***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Soldato
If they are still for sale separately I can recommend the Samson Q-Kick.
One of my local shops let me borrow one and the following day I went in with the £45 I was that impressed.
I was then able to compare it to a D112 and couldn't hear much difference.
I've had a look but discontinued everywhere.
GAK have none, reverb sold one for £30 but that was 2015. Any other cheap £40 to £50 mics you'd recommend for kick? I know there's a few around but not sure which one is worthwhile.

Interesting setup. :p The snare sounds really nice.

I'm looking to do something similar for fun (I have the advantage of having a DAW), I've only got 2 inputs.

I was thinking of placing the Slate VMS above the kick shell maybe pointing towards the snare and using my sm7 on the kick (sm57 is the only other mic I have).

Thanks. :) I've added hi-hat and just one tom today. The sound is a bit brighter now. I swapped out the Unidyne 3 on the bass drum for my PZM ( yay, I got to use phantom power :p) which I've put inside pretty close to the batter. I've also slackened off the batter head to one tension above loose to give a bit more attack. I added more mid and high EQ. Sounds good on this first video. But still getting lost on the second video. Maybe the backing track in the second video should be a bit quieter. See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4K6bDiax7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLIv6axr28

Associate
Any other cheap £40 to £50 mics you'd recommend for kick?

A little more than what you want to pay but SE Electronics X1D is surpisingly good for about £70. It's a condenser so it'll need phantom power. Is EOL I think so they won't be around for long. They launched at a much higher price but I guess just didn't catch on. I think they're really good, and can be used on other sources too (bass amp, piano, vocals)

Free dual pop shield as well if you buy from PMT.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had a look but discontinued everywhere.
GAK have none, reverb sold one for £30 but that was 2015. Any other cheap £40 to £50 mics you'd recommend for kick? I know there's a few around but not sure which one is worthwhile.

I have no experience of other bass drum mics except for the Q-Kick, D112 and Shure equivalent.
If you can afford the Q-5Kit can be bought for around £120 and features bass, snare & 3 toms and are very good, I've had two bands where both drummers bought the set and we had a great drum sound.
One of them bought another Q-Tom because he had two floor toms.

Otherwise check out You Tube for Banja's recommendation.

Soldato
I have no experience of other bass drum mics except for the Q-Kick, D112 and Shure equivalent.
If you can afford the Q-5Kit can be bought for around £120 and features bass, snare & 3 toms and are very good, I've had two bands where both drummers bought the set and we had a great drum sound.
One of them bought another Q-Tom because he had two floor toms.

Otherwise check out You Tube for Banja's recommendation.
Yes, I'm seriously thinking of getting that Q5 kit.
But I'm also considering either of these 2 kick mics, one of which looks to be based on the D112 and for only £29. Apparently pretty good according to the reviews.

https://www.studiospares.com/Microp...hyUC_-ZOpDhxoC0gkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#rtabs3

https://www.studiospares.com/Microp...ospares-SD107-Bass-Drum-Mic_449600.htm#rtabs2

Also, my toms and ride cymbal aren't getting picked up well enough, they're really distant. I'm going to buy an XLR to 1/4" jack cable from Maplins so I can use another of my mics as an overhead and pick up more of the right side of my kit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well guys, I've decided I'm going to buy a new 8 XLR mixer, probably the Behringer X2222, the Qkick mic set (but probably still use my SM57 for snare) and a pair of cheap overhead condensers, probably the Behringer C2 as they seem pretty decent and only £55 a pair.

Meanwhile, this is the best I can do with what I have so enjoy (or not) a complete song until I get those things. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEGEFd14j4w

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well guys, I've decided I'm going to buy a new 8 XLR mixer, probably the Behringer X2222, the Qkick mic set (but probably still use my SM57 for snare) and a pair of cheap overhead condensers, probably the Behringer C2 as they seem pretty decent and only £55 a pair.

Meanwhile, this is the best I can do with what I have so enjoy (or not) a complete song until I get those things. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj7QMfePOmw

Why not just get an 8 input audio interface ?

Soldato
Why not just get an 8 input audio interface ?

Hmm yes, good point! As I'll be doing it with a computer I won't need a mixer. That said, the Behringer X2222 has USB connectivity, so is there any particular benefit of an audio interface v a USB mixer? Which one do you recommend that isn't too pricey? I'm currently trying to sell my 2 input Zoom UAC interface on gumtree but no bites yet.

Caporegime
OP
Hmm yes, good point! As I'll be doing it with a computer I won't need a mixer. That said, the Behringer X2222 has USB connectivity, so is there any particular benefit of an audio interface v a USB mixer? Which one do you recommend that isn't too pricey? I'm currently trying to sell my 2 input Zoom UAC interface on gumtree but no bites yet.

You won't get 8 indivual tracks recorded with the Behringer...only a stereo one...

Which is poo.

Spend the money on an 8 track interface that allows you to record 8 individual tracks into your daw (mixbus) ;):p:D

This will give you loads of eq and effects options plus you can send the 8 tracks to a drum bus for mixing or applying a smooth tape drive effect of the Classic Harrison consoles :)

Soldato
You won't get 8 indivual tracks recorded with the Behringer...only a stereo one...

Which is poo.

Spend the money on an 8 track interface that allows you to record 8 individual tracks into your daw (mixbus) ;):p:D

This will give you loads of eq and effects options plus you can send the 8 tracks to a drum bus fir mixing :)

I will do exactly as you recommend and get an interface.
But regarding what you said about the Behringer, does the USB not route each XLR connection into a DAW the same as a dedicated interface?

Soldato
Caporegime
OP
That looks great and I know Presonus are respected. It's a little expensive though and was wondering if this would do a decent job? I know Behringer have a bit of bad rep though.
http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...IsP02UHsu5eb_8Rw40GbGkPCpMZ9G8vRoCBloQAvD_BwE

That's not an audio interface it's an adat mic preamp.:p

The personas is near enough x2222 money but blows it away by a million :p

Buy cheap buy twice...

That presonus us is a steal and a top quality unit.

Soldato
Once you have that as your HUB...All faffing can dissipate and workflow and fun increases :)

Having a drum kit permanently mic-ed up is a revelation :)

You're spot on about the Presonus. Having done my usual googling about interfaces with names like Tascam and Steinberg, Presonus gets top marks, Tascam is apparently not that great, and Steinberg is meant to be excellent but it's much more expensive. So the Presonus wins! :) Well, I only own one acoustic drumkit so I couldn't leave it up permanently due to gigs, but I'll get a second kit at some point.

Caporegime
OP
You're spot on about the Presonus. Having done my usual googling about interfaces with names like Tascam and Steinberg, Presonus gets top marks, Tascam is apparently not that great, and Steinberg is meant to be excellent but it's much more expensive. So the Presonus wins! :) Well, I only own one acoustic drumkit so I couldn't leave it up permanently due to gigs, but I'll get a second kit at some point.

Solid drivers, Great DAW support and excellent Sound quality. :)

Back
Top Bottom