***The Official Guitar Thread***

Caporegime
Glad you got it safe and sound Raymond, very speedy delivery. That's naughty posting it without protection around the case IMO. But the guitar got to you safe and sound and that is what matters. Looks great!

Can't go wrong with a strat that's olympic white, mint green pickguard and rosewood fretboard!

It would have been a real bummer had it been damaged, not sure I will get a 7lb strat with custom shop pick ups for the same price as other stock spec strat. Got really lucky with this, in more ways than one.

Man of Honour
Using an encore guitar tdhat I got 2nd hand dance years back. Strings were fitted not to long back.
Method for checking I have strummed open then fretted 12th

I've seen this on tuners over the past 50 years showing another note further up the neck (it's the electronics messing about).
As long as the note shows in tune, then playing an open E then fretted 12th E (even though it shows A) will be in tune when the LED is in the middle.
There is no way on Earth you could ever get any guitar to be an open E and then an A on the 12th fret unless the screws in the bridge can travel about 6 inches (exaggerated estimate).

Soldato
I've seen this on tuners over the past 50 years showing another note further up the neck (it's the electronics messing about).
As long as the note shows in tune, then playing an open E then fretted 12th E (even though it shows A) will be in tune when the LED is in the middle.
There is no way on Earth you could ever get any guitar to be an open E and then an A on the 12th fret unless the screws in the bridge can travel about 6 inches (exaggerated estimate).
Brill thanks, i got so naffed off with the guitar yesterday that i was going to chuck it back in the loft and buy a new cheapish one setup by the shop.

Associate
Carrying on the white Strat wave here...

C7uL4lh.jpg

I've just picked this up from my parents loft. It was my uncle's who had given this to me as my first electric and has probably been stored for a good 8 years or so.

CUXXPg1.png

The serial number from the headstock states this as an 87 or 88 Fuji-gen, Japan but also states 1980 Fullerton USA with gold hardware below it which doesn't match the guitar. Could this neck and body be different? Or just modified?

The body might have been painted white as the finish is poor and the pickguard has seen better days. The headstock is complete with cigarette burn. You don't see that on modern relics!

iH3Z4Fl.jpg

4mHbQqB.jpg

zTZsKea.jpg

LchplfA.jpg

l1gkByy.jpg

The plan is to clean it up and get it back to working order as the electrics are gubbed. Will try and restore most of the parts like the bridge, pickups, controls, switch etc but will replace the pickguard. Any suggestions or ideas wlecome!

Soldato
The bridge isn't a USA or Mexican Fender. Bridge block is a slimmed shape and saddles aren't pressed steel.

Heel adjustment on the truss rod could be either I think. But the finish doesn't look like bad-old-days (late 70s) Fender. So I'd suspect it could be a Japanese neck if the serial number is original. Where is it placed? Edit: just seen, I think all Fender Japan put serial numbers behind the heel but I could be wrong.

I'd also compare the Fender logo on the head to USA guitars of that era, it looks a bit new to me but could be wrong about that too.

Soldato
@UnLuckyBenski what do you consider the ideal action height on the 12th fret?
So there are a few variables at play. The way I was trained to measure action is with the string held down at the first fret, to rule out the nut height.

Top E - .042" - .049" which is 1-1.25mm

Low E - .049" - .062" which is 1.25-1.5mm.

Those are for an electric with a fairly straight neck - obviously guidelines are higher for acoustic guitars.

I like to use Allen keys to measure under the string as they're always handy at a workbench :)

Caporegime
So there are a few variables at play. The way I was trained to measure action is with the string held down at the first fret, to rule out the nut height.

Top E - .042" - .049" which is 1-1.25mm

Low E - .049" - .062" which is 1.25-1.5mm.

Those are for an electric with a fairly straight neck - obviously guidelines are higher for acoustic guitars.

I like to use Allen keys to measure under the string as they're always handy at a workbench :)

Just did that, Capo at first fret.

low E is 1.5mm

high E is 1mm.

there is a relief on the neck, I guess that’s normal, I feel like I can get it lower though only because the telecaster is lower.

Soldato
Just did that, Capo at first fret.

low E is 1.5mm

high E is 1mm.

there is a relief on the neck, I guess that’s normal, I feel like I can get it lower though only because the telecaster is lower.
Every guitar's a bit different, in terms of measurements and the feel. If you find it buzzes around frets 1-5, the neck is too straight. If it buzzes around the middle of the neck like frets 7-12, usually too much relief. If both those are ok, try lowering the action.

An especially tight fretboard radius can cause choking on bends too.

One thing I learned over time, as a bass player I hit the strings way too hard. Most string buzz came from playing too hard!

