***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
I haven't tried it to be sure but it was just a suggestion on a possible way around the problem he had without breaking the bank. Certainly cheaper than buying a new guitar as he was thinking!

Man of Honour
OP
Oh wow this got resurrected!

I think I might have about .... an hour's free time a day past 11pm at the moment.

No guitar for me :(

I would add that I saw Metallica recently and James powered through Disposable Heroes - that riff :eek: :cool:

Soldato
I reckon a .64 might work for G# depending on the scale length of his guitar.

As long as it flapping around like a slappers you know whats it'll work!

I would add that I saw Metallica recently and James powered through Disposable Heroes - that riff :eek: :cool:

I've booked to see Joe Satriani and Robert Cray at the Symphonic Hall in Birmingham. Looking forward to seeing them play live.

Soldato
Few of mine...

I have 6 in all, Gibson 2007 classic antique, USA 2007 fender strat, in picture. And my black star ht 40 with some of my pedals. Il post some more gear up if anyone's interested

Associate
I sold my PRS CE22 last year as it was just gathering dust in the spare room, which I kind of regret as it was awesome and all the guitar I ever needed, but it was wasted on me. I refurbished my squire showmaster last summer, its now my only electric, I'll post some photos soon its currently in storage till we move house. I play bass now mostly but still love perving at other peoples gear.

Associate
Haven't really played my electric guitars for ages now. Been mostly playing acoustic. Looking to buy something new as I've only had a cheap ovation all these years. Only really used to mess around with it, but playing it now it sounds fairly average and the clarity on the higher notes is awful.

Anyone have any good recommendations for probably an electro-acoustic around the £700 mark?

Soldato
Seagull S6 comes in a variety of flavours including semi acoustic. Can be had for ~ £700 or less depending on finish, ir coastline / maritime etc.

I am biased as I have an old S6 folk, which still plays well despite needing a little bit of tlc.

Faith make some good electro acoustics with a variety to choose around the 600-750 mark.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I have to admit, I always tip a good busker :cool:

Ignore the horrendous bend at 2mins though! Solo starts at 5mins

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Definitely. That busker has a good selection of covers on YouTube. The Hotel California one is particularly good. Great tone!

Man of Honour
OP
Necro-posting for some tab help. Yup, Metallica again, specifically one.

Almost everyone knows the fast riffing section by ear, but I'm not convinced I've seen anyone explain the picking properly. We have (in short hand):

A -----------------2-*-*---------------2-* *--------3-* *-
E -0-0-0-0-0-0----------0-0-0-0-0-0-------- 0-0-0------

The *'s representing how long that B/c chord (or note, above) is held for. So 24 beats in total.

My instinct is to start that third low E section (highlighted with underscore) with a downpick, but that makes hitting the final C chord horrible IMO. So is it:

a) the last four notes are down-up-down-up; or

b) the last four notes up-down-up-down (easier but out of kilt with the natural way to play the first two runs)

c) down-up-down-down (I've seen video lessons doing this... surely not!)

Thoughts? I really don't know. It's too fast so the strip skip, surely.

Last edited:
Soldato
From my metallica bass riffs book (don't sue me Lars....)

the bass follows the guitar, so:

|--3--|--3--| |--3--|--3--| |--3--|--3--|
-------------7-------------7--------------7
0-0-0-0-0-0-0 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 0-0-0-0-0-0-0

d-u-d-u-d-u-d d-u-d-u-d-u-d d-u-d-u-d-u-d

With this in mind, and what you've posted above, I'd be inclined to say the last notes of each 7 note group consists of a down-stroke chugg on both the E and the A string simultaneously, with the last of the triplets you noted in your post being an upstroke from the A to the E string.

Does that make any sense?

One thing I do know for certain - Hetfields right hand downstroke riffing is mean as ****... the second intro riff (the one to four fret stretch one on the E & A string) to master of puppets is all done with down strokes on the guitar. I played the bass part to that with my fingers, so rolling from one string to another with my middle and index finger was easy.
So it's entirely possible he played it with all down-strokes.
Can you see how they do it on their first music video (which just happens to be One).

https://youtu.be/8NhKK8Y-wIo you can kind of see the strumming pattern at the end, but it's not real close. Could be all down-strokes on that last note - would make sense for the E & A string to ring out like that whilst muting the D string.
Having said all that, if you watch hetfield closely all the way through you do see him Up-stroke in the fast section after 'landmine has take my sight' etc
So perhaps the part I outlined above ends with a down-stroke, but the part you show ends with an upstroke?

*derp* my brain hurts now ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the replies, but there are two groups of seven notes and one group of four notes. It's the group of four notes that concerns me.

I agree that for each group of 7, it is clearly: d-u-d-u-d-u-d

And there is no way he's playing the whole thing with downstrokes, no matter how godlike he is :p

Down stroking on the very last note means he surely starts the first note of the four on an upstroke. It's either that or playing two downstrokes in a row, economy picking style, but that's a headache too!

Last edited:
Soldato
Check out the vid - I'm sure the group of four you are referring to ends with an up-stroke; you can see hetfeild pull up off the strings in several places. I'd say the pattern is alternating up/down strokes, whichever starts first to leave you finishing on the right picking movement.

Back
Top Bottom