The Official "How Much I Earn/What Job I Do" Information Thread

Soldato
So I've been thinking...

Wouldn't it be great to have a place to view what people earn, what education they have, what age they are and what industry they work in?

To keep this thread uniform please use the following guide and follow the trend the example below sets out.

Using the above table for reference please list your circumstances by taking one option from each column, If you feel it relevant please include your geographical location as well. for example:

26-30, £15001-£20000 (OTE Variable up to 7% of Yearly total), Management, Level 3, Cardiff, 31-40 Hours

Education levels are stolen from Here

This has been prompted by me getting ticked off at never getting the jobs that I want, I want to know if I am stuck in a lower management position for the rest of my life earning a low level salary with little to no job satisfaction or if there is a light at the end of the tunnel for people at my age with my level of education.

Please feel free to post, if you don't wish to divulge this information then please don't post. The above example is of course a representation of my current circumstances.

Edit : My analysis up to Page 12:

Most Common age Group: 22-25
Most Common Salary Range: £30001-£40000

Average Education Level 4.8
Most Common Education Level, Level 6

This graph represents the stated earnings vs age and clearly shows that in the most part age does have a bearing on your earnings. You can see that the vast majority of high earners are in thr 30+ age range.

This graph is an interesting one. There appears to be on average no apparent correlation between education level and earnigs. It appears that many who are earning middle of the road salaries with good education levels are not pushing the boundries that those without the constraints of education can. This data could be mis-represented though as the capture group is not that large and doesnt really show a good split of ages. Also some of the higher education boffs are earning nothing as they are still studying as students. Still interesting though:

When/if this thread gets up to page 20 I wil update this information again. The current capture is of 83 people.

To save me having to copy the info into word and remove the line breaks could the single line format please be adhered to

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think there should be a penis length bit, too.

Should have expected this in GD...

Are you compiling the information for a project or something?

Nope, did you read my post?

Why do we need to know this?

So we know who to beg?

Nope, just thought it would be useful information for those currently seeking a job to know what other people are currently doing within their age bracket and education level.

Does he mean Management as in McDonald's.....

If you feel that the management level you are in warrants its own sector then you can add it, entirely up to you, just try and keep it simple.

Soldato
OP
Is that base salary, OTE (for sales) or base salary + bonus?

What I earn varies from year to year as the profits/bonus pool expands/contracts. Some years I will earn £100k+ others (especially since 2008) will be considerably less than that.

Good Point! I earn more some years than others. You can list your basic I guess and if you feel it significant list "potential" bonus earnings as well. I have ammended my first post to reflect my bonus as well.

Soldato
OP
Interesting that some of the higher earners have lower educational levels. Does that indicate something perhaps?

I am also curious as to how this trend seems to present itsself. Do you think those that take the education route find them selves stuck on a set career path, whereas those that do not have the contraints of education are free to push further in a field as they are not labeled with a specific level of education?

Or are the dunces too busy dribbling to get women and thus earn more money due to having more time on their hands? :p

Soldato
OP
22 year old, Craftsman (private) in the British army : 17k a year.

edit.

I'm level 3 education and if the picture on the first post suggests I work 21-30 hours a week it is VERY wrong :D

The row alignment is not designed to represent the typical trend for your specific age, all you need to do is select a specific cell from each column :)

I know working retail is a dead end for most, and I'm trying to get out, it's just annoying when you know so many people with careers who are going places or at least able to buy stuff without thinking too much about it lol, I just want out of retail working with plebs, serving plebs >.<

Heres Hoping, A good place to start is the Next Step site, you can fill in a long winded questionnaire and it will tell you roughly what sorts of jobs you should be able to get at your education level or with some job specific training.

You can then focus on finding jobs in this sector. I would quite like to work as a Customs Officer but unfortunately the books are closed for external applicants at the moment :(

I have also found that the job market in Cardiff is very saturated with job seekers. There is something like 8 applications for every job. I have applied for around 50 jobs all within the same sort of industry as me and have not had one phone call let alone an interview! I guess I should be thankfull to have a job and stop crying in the corner.

Soldato
OP
Ok so my analysis up to page 12 of this thread is as follows:

Most Common age Group: 22-25
Most Common Salary Range: £30001-£40000

Average Education Level 4.8
Most Common Education Level, Level 6

This graph represents the stated earnings vs age and clearly shows that in the most part age does have a bearing on your earnings. You can see that the vast majority of high earners are in thr 30+ age range.

This graph is an interesting one. There appears to be on average no apparent correlation between education level and earnigs. It appears that many who are earning middle of the road salaries with good education levels are not pushing the boundries that those without the constraints of education can. This data could be mis-represented though as the capture group is not that large and doesnt really show a good split of ages. Also some of the higher education boffs are earning nothing as they are still studying as students. Still interesting though:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Unless my eye sight is struggling to differentiate between the tones, it appears you've missed my level 2 off that graph at the top?

Aaah that would be because when scanning between the 83 or so posts that I copy and pasted into excel I was looking for numbers rather than words. I do apologise for this. I was starting to go a little mad towards the end :eek:

This has been ammended now to indicate this, if you can remind me of your age I wuill gladly ammend this as well.

On an interesting side note the average penis size of the members of this forum is 7.25", ladies come get some!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The job sector graph needs improved,not everyone does white coller jobs and having an education level is irrelevant to earning a good salary..:eek:

I didn't do a job sector graph because of the varied amount of industries, It would take forever. What improvements could you suggest? I am happy to improve the reporting if a better way can be suggested :)

/edit as we have proven the education level does not on the whole suggest a good or bad salary range so you are correct :)

Soldato
OP
Sorry to be a pain but just a quick request, to save me having to copy the info into word and remove the line breaks could the single line format please be adhered to? Took me twice as long to copy/paste the information from this thread when i compiled the analysis before :p

Back
Top Bottom