***The Official Guitar Thread***

Man of Honour
OP
Rocksmith downloading and my 1st guitar should arrive today :D

This is going to be a long journey :)
Ace! Let us know how you get on :)

I’ve decided I’m going to get Creeping Death by Metallica down. Damn... that riff is rock solid - harder than Master of Puppets and Blackened IMO. I’ve got it pretty solid at 90% speed but that final 10% really sorts the men from the boys... you have to absolutely smack the strings to make it sounds convincing but doing that whilst minimising movement to maintain speed is a pig. It’s the last two notes of the first bar of the main riff that get me... gah :D

Still a long way to go on the solo too - one big mountain to climb. I’ll be pleased if I can get it down in six months or so.

Caporegime
It is an Epiphone Les Paul 100, they say they have a Les Paul Studio LT in stock which is meant to be similar but considering this is my first, need to do some more research.

Caporegime
Consensus suggested it was a good starter one, particularly with Rocksmith.

From experience? Any recommendations for the £200-300 range?

Soldato
No need to spend so much on a first guitar. Get yourself something like a Fender Squier. With an amp to play with some tones and drum patterns, which can really will help with your timings. My primary practice setup is an electric Squier Affinity Tele with a Vox mini5.

Caporegime
Consensus suggested it was a good starter one, particularly with Rocksmith.

From experience? Any recommendations for the £200-300 range?

You don't really need to be spending 300 on your first guitar....many give up and have expensive dust magnets...

This is a bargain plus the fender amp has aux in so you can connect your phone for backing tracks etc...

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/electric...rSwA-IFhLUusQazDmt5iB9d-dR-WOOgRoCZ7wQAvD_BwE

Cheaper still is a fender squire bullet from the rain forest at £ 113

dont just go for looks alone....sitting with a strat is far more comfortable than sitting with a les Paul...even look at the squire telecasters....great guitars for beer money...

Caporegime
I don't really plan on doing so, that was a generous upper limit. My original budget was around £150 but after reading reviews (I am going the Rocksmith route of learning, so don't think I need an amp yet), settled on the Epiphone Les Paul 100 which is £200. Slightly more expensive but think I saw a couple of reviews that said it was more than just a guitar to learn on and then never touch again. Not too bothered by the looks :p. Will look at your suggestions (thanks :)) - I basically don't want to get an overly cheap/expensive one just for the sake of it, and hopefully want it to last years.

Caporegime
I don't really plan on doing so, that was a generous upper limit. My original budget was around £150 but after reading reviews (I am going the Rocksmith route of learning, so don't think I need an amp yet), settled on the Epiphone Les Paul 100 which is £200. Slightly more expensive but think I saw a couple of reviews that said it was more than just a guitar to learn on and then never touch again. Not too bothered by the looks :p. Will look at your suggestions (thanks :)) - I basically don't want to get an overly cheap/expensive one just for the sake of it, and hopefully want it to last years.

No amp? That's the whole fun of it...cranking it up a bit and playing G C D over and over again loud :D

Then when you get the hang of it.....get an American Gibson or Fender

Your first guitar should be a stepping stone...that's it..

Unless you have the funds....make the learning easy as you can and fun....there are some squires out there that are gems....and many gigging musicians still play them ...

Caporegime
Amp can come later ;) - the walls are thin in my flat and I have just got my first paid of wireless headphones.

Will look into my options as nearly 2 months is a joke!

Man of Honour

This was my SG2000 which I sold for £400, I must have been mad -

sg2000.jpg

there are some squires out there that are gems....and many gigging musicians still play them ...

We have a Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute round here where the guitarist has got two genuine SRV Strats which cost nearly £2000 each but he always plays his Squire that he had from a second hand shop for £30.

Back
Top Bottom