides that have been included in all past GT games. But that doesn't mean they're simple copies. All are painstakingly modeled to take advantage of the PS3's graphics shader. They also sport physics-based damage modeling, and they'll show scratches, dust and dents collected during races. The Premium cars, of which there are more than 200, will have all those features plus fully rendered interiors and true damage modeling. That means panel separation and deformation – the ugly stuff.

Gran Turismo 5 also includes rollovers, which means Polyphony has accurately modeled the bottoms of the cars as well. In case you weren't aware, Kazunori and his team are fanatical about detail in Gran Turismo games. You'll be able to see the bolts on exhaust pipes and the brushed textures of carbon. When detail screenshots of a few GT cars were shown next to their real-life counterparts, the two were nearly indistinguishable. That goes for the interiors of the Premium cars as well. Kazunori showed the interior of a GT500 race car, complete with harness, switches and wiring. It, too, was remarkably similar to a still image of the real version. Impressive stuff.

Better yet, snap some pictures and savor your destructive memories. In addition to the standard Race Photo Mode, which lets you pause the action and take photos of your cars in action, Gran Turismo 5 also includes a new feature called Photo Travel Mode. Special areas have been created where you can take your car, get out, walk around (in a first-person view) and take pictures of your ride in these beautiful settings. The E3 demo included a shrine in Kyoto, an Italian abbey called San Galagno and Red Bull's impressive Hangar 7. These locations come complete with authentic environmental sound and historical information.

Gran Turismo has included the concept of a 'home' area since the first game. But the new game will finally bring that idea online. The GT Life section of Home in Gran Turismo 5 tracks your licenses, trophies, cars and more. And with a couple quick clicks you can find out how you stack up to your friends. But it gets more interactive than that. You'll also see a section called GT Lounge that serves as your own personal lobby where your friends can come and race, observe or just hang out. Kazunori described it as if you and your friends rented out a racetrack for the day. You might race a bit, and you might hang out in the paddock with a radio talking your buddies around corners. GT5 even has message boards, email and text chat built right in to your personal GT Lounge.
With the addition of the PlayStation Eye and a pair of Sony 3D glasses, you'll be able to play the game in 3D and make use of the game's head-tracking system. Move your head, it your perspective will change in the car. We asked Kazunori if Polyphony had any plans to implement PlayStation Move technology in Gran Turismo 5.

"We haven't really made a decision on whether we will use the Move. For the most part, GT5 will be best played with a pad or a wheel," he replied.

Expect a lot more on Gran Turismo 5 at the Gamescom European gaming convention in August, where Polyphony is expected to finally reveal all. IGN will be there to bring it to you, so stay tuned for more GT5 news and impressions.

:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom