*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Cheers Nexus - never really used FTP much but I think it's the way forward.

Tried AirDroid - very nice. Like Kies Air but better. What speeds are you getting on files transfers - I'm getting 1MB/s which doesn't seem great :(

Gonna give it a try on the HOS to compare speeds.

Yeah, probably some tweaks to the software to make it a bit quicker and also due to removal of apps that can't be removed on stock etc. thus better memory management and yup I think trickdroid has a custom memory tweak built in (that is also used for the X IIRC).

Spot on! If you have a weak signal, or/and where your mobile is struggling to hold a signal then that will consume a fair bit of battery, particularly if it is with the mobile data connection.

Have you tried just enabling GSM only mode instead WCDMA/GSM, I find that my single was more consistent and stronger when I selected GSM only mode even when wifi is enabled. Kona said it also improved his voice reception.

I'm on Three network which are 3G only. I get the choice in options of 'WCDMA only' and 'GSM/WCDMA auto'.

I sometimes lose connection both at home and out and about and the phone often then reconnects but with an 'R' above the signal bars which I presume is roaming? Phone works OK as a phone but you are on G for data and it seems like it doesn't even work at that protocol because there seems little to no data transmission. This doesn't happen too often thankfully. I still get signal reception jumping up and down and presume there is a software problem. Hopefully HTC are looking into this signal issue - though I won't hold my breath :mad: I can still slip my Three sim into my Moto Defy+ and I get a wonderful signal :confused: I can't think it can be that difficult in this day and age to make phone signal reception work properly?

I am also concerned about loosing my warranty :( As knowing my luck something will go wrong and I won't be able to get into the recovery etc. :( :p

Yeah, will have to read the guides over and over again to get into the swing of things :p :o Did the exact same with my spica, must have read all the guides about 100 times before I actually did anything (rooted and flashed a custom after about 3-4 months of owning it).

That is a concern. I look at this way - if I break it say dropping it then it's not a warranty issue. If the phone hardware fails then hopefully HTC will stand by it as long as I've not cooked the cpu overclocking it (not interested in overclocking my phone).

I was sure something would go wrong and it's not something I've done a lot of with Android phones. Part me is a serial fiddler and couldn't wait to load another rom and the other half of me was screaming 'it'll go wrong' and I'll end up back on the Defy+ :eek: You do it at your own risk :D Certainly worth it for no other reason as to get rid of the 3 dot menu as it does take up more than its fair share of screen real-estate.

Cheers Nexus - never really used FTP much but I think it's the way forward.

Tried AirDroid - very nice. Like Kies Air but better. What speeds are you getting on files transfers - I'm getting 1MB/s which doesn't seem great :(

Gonna give it a try on the HOS to compare speeds.

No problem :)

It most certainly is! :cool:

With wifi best performance disabled, I get this:

hAfrf.png

However, I would probably get more if it weren't for my xxxx superhub :mad:

As I said earlier in a post, only get 29MB dll and 2.90MB upload on my PC connection but on my mobile I get up to 50MB dll and 4-5MB upload, so the PC connection is limiting my proper speeds.

Also that is using chrome (airdroid doesn't work well with the UX/nightly firefox build :()

Isn't the login cool?! :D :cool:

I'm on Three network which are 3G only. I get the choice in options of 'WCDMA only' and 'GSM/WCDMA auto'.

Oh, that is a shame then :( Thought that would have been a standard thing :confused:

I think there is a certain number you can dial in the dialer that brings advanced settings up and allows you to force a certain connection, although can't remember it, but I remember that I did it with my spica, which was on the three network.

I sometimes lose connection both at home and out and about and the phone often then reconnects but with an 'R' above the signal bars which I presume is roaming? Phone works OK as a phone but you are on G for data and it seems like it doesn't even work at that protocol because there seems little to no data transmission. This doesn't happen too often thankfully. I still get signal reception jumping up and down and presume there is a software problem. Hopefully HTC are looking into this signal issue - though I won't hold my breath :mad: I can still slip my Three sim into my Moto Defy+ and I get a wonderful signal :confused: I can't think it can be that difficult in this day and age to make phone signal reception work properly?

Yup, that will be roaming :)

G is the second slowest data connection (only good for emails and syncing etc.) slowest is E.

Yeah, that could be largely brought by you not being able to force just a GSM connection as well, as my signal isn't as consistent when using WCDMA (unless in an area that has very good reception).

It probably is a software issue (hope it is :p), the next update that we are getting apparently is suppose to improve it a bit more........

That is a concern. I look at this way - if I break it say dropping it then it's not a warranty issue. If the phone hardware fails then hopefully HTC will stand by it as long as I've not cooked the cpu overclocking it (not interested in overclocking my phone).

