*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Caporegime
Doesn't seem like there are many people on this forum that are interested in this phone :p :(

What deals are people getting?

I am looking at this:

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Basket/index.aspx?affiliate=affiliate_future&aff_id=35637

However, I am not sure what T-mobile is like for my area and other locations in Belfast.

So going to go to CPW to see if they can match or better that deal but on o2 network.

And the Sony Xperia S

And that! :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some guys thoughts from XDA, comparing the X, GN, GS 2 and S:

I was also looking for One X, since coming from a Galaxy Nexus it felt just as the right screen size. After playing 2 days in a row appr. 30 minutes each I walked away with One S for the following reasons.

1. Build quality is absolutely gorgeous - One S has the best look & feel of any mobile in the market today. It`s also the first ultra lightweigt phone, that does not feel cheap in my hands. The One X was a little bit too wide, so one handed operation was to tough - Galaxy Nexus was still in my comfort zone, One X just missed it. Also the build quality does not match One S, even if it`s still better then most competing devices out there.
2. Speed - the One S is the snappiest Android device I ever tested. Everything is incredibly smooth, One X was even slower then my current Galaxy Nexus (which is certainly not really slow...).
3. Display - even if font details can not compete with X or my GN I prefer the better blacks of the S compared to X and the better whites compared to my GN. Also this Amoled is not blueish or greenish, like S2 or GN.
4. Sense 4.0 has finally grown up - with my old DHD I really had to throw Themes at it to use it without throwing up. Now Sense 4.0 has a fairly sopisticated and professional feel and the glossy, childish look of older versions completely disappeared.

Overall for me the One S is a real understatement phone, which would be the true flagship phone for HTC in a different universe, where size & more cores are not the only measurement for being treated as a flagship. Just compare One S to Cinderella - their mother (HTC) could try to show their sisters (One X) as the real deal to the prince (me) as long as she liked, the prince ultimately prefers the beautiful step daughter (One S)

And some more photo samples:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=24586968&postcount=15

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=24493409&postcount=5

Man of Honour
Some of those camera samples are fantastic, really impressive.

It's just a shame the screen is such a deal breaker, I haven't compared them but the One X effectively wipes the floor with the generic AMOLED I suspect.

I also much prefer the design of the X, it is simply stunning in white. I've always liked HTC Sense so that's good too. :cool:

Caporegime

Eugh! Those shots are terrible, I thought the camera was supposed to be really good (and I'm sure the photos I saw previously were better?). Just shows how much better the Pureview really is!

Quick overview of why they are so bad... LOTS of noise, followed by lots of smoothing to get rid of that noise. The typical HTC purple colour cast as well.

I guess I have to remember it's a phone but those images look no better than my old K850...

Caporegime
Some of those camera samples are fantastic, really impressive.

It's just a shame the screen is such a deal breaker, I haven't compared them but the One X effectively wipes the floor with the generic AMOLED I suspect.

I also much prefer the design of the X, it is simply stunning in white. I've always liked HTC Sense so that's good too. :cool:

Well the one X screen destroys every other mobile screen with ease so....... :p

From what I have read so far, the screen overall seems to be better for colours, sharpness (to be expected with the higher res.), battery life etc. than the GS 2 and desire AMOLED screen and some say it isn't really an issue unless you try to look for the issues but as you can imagine if people move from great screens like the one X, GN, iphone 4 etc. then the problems will be easily seen :p

I hate white phones because the iphone is white................jk :p :D Black mobiles all the way for me :cool:

Yup the new sense is much better now, everything feels very polished and super smooth/quick, still not quite sure if I prefer the UI over stock ICS though......

Eugh! Those shots are terrible, I thought the camera was supposed to be really good (and I'm sure the photos I saw previously were better?). Just shows how much better the Pureview really is!

Quick overview of why they are so bad... LOTS of noise, followed by lots of smoothing to get rid of that noise. The typical HTC purple colour cast as well.

I guess I have to remember it's a phone but those images look no better than my old K850...

Some of them aren't great but a few look amazing IMO The colours might not be as vibrant as the GS 2 camera but I think those colours look more "natural", well in some photos :p

I actually think the pictures are very good regarding noise wise.

Last edited:
Soldato
for me the bigger the phone the better, i can easily operate the One X with one hand however when ive given the X to normal iphone type users they have just qucikly said its way to big, i would have no hesitation suggestiong a One S to them.

Obe S is better in a few areas anyway

Caporegime
for me the bigger the phone the better, i can easily operate the One X with one hand however when ive given the X to normal iphone type users they have just qucikly said its way to big, i would have no hesitation suggestiong a One S to them.

Obe S is better in a few areas anyway

I don't mind the size of the one X, GN, however, I wouldn't go any bigger than that personally.

EDIT:

It is a shame that there isn't much interest in this mobile, not just here but at XDA as well :( Kind of surprising as well, I thought more people would have got it due to performing better than the X and having very good battery life at the same time.

I suppose the screen and limited storage is the main killer for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah my iPhone is better.

;)

Being serious they both have good aspects, the screen is the only thing I feel a bit disappointed with. Android itself has come a long way and the build on it is up there with the iPhone 4.

That was one of my major issues with a lot of Android phones, they just felt cheap.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah my iPhone is better.

;)

oc8hF.jpg

Being serious they both have good aspects, the screen is the only thing I feel a bit disappointed with. Android itself has come a long way and the build on it is up there with the iPhone 4.

That was one of my major issues with a lot of Android phones, they just felt cheap.

Yup, it all comes down to what people want out of a phone in the end, personally I could never use any apple device and I have tried :p I just love having choice and being able to do what I want regarding what to use, how my homescreens look etc.

Permabanned
OP
Anyone else with the One S get the issue below.

Turn your brightness to the lowest setting then go to the Google page.

Slight grey banding. Would this be acceptable?

banding.jpg

Caporegime
Some of them aren't great but a few look amazing IMO The colours might not be as vibrant as the GS 2 camera but I think those colours look more "natural", well in some photos :p

I actually think the pictures are very good regarding noise wise.

I don't think the GS2 is particularly brilliant either tbh. The camera technology doesn't seem to have moved on much from the K850 which is around 4-5 years old, although I admit they are leagues ahead of the Touch HD I had!

The noise in the daylight shots is very high, even in ideal conditions there is still noticeable noise! For me that is terrible.

Caporegime
@Johnnytoxic

I can't really see too much of an issue there :p

I believe though what you're describing is quite a common issue with displays for everything e.g. my dell U2311H screen on the left side of the screen on the google homepage has a more grainy grey appearance than the right and my brothers monitor (u2311H also) was the same but slightly worse, he had to RMA it though as it had a dead pixel in the middle and the replacement was much more even looking regarding the gray/grainy on both sides.

I don't think the GS2 is particularly brilliant either tbh.

te9i5.jpg

In that case, no mobile camera is good then! :p

The camera technology doesn't seem to have moved on much from the K850 which is around 4-5 years old, although I admit they are leagues ahead of the Touch HD I had!

The noise in the daylight shots is very high, even in ideal conditions there is still noticeable noise! For me that is terrible.

I am not sure what the camera on the K850 is like so can't really compare to other mobiles myself :p

Are you by any chance a professional photographer? :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was just going to post that right now as well! :D

It also has me slightly concerned about getting the black model now :(

Last edited:
Associate
its either the black model (one S) or the One X for me, the micro arc oxidation and build quality of the One S was a deciding factor in my decision.

Could just be a bad batch?

Back
Top Bottom