*** The Official HTC Desire (Bravo) Thread! ***

Soldato
Oxygen 2.0.2 has landed. Notice it's gone back to .35 kernel, wonder if that will improve battery life.

Yes, big improvement in battery life and general speed, especially now that there is a new version of Launcher Pro which officially supports Gingerbread.

My ROM was so messed up because I hadn't wiped since RC4... I had trackball wake and long press volume music skip which wasn't even in the code for 2.0.1. Then I flashed the latest kernel and my camera stopped working completely.

Soldato
I prefer ADW launcher or LP, but must admit i have not tried the new update as yet, but to be honest really happy with ADW and not looking to change.

Khaaan, maybe you can help on CM7 is there a way to lock the phone ring volume, i set it to a high level and then tend to turn the phone down when i take a call, but its all linked and therefore i turn the volume right down on the ringtone and forget and then miss calls.

Man of Honour
I don't think I fully follow but do you mean when a ring comes in you hit volume down to drop the ringer volume them forget later to bring it up?

Simply pressing volume down/up once during an incoming ring will mute the speaker without changing the ringer volume.

Alternatives are to enable the Quieten On Pickup feature in sound options that drops the ringer volume when you pick up the phone during an incoming ring but doesn't change the set master volume or enable Quiet Hours in CM Settings > Sound.

You can also detach ring volume from notification volume as they're linked by default. Android Sound Options for that.

Soldato
I don't think I fully follow but do you mean when a ring comes in you hit volume down to drop the ringer volume them forget later to bring it up?

Simply pressing volume down/up once during an incoming ring will mute the speaker without changing the ringer volume.

Alternatives are to enable the Quieten On Pickup feature in sound options that drops the ringer volume when you pick up the phone during an incoming ring but doesn't change the set master volume or enable Quiet Hours in CM Settings > Sound.

You can also detach ring volume from notification volume as they're linked by default. Android Sound Options for that.

sorry i might not have been clear, but if i use my volume rocker it effects my main ring tone volume, so call rings loudly which is what i want, i then use the rocker to turn down the person on the other end of the phone which will inturn bring down the call volume next time it rings. i kinda wanna lock the default ringing volume and the rocker have no effect?

Associate
sorry i might not have been clear, but if i use my volume rocker it effects my main ring tone volume, so call rings loudly which is what i want, i then use the rocker to turn down the person on the other end of the phone which will inturn bring down the call volume next time it rings. i kinda wanna lock the default ringing volume and the rocker have no effect?

I'm on CM7 and my phone doesn't behave this way, just tested it. Ringer on max volume, answer a call and turn down caller's voice volume. End call and ringer is still on max volume.

Associate
Anyone know why latest Oxygen's inbuilt email client would remove emails?

I have 196 emails in my POP BT Yahoo...i go back into the Inbox later in the day & most are missing. Click REFRESH & it will downlaod a group...i then click "Load more messages" & another group come through .... so im back to 196 emails after repeating this process many times. Then later in the day it will remove them again?

Didnt do this on my Sense ROM's & had way more options......

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know why latest Oxygen's inbuilt email client would remove emails?

I have 196 emails in my POP BT Yahoo...i go back into the Inbox later in the day & most are missing. Click REFRESH & it will downlaod a group...i then click "Load more messages" & another group come through .... so im back to 196 emails after repeating this process many times. Then later in the day it will remove them again?

Didnt do this on my Sense ROM's & had way more options......

Because Sense applications are all more feature rich than their stock Android counterparts, why anyone would flash a sub par AOSP ROM onto their Desire is beyond me.

It seems it's become more important to be "cool" by following the community projects rather than having a feature rich phone.

Google are being shown up by the likes of HTC's UI and are now being shown up by Amazon too on some of the services front.

Man of Honour
We all know you're a SenseUI fan of many sorts but there's no need to migrate AOSP users into the same camp as actual fanboys of brands just because it's cool.

A lot of people choose AOSP because they like the simplicity and minimalist approach of it and can then customise/build on it with exactly what they want instead of what comes with Sense with no option to remove stuff they won't be using.

Soldato
We all know you're a SenseUI fan of many sorts but there's no need to migrate AOSP users into the same camp as actual fanboys of brands just because it's cool.

A lot of people choose AOSP because they like the simplicity and minimalist approach of it and can then customise/build on it with exactly what they want instead of what comes with Sense with no option to remove stuff they won't be using.

It's nothing to do with being a fanboy, it's just common sense. The Desire is hardly slow, I personally would have sold mine if that were the case as I came from a buttery smooth iPhone and find the stock HTC firmware just as good.

So there's no need to go mimimalist, the HTC Sense experience is just better than anything that's come from the Open Source project. The email client is the perfect example of that, the only thing that comes close to HTC's email client is Touchdown which costs a lot of money and still doesn't work as well and is ugly as sin.

How the hell anyone could consider swyping from home screen more quickly by 0.01 second more important than a proper email client, is beyond me.

All the Desire Gingerbread builds are still missing features that have been in Froyo with Sense, i.e. camera features, 720p recording. If flashing half working software that's prone to boot looping (until Oxygen 2.02) is your thing over having a fully working mobile, then of course that's your choice.

This is the HTC Desire thread and that's my opinion and an opinion in reply to someone has experienced just how crap the stock Android email client is for themselves.

Man of Honour
The email client might be a perfect example of that but you're once again forgetting that not everyone uses the email client, likewise the same applies to other features of Sense that the same people don't miss.

if it was as huge and useful as you say then there would not be a gigantic movement in the AOSP front. just glancing at XDA devs and other Android forums shows this.

Handset being slow or not is irrelevant in this scenario.

Soldato
HTC Sense builds and all their nice widgets/apps seemed to make my battery life shocking. Without Sense, I've actually been able to use my Desire all day without the need of switching things off.

I actually thought no one would use it since it is so dire. Personally I just forward my e-mails to my main Gmail account and label the hell out of them. Makes for awesome e-mail (ing?) :p

Oh and I've just realised that it's been over 1 year with my Desire. Looking back prior to my Desire days, I don't see how I coped without it!

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Soldato
The email client might be a perfect example of that but you're once again forgetting that not everyone uses the email client, likewise the same applies to other features of Sense that the same people don't miss.

if it was as huge and useful as you say then there would not be a gigantic movement in the AOSP front. just glancing at XDA devs and other Android forums shows this.

Handset being slow or not is irrelevant in this scenario.

The modding community is always going to be there and active on open source software, especially when the whole foundation is built upon the Linux Kernel, the largest open source community to ever exist.

Is it large? Depends how you look at it. I'm willing to bet it's tiny in comparison to the user base who are actually using Android - not everyone is an enthusiast.

Then why would you run minimalist if it wasn't about speed? Do you not install applications on your phone? Surely if you do, that's against the whole minimalist argument?

Back
Top Bottom