Yeah, very hard to say how HTC would react if certain things happened :(

I was sure something would go wrong and it's not something I've done a lot of with Android phones. Part me is a serial fiddler and couldn't wait to load another rom and the other half of me was screaming 'it'll go wrong' and I'll end up back on the Defy+ :eek: You do it at your own risk :D Certainly worth it for no other reason as to get rid of the 3 dot menu as it does take up more than its fair share of screen real-estate.

haha yeah :D It is a terrifying experience! That feeling you get in your stomach etc. when flashing etc. was xxxxxxxx myself during the process of rooting and flashing a custom ROM on my spica for the first time etc. :o :p Imagine what I would be like doing the same to my S :eek: :o :p

I will root and flash a custom ROM etc. on my S at some point, just no idea as to when :D :p

Wow, this phone puts a smile on my face, such a difference coming from a Sony ericson xperia x8!

haha, nice upgrade then! :) Enjoy :cool:

Last edited:
so you're getting 1.66 MB/s transfer to pc?

hmmm - ok for small files I guess.

Cool login? what the passcode bit? seems standard to me :confused::D

Yup, a 70MB 1080P video transfer from phone to PC and 1.82MB transfer from PC to mobile with the same video file, as said though I am probably being limited by the superhub :(

Yeah if you're planning to transfer like 500+ MB then plugging it in via USB to the PC is still the best for speed, I only transfer about 50-300MB each time every 3 days or so, so I am happy enough with that :)

You won't get your full speeds using FTP anyway :(, can't remember what the reason is though.

The uber cool login! Goto web droid site on your pc browser and then launching the airdroid app on your phone and scanning the qr code via the camera on your phone and you are automatically logged in to webairdroid site on your PC browser! :D :cool:

I must be easy to please :p :o

I got 1.4MB's using the HOS - With wifi best performance disabled. My router is a bit crappy for stuff like that.

Ohhh - go to the site...ahhh - I typed the number instead - doh!

That qr-code log in is very cool indeed! :cool:

FYI you can set a passcode of your own and it will stay the same always. :)

I got 1.4MB's using the HOS - With wifi best performance disabled. My router is a bit crappy for stuff like that.

Ohhh - go to the site...ahhh - I typed the number instead - doh!

That qr-code log in is very cool indeed! :cool:

FYI you can set a passcode of your own and it will stay the same always. :)

Any router is better than the superhub for wireless stuff! :p

facepalm.jpg

:p :D

Indeed! :cool:

Yeah I seen that, thanks :) Love the camera/qr code login too much though :p

Last edited:
Quick battery life rundown again :o

Much the same usage as listed before but slightly less web browsing and a lot more camera usage (photos and 1080P videos):

3NPmJ.png XK8BH.png LxTBY.png
I also installed that mimic of smart stay called iseeyou around the 3 hour on screen time mark and it works very well (except in dark conditions!) and surprisingly it didn't seem to affect battery life at all, could be why I got a bit more out of one charge this time :eek: :p

Shame that web browsing kills battery life :(

Some great news for the people that like to flash custom ROMs and that particularly like the MIUI ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1719834

http://translate.google.com/transla...//www.miui.com/thread-616455-1-1.html&act=url

Wondering what is so great about that? :p

Well that ROM has the sense camera implemented! :D

I know that there are quite a few people who really like the MIUI ROM, personally not too fussed on it by the looks of it, due to it being a bit too much like IOS and a bit girly looking :p And also far too much white is used!

Last edited:
I would never take my mobile out when it is raining, knowing my luck, I would drop it in a huge puddle as well! :p :o

Weather really is **** today, hasn't stopped raining at all! :(

@ Nexus and Sarge - can you recommend me a free picture resizer (for windows) that can make the pictures smaller (like the resizes I've done) but keeps as much quality as possible. I've just realised the resizer I've used does compress it to hell :o

well took the plunge and finally ordered the htc one s at the rainforest for £360

Nice one! :) :cool:

@Kona

Sorry, no idea what the best free one is :(, I just have adobe photoshop and sometimes use imgur to resize when uploading photos online.

EDIT:

Maybe GIMP would be good? Suppose to be the best free photoshop program iirc.

Last edited:
@ Nexus and Sarge - can you recommend me a free picture resizer (for windows) that can make the pictures smaller (like the resizes I've done) but keeps as much quality as possible. I've just realised the resizer I've used does compress it to hell :o

Paint? Comparing now and if anything it stays sharper than photoshop taking a 1920x1080 image down to 50%.

Back
Top Bottom