***The Official Guitar Thread***

Soldato
That is quite a specific guitar, any reason why?

We all have our musical idols. Nothing more than that but the sound you get from them is unbelievably good. Same with the Ibanez. They are the perfect match for my style of playing.

I've never played a hollow body electric, how loud are they unplugged?

Good enough for practice but not enough for a performance even say busking.

Soldato
Perhaps over the weekend I'll line up my kit for a small floorshow and get a couple of pictures up...

Out of interest, what's everyone into learning/playing? I started off with oldschool metal and rock as a bass player (steve harris is still something of a hero of mine), then I gradually got into funk, which lead to jazz-fusion and finally steely dan. Well maybe not exactly like that, but there was definitely a trend.

Sadly I seldom, if ever, play my bass guitars. These days it's all about the solo acoustic experience.

Soldato
Noooooooooooooo - horrible.
Back in the 80s I had both a Steinberg guitar and a Steinberg copy bass and I virtually gave them away.

Haha, headless systems have moved on a lot since the 80s.

I don't like the Steinberger ones though, I've always thought they looked off, they have always reminded me of sweeping brushes.

I'm thinking along the Strandberg or Rick Toone sort of style.

Did I mention fanned frets as well? :p
We all have our musical idols. Nothing more than that but the sound you get from them is unbelievably good. Same with the Ibanez. They are the perfect match for my style of playing.

Good enough for practice but not enough for a performance even say busking.

I reckon a large chamber with a sound hole will be pretty loud for playing in smallish rooms or recording with a microphone then in that case!

Basically loud enough for hammer-ons/taps and pull offs to be clearly audible, and the bass strings to be a bit more full.

Soldato
I couldn't look at them and love them :eek:

Really?

IMG_5629.jpg

They look great :D. The 6 stringers look a bit odd though, they kinda look unbalanced to me.

Soldato
Out of interest, what's everyone into learning/playing? I started off with oldschool metal and rock as a bass player (steve harris is still something of a hero of mine), then I gradually got into funk, which lead to jazz-fusion and finally steely dan. Well maybe not exactly like that, but there was definitely a trend.

I started off listening to Muddy Waters, Robert Cray, Hendrix, Santana and Page. So that was where I cut my teeth. Then I got into jazz so listened to the jazz greats maybe more than the guitarists. These days I am classical with gypsy and folk influences - think more John Williams and Strunz and Farah. I still have the odd tendency to shred now and then though.

I guess what I've liked and would have desired to do has changed. When I started I wanted to be the lead virtuoso these days my dream would have been to playing backing to someone like Ellington or Mingus.

I find a real beauty in the sound of nylon strings these days. Maybe it's the hot weather making me go all flamenco with that Balearic vibe.

I listen to wide variety of music though: classic rock, classic jazz, modern jazz, classical, trance, indie, folk, world, the lot basically - whereever there is feeling in the music I am there.

I reckon a large chamber with a sound hole will be pretty loud for playing in smallish rooms or recording with a microphone then in that case!

Basically loud enough for hammer-ons/taps and pull offs to be clearly audible, and the bass strings to be a bit more full.

Yep that is about where it's at.

Ibanez Jem

Living the Steve Vai dream there Dimple!

Last edited:
Soldato
Lol there are some idiots around I'd just ignore them. I've got a strat doesn't mean I can play like Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan does it. No-one can. Appreciate the player not the guitar - hell I saw Jeff Healey once and he was still using a squire - he couldn't half play it though.

Soldato
Anyone know how much you can sell a good condition Schecter C1 Blackjack for?

It's from 2006 now.

I am in the process of finally getting an american telecaster. I've put it off for years now but I have always wanted it :)

I have a mexican telecaster at the min, probably sell it, it's great no doubt about it but it's that whole made in USA thing when it comes to Fender... has to be done.

Associate
Of course! The Ibanez is 27" and the other is 29". The bass is a short scale at 30".

\,,/

I'm currently trying to find a 6 string that can handle G# on the 6th string (for Architects). all though, it's probably not a great reason to buy a guitar, just to learn one specific bands songs...

What/who influenced you to go deep into djent territory?

Soldato
\,,/

I'm currently trying to find a 6 string that can handle G# on the 6th string (for Architects). all though, it's probably not a great reason to buy a guitar, just to learn one specific bands songs...

What/who influenced you to go deep into djent territory?

I actually do like some djent stuff, however it wasn't actually the main influence as to why I got me some 8 strings. For a while I've kind of struggled with smaller guitars as I've got somewhat large hands and thick fingers. So the longer fretboard and wider string spacings have been very appealing to me.

The main influence was generally the wider range of notes available, and the sound of some chords on an 8 sounded richer, plus I can have the convenice of lower tunings without having to drastically downtune any strings.

I have my 8s set to drop E at the moment, and they stay like that for the most part.

I've been learning Animals as Leaders stuff recently, the stuff from the latest album is quite an unusual mix of styles.

I have quite an eclectic taste in music so I've went for guitars that are good for an alround general purpose, that's why I got the 29" one with a tremolo bridge, as there's some Steve Vai stuff I've been meaning to learn.

The predominant theme for me though is instrumental, that's by far my favourite component.

I've got a mix of Ernie Ball 2624s and La-Bella Crazy 8s on at the moment, and they are:

EB 2624s are

9-11-16-24-34-46-64-80

La-Bella Crazy 8s

9-12-15-22-30-40-54-74

On my guitars they're the higher 5 La-Bella strings, and then the 46-64-80 from the EB set.

That's literally just because I haven't bothered changing the rest yet. The main issue I had was the F# (or dropped to E) was too loose for my liking and felt really "flubby", so I swapped it for the .80, and then there was too big of a step between the low B and F# so I put on the EB 64 and then 46.

I was originally just looking for individual .80 strings, but stupidly a single D'Addario .80 is only marginally less money than buying a whole set of EB 2624s, so I just got a few packs of those.

The only issue I'm really having now is making it actually sound good, because they sound rubbish without a propper EQ, but I don't really know where to go to EQ them properly.

Without an EQ the lowest string sounds way too muddy. It's something I never really had to do much of previously as I'd only really played with 6 strings.

The set you've linked actually looks pretty good, I might have to give them a try and use the .80s I've got from the 2624 sets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom