***The Official Home Recording Studio Thread***

Soldato
I've downloaded Cubase 10 Elements trial version and am about to start playing around with it. I haven't made any music on a computer since I studied music at school and I have completely forgotten everything :). I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. I have a cheap £40 USB keyboard which I might upgrade if I feel like I am getting anywhere. If anyone has any tips for a beginner let me know.

Soldato
I've downloaded Cubase 10 Elements trial version and am about to start playing around with it. I haven't made any music on a computer since I studied music at school and I have completely forgotten everything :). I'll have a play around and see what I can come up with. I have a cheap £40 USB keyboard which I might upgrade if I feel like I am getting anywhere. If anyone has any tips for a beginner let me know.

I'm watching a lot of youtube videos, particularly inthemix, although he does his tutorials on FL studio, his videos are very good and easy to understand. I'm sure there will be many cubase tutorials on YT too though.

Caporegime
OP
I haven't bought a plugin in ages. I have too many, I'm always tempted though. :p

I have the waves and slate SSLs otherwise I'd probably jump at the PA ones.

The PA version is far better IMO. Plus it has TMT so every instance can be ddifferent just like real console.
  • 72 different (!) TMT Channels in one plugin, just like a real console

Soldato
The PA version is far better IMO. Plus it has TMT so every instance can be ddifferent just like real console.
  • 72 different (!) TMT Channels in one plugin, just like a real console

It may well be but I can get decent enough mixes with slates SSL for me it wouldn't be worth the extra cost. I don't like the Waves one at all funnily enough.

Soldato
PA-MEGA-20-OFF for $20 extra off on the PA sale, glad I waited before pulling the trigger but sucks for anyone who bought on day 1 of the sale :(

Regroover essential is also free at Plugin Boutique on any order, seems like a decent tool as well

Caporegime
OP
PA-MEGA-20-OFF for $20 extra off on the PA sale, glad I waited before pulling the trigger but sucks for anyone who bought on day 1 of the sale :(

Regroover essential is also free at Plugin Boutique on any order, seems like a decent tool as well

I bagged the HG-2 for $49 with it late last night when the email hit. :D

Soldato
I’m wanting to record a couple of songs i’ve written it’s not something i’ve ever thought about before but it looks like I need to spend some money :(

Anyone got any recommendations for a cheap USB interface and microphone (guitar and vocal) I already have a pc and figured i’d use pro tools first for now.

Any forums out there with decent second hand sections? Or any other tips i’m Looking to keep the spend small!

Associate
£150 if it’s achievable!

Personally I'd be looking at a bundle like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-...usrite+bundle&qid=1558523925&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It'll give you all the hardware and software you'd need to get started. Sure, there are better and more appropriate mics for recording guitar or for voice, but that'll do a job for both for a beginner. The interface has minimal inputs, but will be fine to mutli track some guitar and vocals. And the software bundle comes with basic pro tools plus a few plugins.

If you don't fancy that one, the likes of Presonus or M-Audio etc do similar bundles.

Soldato
Personally I'd be looking at a bundle like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-...usrite+bundle&qid=1558523925&s=gateway&sr=8-2

It'll give you all the hardware and software you'd need to get started. Sure, there are better and more appropriate mics for recording guitar or for voice, but that'll do a job for both for a beginner. The interface has minimal inputs, but will be fine to mutli track some guitar and vocals. And the software bundle comes with basic pro tools plus a few plugins.

If you don't fancy that one, the likes of Presonus or M-Audio etc do similar bundles.
Thanks that’s the sort of thing i’ve been looking at just wanted to be sure it was a sensible place to start. Just need a mic stand and to resist the upgrade bug as long as possible!

Caporegime
OP
If you can up the budget £50 you could get a Mic Pre as used in Professional Audient Consoles. And a really decent mic

Audient ID4 -https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id4/overview/

Audio Technica AT2020 Professional Condenser Microphone

This would give you Pro results and you can use the Volume knob on the Audient as an encoder to control you music software Plugins and Faders etc...Very cool

Also comes with https://audient.com/arc/ and Cubase LE

If you need more scope in a DAW (digital audio workstation then what once was SONAR is now Free)

Cakewalk Bandlab

https://djmag.com/content/sonar-re-launches-free-daw-cakewalk-bandlab

Good times to be making music :D

Soldato
Thanks, I’ve never really thought about recording stuff so I can see this is going to be another learning curve!

Any forums with decent second hand markets for this stuff?

There's a classified section on the gearslutz forum but it's quite hard to find stuff in the UK.

Easyriders suggestion above is what I would go for, it'll last you for a good while but....if budget really is a concern you could get a super cheap behringer interface and an sm57. If you're completely new to it and want to experiment you could save some money for now but will want to upgrade in future.

There is a massive learning curve to all this and there is a lot of knowledge to consume but more than that it's really about training your ears and unfortunately that take years and only doing it can improve them. With that being said, it's a hell of a lot of fun and I would recommend it to anyone. :)

Caporegime
OP
Reverb.com is your best bet for second hand hardware

The thing with entry level gear is it’s low value anyway so you don’t really save much over new...

I bought my Audient ID22 new for £299 new... they sell fo £250 used

I doubt you can pick up an iD4 for £50 even used...its quality gear and holds its value well...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom