***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
You've kept that in good nick. I don't own any Gibsons. I've always said my first will be a ES-175. Which of course is never happening but one can dream.

Caporegime
Wish I never gave up guitar lessons when I was 10 - it's my biggest regret. I think I was too busy playing football and other stuff, as kids usually do. 14 years later the Strat sits unused, gathering dust. :(

Damn, what could have been...

Soldato
Wish I never gave up guitar lessons when I was 10 - it's my biggest regret. I think I was too busy playing football and other stuff, as kids usually do. 14 years later the Strat sits unused, gathering dust. :(

So you are 24? Wow go for it still - it's not a case of could have been but still can be. I messed around for years but didn't start really getting serious and having lessons till I was 31. Now I am 41 and I got my ABRSM Music Theory grade 8 last year. I don't learn as quick as I may have done when I younger but I think I certainly learn smarter. I know what I need to do so the time I spend practising is quality not messing around here and there.

Seriously go for it. You don't even need to do grades or reach a highlevel - just have fun and have another way to relax open to you. Hell get Rocksmith or something. It's all about enjoyment at the end of the day.

Edit: Ok I think you should get Rocksmith 2014 and then post videos on here of your progression! In a few years you'll be posting up 100% on The Trooper and stuff like that!

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't take up guitar until I was in my late teens.... because of a girl of course ;-D

I suspect most of us and most of the greats did the same. My dad always gave me good advice - he said if you want girls when you are young make sure you are in a band and make sure you are on the football team and when you are older just make sure you earn a lot of money but don't expect to get the good ones that way just the fun ones.

Man of Honour
This pedal is the main stress I have on stage with my lead guitarist because it makes so much bloody noise in between his Strat and Marshal TSL602.
Every gig I must stick my foot on it at least 10 times to shut the bloody thing up.
Mind you, what an absolutely amazing sound it makes.
Listen to his solos at 2:30 and 4:15

Actually there has been a breakthrough with the bloody noise.
I've been telling him to get a Boss Noise Suppressor for at least 4 years and about 3 weeks ago I linked him to a video of Yngwie Malmsteen showing off his Boss Noise Suppressor with a boost pedal

Anyway, as soon as he saw that he ordered one and claims that it is the best sound he's ever had because he isn't trying to control the feedback any more. It's also put a big smile on my face because he's standing there looking at me saying 'No noise, it's amazing'.

Soldato
Ooh, I like this thread. I've been messing around with guitars off and on for a while, and thought I'd get some nice guitars to start taking it seriously.

IMG_3953_zpsrnvzaaho.jpg

IMG_3956_zpskjuirtsm.jpg

IMG_3952_zps0lgywyuq.jpg

J.T

J.T

Soldato

I only started to learn to play Guitar two years ago, I am now 40 years old and loving every minute of it my only regret being that I didn't take it up earlier but life just seem to get in the way.

It's never to late mate! :)

Here is my Epi Les Paul, love it!

http://1drv.ms/1GWLSg4

Last edited:
Soldato
Which model and what year do you have in mind?

Well I am hoping we can move the conversations from Les Pauls to Gibson's in general and whilst we are on that subject get a 1960 ES-175N. I'll then haggle for an Ibanez PM200 and most likely end up with another pair of socks of some aftershave. :(

Caporegime
Well I am hoping we can move the conversations from Les Pauls to Gibson's in general and whilst we are on that subject get a 1960 ES-175N. I'll then haggle for an Ibanez PM200 and most likely end up with another pair of socks of some aftershave. :(

I am not familiar with the ES-175N i am afraid, but have found this...

https://www.guitarbroker.com/product/1958-gibson-es-175n/

That is quite a specific guitar, any reason why?

Soldato
I am not familiar with the ES-175N i am afraid, but have found this...

https://www.guitarbroker.com/product/1958-gibson-es-175n/

That is quite a specific guitar, any reason why?

I've never played a hollow body electric, how loud are they unplugged?

I am going to try my hand a making a number of slim line contemporary acoustic guitars, and the plans I have in my head are pretty much a slightly thicker electric design that's been chambered quite a bit.

Like the way the Carvin AC375 is, but with a different body shape.

Caporegime
I've never played a hollow body electric, how loud are they unplugged?

I am going to try my hand a making a number of slim line contemporary acoustic guitars, and the plans I have in my head are pretty much a slightly thicker electric design that's been chambered quite a bit.

Like the way the Carvin AC375 is, but with a different body shape.

Well, it depends on a couple of things but they are NOT as loud as the same size (footprint) acoustic as obviously that:-

1 - the top is not made the same
2 - the bracing is different
3 - the way it is glued to the side of the guitar is different
4 - it has less depth body wise

Electric hollow body tend to have a more rigid top with less vibration going on than a normal acoustic. Whereas an acoustic's entire intention is to make the top vibrate, move as much as possible, while remaining in that perfect balance between thin enough to move with every note yet strong enough in structure not to let the strings pull it into pieces. Electric hollow body plays less empathises on the vibration on the entire top of the guitar.

That said, they can be played acoustically, I would say if you are sitting in your living room in front of your friends, it is loud enough to sing to it. At least that's how loud my T5 is. It also depends on the guitar, for example the PRS HBII is a much smaller body guitar and carved differently, it is not as loud acoustically as my T5.

Soldato
That's interesting, as being loud enough to play like that is all I'd need it for, just as long as it's loud enough to be clearly picked up by a microphone.

Having checked out videos of the Carvin AC375, that's quite loud give that it's quite thin and is pretty much a hollowed out solid piece of wood.

The main issue I have is that I want to make it headless, and finding information on headless acoustics isn't easy! I've read something say they don't work, but what I read didn't go in to detail as to why it didn't work, so I'm thinking if what they've said is true, it might be based on a specific implementation of a headless design.

Fortunately, I don't do singing either anyway. :D I just need it thin enough to be comfortable, as I find acoustics awkward to play due to their thickness, something in between an electric and an acoustic in terms of physical size would be perfect.

My Agile guitar (the neck through one with mahogany wings) is actually really quite loud unplugged, considering it's a completely solid guitar, it just sounds thin on the lower strings due to the lack of reverberation from a chamber/sound hole.

Back
Top Bottom