***The Official Guitar Thread***

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Weirdly enough, I found the green "metal" THR10X most suitable for blues tones. Sweet tones. I've had quite a few valve and mosfet amps and a lot of emulator amps over the years, but THR is just ->there<- in terms of sound, especially at low volumes, even though it lacks a lot of models and features compared to competition. I'm seriously thinking of selling all the boxes and buying THR100H Dual with 2x12 cab in that weird stereo mode.

Soldato
I had a razz on a blues box yesterday - to whoever mentioned that earlier (Raymond I think) then thank you. It is indeed a wonderful amp and when payday has passed I am getting one. THR10C and 60w Blues Box will do me just find for anything now I reckon.

I liked the X too but the C was more for me. Both great amps though really really good.

Caporegime
I had a razz on a blues box yesterday - to whoever mentioned that earlier (Raymond I think) then thank you. It is indeed a wonderful amp and when payday has passed I am getting one. THR10C and 60w Blues Box will do me just find for anything now I reckon.

I liked the X too but the C was more for me. Both great amps though really really good.

The £700 ish one? If it's that one then yes it was me, it holds its own against valve amps 3 times its price tag.

Associate
Am I wrong for owning 6 guitars but not owning an amp at all? I use sofware. Traditionally, most software sims are rubbish to be fair (read NI Guitar Rig) but since finding Scuffham S-Gear I have got rid of all the big noisy boxes and gone fully digital. Took me some time to get a computer and audio interface and Pedal Controller to get it all working silky smooth, but now I can fit it all into a guitar case and be away. I'll warrant that S-Gear beats any Line 6 or Eleven Rack, or hardware pedal board amp sim device off the cuff in terms of expression, volume and velocity control and feels like a real amp when playing (assuming you can get your latency down to >5ms). Those with the latest and greatest amplifiers I'll be interested what you think. Theres a 14 day trail available if you fancy it. Not that I'm ever going back to lugging a huge amp around...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Am I wrong for owning 6 guitars but not owning an amp at all?

Not at all.
I started in 1970 with a Hofner into a Marshall, went through various amps including Marshall and Hiwatt stacks but now I'm going through a powered PA speaker behind me which also goes into a 3000 watt PA.
I now have every sound I've ever wanted on stage going through a guitar synth.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Not at all.
I started in 1970 with a Hofner into a Marshall, went through various amps including Marshall and Hiwatt stacks but now I'm going through a powered PA speaker behind me which also goes into a 3000 watt PA.
I now have every sound I've ever wanted on stage going through a guitar synth.

Yeah, but that's a tragic side effect of you playing next to real amp and real cabinet for too many years - you've gone deaf. We know you've gone half deaf because (wait for it, dramatic chipmunk pause) that Roland Synth sounds awful. I'm sorry Dimple, I'm with you on many things, I'm with you on Variax, I'm with you on amp emus, but Roland is where I draw the line.

Roland synths were awful when Jimmy Page sold out to pimp the first generation of them and they still sound awful today. Or let me rephrase it - they sound exactly as their target customer base would expect. Unfortunately their target customer base is a sea side resort "available for weddings and bar mitzvahs" quartet still sporting high waist acid wash jeans, Sony & Tubbs jackets with turn ups and bleached Limahl mullets. That "Careless Whispers" sax solo in the you tube demo couldn't be any more on the nose.

Now that I got it off my chest, it's like a non chambered Les Paul weight off my shoulders - group hug everyone? :D

Soldato
Lol, that's a bit harsh! I get what you are saying but I do think they have more of a place than in where you state. Incidentally I got an electric piano the other day and I do admit the Rolands did sound a bit "Elton John".

Man of Honour
Well No 1, my hearing was fixed in December and I now have virtual 20/20 hearing which is why I went and bought DAC and triple driver in ear headphones.

No 2, many of the guitar sounds on the GR55 I would put in a blind test against their real alternatives. I've had so many valve musicians listening to me who don't like the magic but agree they can't tell.

No 3, I don't give a fig what you think because you're like a lot of people who don't want change like I used to be but I grew out of it. My goal is to get my lead guitarist converted and he's very close.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the pick recommendation - I've always opted for .60s myself. But they don't help the scratchiness!

Tbh I think unless the tone is awful, it doesn't really, really, matter unless you are recording.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with awful tones - I saw The White Stripes before they were famous and he made some god damn awful tones sound that awful they went full circle and ended up pretty awesome!

Man of Honour
I've just noticed Von is talking about the synth sounds from the video, I'm using the guitar/amp sounds on it that are taken from the V99! which are awesome.
I have just been asked if I can do a harpsichord bit though for Eve Of War.
Otherwise I actually agree with his comments.

I'm not typing on my phone now :D

If I was standing in an audience watching a guitarist play synth sounds I'd also be thinking wedding band but just to clarify I'm playing all guitar sounds in this new band and they are spot on after a bit of tweaking.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should be more open to different styles of playing. It would be like switching off because you see a chap with a Kramer and think he is just going to do mindless arpeggios and think that in some way is interesting and talented (it's not it's ****ing lame and you could train a chimp to do it). Or seeing someone with with an acoustic and presuming they were going to play 50 variations using C G A and D with a plucky badly held F in thrown in for good measure. Your problem is with arse players playing arse tunes not the actual instrument!

Man of Honour
You should be more open to different styles of playing. It would be like switching off because you see a chap with a Kramer and think he is just going to do mindless arpeggios and think that in some way is interesting and talented (it's not it's ****ing lame and you could train a chimp to do it). Or seeing someone with with an acoustic and presuming they were going to play 50 variations using C G A and D with a plucky badly held F in thrown in for good measure. Your problem is with arse players playing arse tunes not the actual instrument!

Who is this aimed at Xordium?

Anyway, that acoustic player is now me and I play a barre F :D
I'm getting a Roland GT3 pickup for my Yamaha acoustic and I'll guarantee that not one member of the audience (including musicians) will realise I'm playing all my acoustic sounds from the Roland.

Associate
Where is a good place to sell second hand guitars? I have a Washburn N4esa, that I never really play. Would anyone know how much its worth? It's in really good condition with the case and everything.

Back
Top Bottom