*** The Official HTC Desire (Bravo) Thread! ***

Soldato
EDIT: Stoked - I have my Desire - much lighter feeling than the Nexus One.

Being dissappointed to find that the Desire has no Voice Search function I went away and found this:
http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/04/add-...to-htc-phones/

Also Turn by Turn Maps!
http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/04/add-...to-htc-desire/

There are some others as well:

http://nimbu.amorvi.com/

A few more apps worth noting, speech to text, nexus one launcher etc

Well we've all been looking out for a decent Android phone, some have found what they like in the Moto Milestone, some in the HTC Nexus 1, others like me are pretty happy with their HTC Hero.

I am coming to the end of my contract (as of Late March) and I have come across some Interwibble Scuttlebutt that states that the HTC Bravo is to be coming to T-Mobile UK in, as luck would have it, late March!
Source: http://androinica.com/2010/01/20/first-live-image-of-the-htc-bravo-optical-joystick-included/

So what do we know.
- Dimensions -56 x 112 x 11.7 millimetres
- 3.7in AMOLED 480 x 800 touchscreen with multitouch support
- Sense UI by HTC
- 5MP camera (with auto-focus and 720p HD video capture)
- WiFi a,b,g and n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR , a compass, GPS, FM radio and integration with Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and Microsoft Exchange.
- Snapdragon 1GHz Processor
- microSD, microSDHC, TransFlash, SDIO
- removable 1400mAh battery
- Internal RAM 320MB, ROM 512MB

htc_bravo-300x336.jpg

And of course the first actual shot
0511.jpg

My first impression of the actual hardware is that it's not a bad looking phone but it's still a long way from the design chic of Apple hardware. They seem to keep doing odd stuff with their buttons, but at least they are hard buttons and not the irritating soft buttons on the Nexus. I think I shall be sitting tight to see what this one comes out like.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Or what about this: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18106968

If it comes out over here in a reasonable time frame...

I prefer the supersonic look, actually looks stylish unlike the Bravo, which looks like it's been hit with an ugly stick...

Having said that the X10 is looking good too... And the HD2 is still beautiful, with a possible upgrade to WM7 (which may be sublime!)... Hmmmmmm

I personally like the look of the Supersonic far more than the Bravo - thing is with the bravo coming out at the same time as my contract ends... I know how rubbish I am when it comes to new gadgets...

Soldato
OP
Really want a hw keyboard but just totally put off by the milestone. I'd put up with a touch screen just for a HTC handset :D there's something about them that just looks good. The android OS on other handsets just doesn't look as nice lol. Stupid I know.

No- I'm inclined to agree - the HTC sense interface is much more polished, IMO in many ways better than the N1...

Soldato
OP
OK -weirdest thing.

I called up T-Mobile to upgrade my phone to the Desire and they tried to get me to go on a 24 month contract £20/month and still pay £230 for the phone. I even tried the 'I'll have my PAC please' and they went - 'fine... here you go'.

I jumped online and had a look at a few websites and found one that would do the phone for free, £25/month and 18 month contract and unlimited internet. Just bizarre...

No idea when the phone will arrive but there you go... pays to search around sometimes.

Soldato
OP
OK -weirdest thing.

I called up T-Mobile to upgrade my phone to the Desire and they tried to get me to go on a 24 month contract £20/month and still pay £230 for the phone. I even tried the 'I'll have my PAC please' and they went - 'fine... here you go'.

I jumped online and had a look at a few websites and found one that would do the phone for free, £25/month and 18 month contract and unlimited internet. Just bizarre...

No idea when the phone will arrive but there you go... pays to search around sometimes.

Stoked - delivery tomorrow! Still can't believe that T-mob are so reluctant to retain customers.

Soldato
OP
I can't get this phone any cheaper than £35 p/m on Vodafone retentions which sucks, think I will definately be cancelling my contract in May and going via Quidco or something.

What deals are everyone else getting?

This was on a 24 month contract as well, they wouldn't keep me on 18 months!

Ridiculous!

Yeah I got the same spiel from T-Mobile - they must be getting the squeeze from 3rd party re-sellers or something. Only going with the 24 month contracts.

Soldato
OP
Awesone stuff Steve...just followed the instructions on the links and have both voice search and google nav working on my Desire.

Gonna try the navigation out later when im out and about..see how good it is...i take it you still get the voices??

theoretically - I've not tried it myself but the map works fine. I'll have to give it a go. I don't actually have a car but when I do hire one I use my Garmin. I was more for everyone elses benifit.

EDIT: Updated the first page. That site also has the nice gallery app from the Nexus - it's much nicer than the HTC one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I will say that Navigon's nav app may be pretty basic compared to Sygic but the voice guidance is superb, crystal clear and the lane assist is nice too. It sort of hand holds you through the most complex junctions as I used it to drive home last night from Terminal 5 and it was more accurate than other NAV units I have used before.

I will use Sygic for routes around town I think and Navigon for routes that seem more complex.

What's the damage for the full version?

Soldato
OP
Ok finally got the voice to text option working lol...kinda neat and can see the uses of it ie sending a text whilst driving etc...but as Richie said above its more of a gimmick really.

Really liking this phone a lot now...although i dont know if its only my handset or others are affected by it but the trackpad on mine seems to be a bit wonky ie sits to the right a bit and in the dark theres a bit of light leakage coming from the left side of the trackpad...it also seems to crack when pressed now and again...anyone else find this on their desire??...dont really want to send it back but then id rather have a handset that hasnt got any build issues.

Nah mine seems pretty solid - my only complaint with the track ball is that for panning about and stuff in Maps or in the Browser it seems like it could be a bit faster but then that's what the touch screen is for - in terms of editing text it's about perfect IMO.

Back
Top Bottom