*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Caporegime
That "peeling" of the black model seems to be quite common :( Only a few are saying that theirs is still fine.

Raikiri, what about yours?

This macro shot looks pretty impressive (IMO)!

2012-04-08_15.34.34.jpg

The more I read about this mobile and other people's thoughts on it compared to the X, the more I love it! :D

Associate
Mine's not peeling yet, the only mark on it is where I picked it up while I still had my keys in my hand :mad:

The size of the X was just a little too much and I loved how the S felt in the hand so bought it.
Personally I love the camera in good light, it's a bit dodgy in some indoor shots but the speed of focusing and shutter is amazing. I can now get shots of my daughter which would have been a blurry mess on the HTC Sensation.

The signal I get with it is great too, wifi and mobile.

Very happy so far.

Oh and the 25GB dropbox is actually 23 GB + 2GB sign up so if you have already have got an account you only get an extra 23GB on top of whatever you already have.

Caporegime
On XDA people are saying that the screen in terms of colours, sharpness etc. is better on the one S than the galaxy S SAMOLED (some say better than the S2 in terms of colours as well, along with the sharper display obviously :p) and better than the desire AMOLED :)

If I get the S within the next week, I will be able to compare it to a desire AMOLED.

Soldato
Anybody willing to comment on screen quality between the One S and the Desire AMOLED?

I prefer the One S but honestly you should compare whole packages rather than one part.

As I said in the other thread, this phone is exceptional, I honestly have no clue why HTC released both side by side though :)

Associate
I prefer the One S but honestly you should compare whole packages rather than one part.

As I said in the other thread, this phone is exceptional, I honestly have no clue why HTC released both side by side though :)

Not sure what you mean? I'm currently deciding between the One S and the One X, and the only real thing I need to look at is screen quality (including size :) ) vs. battery life.

I'd love the One X but in reality I have to get the device which works for the way I use my phone, and if the One X struggles with a whole day that's a negative. If the S has such a poor screen then I suppose the X it is!

Man of Honour
Not sure what you mean? I'm currently deciding between the One S and the One X, and the only real thing I need to look at is screen quality (including size :) ) vs. battery life.

I'd love the One X but in reality I have to get the device which works for the way I use my phone, and if the One X struggles with a whole day that's a negative. If the S has such a poor screen then I suppose the X it is!

Apparently the upcoming OTA greatly improves the One X battery life which seems to be pretty good anyway.

In its current state it should go a day of fairly heavy usage without too much trouble.

Soldato

Then I totally mis-judged the question sorry :) Due to the design the S in theory should always last longer than the X but the screen of the X to me is worth the difference. The Screen of the S is in no way a poor example of such though, I enjoy using it and without the X as comparison I'd be telling everyone to get this over the nexus.

Caporegime

Well from a lot of research on both phones and having a good play with both of them, this is my opinion;

- X has got the much better screen for more natural colours etc. and is noticeably sharper when side by side with the S, however, blacks are black on the S, power consumption is lower on the S especially if you use a black UI, has more vivid colours which will be better for videos (of course some people may not like this) and I wouldn't say that the S screen is "poor", but if you have the X beside it, it won't look great considering the X has great tech. for the screen and it has received great comments regarding the screen and some reviewers have said that it makes the galaxy nexus screen look **** pretty much :p and that it is also better than the 4s screen

If you take away the X, the only android mobiles that have a better screen overall is the nexus and a couple of Sony's mobiles.

- S has got better performance and is slightly smoother/faster in real world usage than the X I found (better GPU and processor and the lower res. screen means you get even more oomph :p) and newer technology than the X as well

- You have more storage on the X as well as NFC

- Much more premium feel to the S and of course it is more comfortable to hold and use in one hand

- Video recording seems to be better on the S and the camera (photos) appears to be better on the X

- Battery life is better on the S by a good bit (still too early to tell though for both mobiles, the X seems perfectly fine as well though considering the screen), this is due to the CPU and lower screen res. AMOLED screen

I suggest that you read through these threads, there isn't too many pages, but I found them very helpful :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1590649

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1582396

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1548396

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1558039

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HTC-One-X-vs-HTC-One-S_id3005

The best thing to do is to go and have a play with both of them in a shop and see what you think :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
How long has the screen been on? What brightness level do you have the screen at for most of the time?

I presume you have "conditioned" the battery as well, as in, run it right down from 100 to 0 to calibrate it?

Looks good from what I can see there so far though :)

Last edited:
Associate
Almost got this from P4U today they offered:

400 mins
3000 txt
750 MB
24 months free wifi (forgot to ask who that was with tho)
£120 cash back
£40 htc accessory (doubt it's worth that but hey it's free)

For £31 on a 24 month contract with Orange

Was pretty tempted but still got like 5 months on my sim only deal so was umming and arring over it.

they offered the extra cashback, wifi and accessory after all the umming and arring.

I did see Tesco are doing it for £26 a month (24m on T-mobile)
300 mins
500 txt
unlimited booster
750MB
+£25 tesco voucher

Same with the HTC one X without the voucher tho.

Associate

Thanks for the links, some of those were quite interesting and some I saw at the weekend.

if the S has better image quality than my Desire, then that's one less advantage the X has.... or so I'm telling myslef.

I used the X at the weekend and thought it was great. I foolishly didn't wait to see the S (my other half was patient enough!). I prefer the form factor and battery length of the S, but will I always be pining after the X? I'm surprised how close the pricing of these two handsets is....

Soldato
How long has the screen been on? What brightness level do you have the screen at for most of the time?

I presume you have "conditioned" the battery as well, as in, run it right down from 100 to 0 to calibrate it?

Looks good from what I can see there so far though :)

Screen is at about 80%, and I have been using it pretty much as normal. Few calls, texts, and pics, Web over wifi and 3g etc.

I did run the battery down to 0 before charging.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks for the links, some of those were quite interesting and some I saw at the weekend.

if the S has better image quality than my Desire, then that's one less advantage the X has.... or so I'm telling myslef.

I used the X at the weekend and thought it was great. I foolishly didn't wait to see the S (my other half was patient enough!). I prefer the form factor and battery length of the S, but will I always be pining after the X? I'm surprised how close the pricing of these two handsets is....

No problem :)

Yeah the S screen will be better overall than the desire's screen, but the X has got the best screen on the market now, so if the screen is the most important factor for you and you want the best there is then the X wins easily :p

Screen is at about 80%, and I have been using it pretty much as normal. Few calls, texts, and pics, Web over wifi and 3g etc.

I did run the battery down to before charging.

Wow, nice! :cool: Most people keep the AMOLED based screens to about 30-40% due to high power consumption at high % levels and even still the battery remaining would be a good bit less than what you're getting with roughly the same usage.

You forgot to post the length of time that the screen was on for though :p

Back
Top Bottom