***The Official Guitar Thread***

Caporegime
That's the trouble, it can become a bit of a punt. Most of the bargains seem to crop up away far from home. I know many say you shouldn't just buy a guitar blind without playing, thankfully, it's turned out ok for me the last couple of times.

It's just GAS, I already have a great guitar, need to control my emotions!

I don't have a problem buying guitars on the internet, I've bought 6 that way. These days guitars are a lot more consistent, it's not the 70's or 80's anymore. CNC machines means fewer duds.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slight derailment from the impressive guitars above...

I've been meaning to get a new acoustic for ages - haven't owned one in a long time as I sold the last one years ago and have just always ended up getting more electrics or other gear but finally going to remedy it and get one... Have tried out a bunch in the store pre-COVID and though I initially liked the look of the Faith Venus I then tried out a Taylor 114CE which was around the same price and it just blew it away for both sound and playability... So I am pretty set on going for a Taylor

I can stretch slightly above what the 114CE costs so was thinking of getting a 214CE. Problem is now that I look there are about 12 different 214CE models and I'm really unsure what one to go for. Normally I'd just try them all out in store but I'm itching to get it so going to risk ordering online, but that means I have to just pick one. Leaning towards the "214CE Plus" at the moment partly due to looks and it comes with a great gig bag hybrid (the aerocase) but does anybody happen to have any experience with these have any wisdom to share?

Caporegime
Slight derailment from the impressive guitars above...

I've been meaning to get a new acoustic for ages - haven't owned one in a long time as I sold the last one years ago and have just always ended up getting more electrics or other gear but finally going to remedy it and get one... Have tried out a bunch in the store pre-COVID and though I initially liked the look of the Faith Venus I then tried out a Taylor 114CE which was around the same price and it just blew it away for both sound and playability... So I am pretty set on going for a Taylor

I can stretch slightly above what the 114CE costs so was thinking of getting a 214CE. Problem is now that I look there are about 12 different 214CE models and I'm really unsure what one to go for. Normally I'd just try them all out in store but I'm itching to get it so going to risk ordering online, but that means I have to just pick one. Leaning towards the "214CE Plus" at the moment partly due to looks and it comes with a great gig bag hybrid (the aerocase) but does anybody happen to have any experience with these have any wisdom to share?

Are you looking at a new price?

I would look for a used Taylor, you can save a lot of money.

Soldato
It's just GAS, I already have a great guitar, need to control my emotions!

I don't have a problem buying guitars on the internet, I've bought 6 that way. These days guitars are a lot more consistent, it's not the 70's or 80's anymore. CNC machines means fewer duds.

GAS is a nightmare, I think it's the worst in this area. You do have a great guitar, many of them!

Soldato
Are you looking at a new price?

I would look for a used Taylor, you can save a lot of money.

Normally that would be something I'd consider, but I haven't seen the model I'm leaning towards (214ce plus) come up second hand at all (it's a new 2020 model I think) and with COVID going on if I'm having to buy something online I'd rather get it from a store where I have a better chance of recourse if it gets damaged in transit etc.

Soldato
Been using Fender Play for a few weeks now, it has a test type thing at the end but i couldn't get through the test quicker enough/accurate enough so decided to stay where i was in level terms. Had a quick look at knocking on heavens door, always loved the song. Its quite good for learning as its only using 4 chords, never knew you could have a g chord with the pink on the e string and ring finger on the B string, Marty Swartz uses it when going to the d chord as the finger remains in the same place. Also has an a minor so a new chord for me. I've enjoyed the song as it allowed me to play with strumming patterns and ive seen there is slightly more complicated ways of playing it so somethign to learn more. Makes it a bit more interesting than playing just chords for practise and now i have someting to sing with and recognisable. Shamefully i played it for the mrs and she didnt recognise it, played her it on youtbue and she had never heard of bob dylans version. Think my favourite version of it is by Antony & the Johnsons version of it.
Shall try the test on Fender play later and see if i can keep up, if not i'll try learning a few other basic songs and keep practising.
Once the lockdown is over and i can get an 20watt amp back off my brother i am thinking of getting a BOSS AC-3 pedal, anyone used one?
Lastly noticed Fender do a really nice looking guitar : https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/elect...ted-edition-hm-strat/0251700310.html?rl=en_US
Might have a play with one in a few months time when i have the money spare.

Caporegime
GAS is a nightmare, I think it's the worst in this area. You do have a great guitar, many of them!

It's mostly because guitars is VERY subjective. With tech like cameras you can break it down and break it down, everything has a number and everything has a chart. But with guitars there is no chart or a better number, everything is a preference, everything is subjective. Plus there is this weird yearning that older = better so any advancement made in Guitars is looked upon with disgust.