Caporegime
Every guitar's a bit different, in terms of measurements and the feel. If you find it buzzes around frets 1-5, the neck is too straight. If it buzzes around the middle of the neck like frets 7-12, usually too much relief. If both those are ok, try lowering the action.

An especially tight fretboard radius can cause choking on bends too.

One thing I learned over time, as a bass player I hit the strings way too hard. Most string buzz came from playing too hard!

it buzzes around the 22nd when I play above the 12th fret lol I think I’m being anal.

Associate
Correction, 2 PRS from the states...the 3rd was the red a Palir Titan tele in the previous page which was also from the States.

Well, I got them because 1 is quite rare, I wasn't planning to, I was planning to get a PRS SE Zach Myer but was looking online when i saw this. (Actual dealer website photos) I did a quite research on it and it basically was what I wanted the Zach Myer to be (I didn't actually wanted a semi-hollow but I wanted the shape of a single cut). I thoughtt he finish on top is unique. PRS is known for their flame but this is what is called a Multi Foil. Every now and again someone on forums (TGP or Fretboard) would ask me to let them know if I decide to sell it (actually the 305 below too)

55lbTAG.png

9byYHuR.jpg

3WZJJ8I.jpg

It is much nicer in person.

Im5KpHf.jpg

669OzCk.jpg

The other one was a PRS 305, I got it partly because it was a good deal, I think I paid £1k or just over. I think i was looking for a Strat and thought "this will do!" It's not a limited run or anything but it's a good price for a core PRS. Well, they stopped making them now so it has become limited lol

kCmwA75.jpg

QE03Rel.jpg

@Nitefly had this guitar on loan for about a year, he can probably tell you more about it than i can :)

Nice to see some PRS love in here. Don't think I've ever seen one quite like the blue one before - very cool.

I've had an S2 semi hollow for a few years now that I really dig but just picked up my first 'real' PRS about 6 months ago - a second hand Hollowbody II. I'd been eyeing it up on GuitarGuitar for about a year a while back when it was new and never pulled the the trigger. One of those really sad GAS stories where you keep going back and looking at it, then one day I went to the page and someone had bought it. At which point I immediately realised that I did in fact really want it. Doh.

Fast forward about a year and guess what pops up again on GuitarGuitar but this time second hand with about half the original price knocked off? Exact same serial number and everything. So this time I didn't hesitate - it was obviously meant to be, right?

I can't take good pictures so here's a couple of vids of it in action:

I find it perfect for this kind of music. Gives me the sound I'm after without the bulk and weight of a full size hollowbody. And it's really versatile too. The piezo I've found much more useful than i thought i would (you can hear it in the blended sound in the first video). Also, it helps that it's v pretty. :cool:

Caporegime
Nice to see some PRS love in here. Don't think I've ever seen one quite like the blue one before - very cool.

I've had an S2 semi hollow for a few years now that I really dig but just picked up my first 'real' PRS about 6 months ago - a second hand Hollowbody II. I'd been eyeing it up on GuitarGuitar for about a year a while back when it was new and never pulled the the trigger. One of those really sad GAS stories where you keep going back and looking at it, then one day I went to the page and someone had bought it. At which point I immediately realised that I did in fact really want it. Doh.

Fast forward about a year and guess what pops up again on GuitarGuitar but this time second hand with about half the original price knocked off? Exact same serial number and everything. So this time I didn't hesitate - it was obviously meant to be, right?

I can't take good pictures so here's a couple of vids of it in action:

I find it perfect for this kind of music. Gives me the sound I'm after without the bulk and weight of a full size hollowbody. And it's really versatile too. The piezo I've found much more useful than i thought i would (you can hear it in the blended sound in the first video). Also, it helps that it's v pretty. :cool:

lovely playing and the guitar really suits your playing or vice versa. I guess it’s meant to be that you got it in the end, half price too! Again, lovey music :)

Re the blue PRS

Yeah, I’ve not seen another one like the blue PRS around anywhere, if You google PRS multi foil you will find a few custom 24 shape videos made back in 2011. Originally PRS made a handful back in the 80’s and they made about 50 in 2011 for The PRS experience and this was one of them. Some are in green or red, most are custom 22/24/studio. I’ve not seen another single cut (it’s a SC58 spec so mahogany back, maple top, solid body, 57/08).

this is my other PRS.

d5zUJZl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Are there any John Mayer fans here?

I have listened to a few tracks of his and none of it is doing it for me, at all. What I have listened to is so mellow and mild. Andertons often wet their pants for him and as a John Mayer newbie, I'm thinking I'm not listening to the right tracks?

Back
Top Bottom