It's a very strange world.

Soldato
It's mostly because guitars is VERY subjective. With tech like cameras you can break it down and break it down, everything has a number and everything has a chart. But with guitars there is no chart or a better number, everything is a preference, everything is subjective. Plus there is this weird yearning that older = better so any advancement made in Guitars is looked upon with disgust.

It's a very strange world.

The chasing of the magic seems to be never ending with the world of guitars. Yep, there is no quantifying any of it.

On the older being better subject.. got to love the whole Gibson robot tuners and DIP switch phase of the LP. :D

Caporegime
The chasing of the magic seems to be never ending with the world of guitars. Yep, there is no quantifying any of it.

On the older being better subject.. got to love the whole Gibson robot tuners and DIP switch phase of the LP. :D

The first guitar I intended to get from all those years ago was actually an acoustic, to be precise, a Taylor Acoustic but some reason I ended up with a Taylor T5 as my first guitar and a GS Mini as my 3rd…after that I bought all electric guitars and made a rule I must stopped buying until I can play well.

So when I can play my guitars well, I will treat myself to a nice Taylor Acoustic, probably a 314, or I see plenty of 714 for sale used at new 314 prices.

The dream is a Koa with tree of life inlay.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you mean by "play well"? Very subjective isn't it? I mean I agree with what you're saying - one can get caught up buying gear and chasing a better sound while neglecting actually learning to play, all of us are guilty of that sometimes

Caporegime
What do you mean by "play well"? Very subjective isn't it? I mean I agree with what you're saying - one can get caught up buying gear and chasing a better sound while neglecting actually learning to play, all of us are guilty of that sometimes

I can play competently, like if a friend asked me to jam, I am able to keep up and improvise on the spot.

Soldato
I found that I had electric guitars for years (5-7) and never really got much better, didn't feel like practising as much as I should.
Then ended up getting an acoustic as my 4th (and cheapest) guitar.
Played it more than any other, now sold all the others and only play acoustic, feeling much more comfortable and enthusiastic to practice.

so you having all these electric and going to 'treat' yourself to the acoustic I think is doing yourself a disservice

Caporegime
I found that I had electric guitars for years (5-7) and never really got much better, didn't feel like practising as much as I should.
Then ended up getting an acoustic as my 4th (and cheapest) guitar.
Played it more than any other, now sold all the others and only play acoustic, feeling much more comfortable and enthusiastic to practice.

so you having all these electric and going to 'treat' yourself to the acoustic I think is doing yourself a disservice

I already have a GS Mini :)

Man of Honour
OP
So I just picked up my acoustic - I haven’t played any guitars for about... a year. Shameful.

Oh my god. Back to square one or what! :D

My hand feels like going to fall off. What a slob I’ve been.

Soldato
I can play competently, like if a friend asked me to jam, I am able to keep up and improvise on the spot.
I found an easy way to convince myself not to spend money on better guitars I give mine to my teacher and they sound loads better than when I play so They clearly have loads more to give if I just get a bit better at actually playing! Saves me being precious about them as well and everyone who plays my main guitar is amazed how playable it is so I can’t blame that either!

Soldato
I found an easy way to convince myself not to spend money on better guitars I give mine to my teacher and they sound loads better than when I play so They clearly have loads more to give if I just get a bit better at actually playing! Saves me being precious about them as well and everyone who plays my main guitar is amazed how playable it is so I can’t blame that either!

Well really anything above an absolutely terrible guitar (e.g. the kind of extremely low end strat copies you get in those "packs" that come with a 5W amp) is completely fine and a great player will be able to get to sound very good... Far too much of the sound is purely in the fingers and the player, so sure an expensive guitar with better components and electrics may sound a bit better with everything else being equal, but it won't suddenly make someone who doesn't play cleanly and with good dynamics etc. suddenly leap ahead

Soldato
Well really anything above an absolutely terrible guitar (e.g. the kind of extremely low end strat copies you get in those "packs" that come with a 5W amp) is completely fine and a great player will be able to get to sound very good... Far too much of the sound is purely in the fingers and the player, so sure an expensive guitar with better components and electrics may sound a bit better with everything else being equal, but it won't suddenly make someone who doesn't play cleanly and with good dynamics etc. suddenly leap ahead
Totally agree with this and so much of the sound of an electric guitar comes from the amp/pedals rather than the guitar that I’d much rather have a reasonable priced payable guitar and a great sounding amp!

I’m sure one day I’ll treat myself to a nice acoustic maybe even the Gibson L-00 that i lust after but it won’t make me a better player!

Back
Top Bottom