*** The official HTC One S thread ***

@Kona

What is the diztronic matte case like for feel? Is it a hard rubber or soft rubber like the tough case mate silicone part?

Feels great in the hand - like the back of a HTC Desire. Its more hard than soft, but still very flexible - just like a TPU case but with a nice matte finish on the back :).

Does it show fingerprints and greasy marks easily and if it does, is it easy enough to clean/wipe off?

Not easily - and quite easy to rub off iirc.

And just to clarify, you found it be very good for the power/lock and volume buttons? Good feedback and not too easy to press but not too hard to press?

Yep only the volume buttons are covered - and they have good enough feed back. Cut outs are very nicely done in both shape and final-finish.

Ok thanks :) Definitely going for that case now and I think that will be me for good :p

I just know that once I order it or receive it, the nillkin case will show up the day after :o :p

@richy

Probably the only good things about motorola phones :p

Probably so :rolleyes: I did consider the Razr Maxx as said before but jibbed out in the end. They are supposed to be releasing a Razr HD but end of the day it's still a Motorola :eek:

Hmm, strange that! Pretty sure all GS 2 can update to ICS now, even the network branded ones? TBH you are probably better of in some ways sticking with GB on the GS 2 as there seems to be more problems on it, like battery drain sometimes, more lag, amongst other issues, probably due to people not factory resetting the phone after though....

It is very easy with Samsung phones, I think it would more or less be the same process as it was with my spica, simply dll the files from samfirmware and load the 4 or 3 files into odin by browsing for them and then putting the GS 2 into dll mode by holding certain buttons and then clicking the start button on odin and that is it pretty much and then to root simply load one file into odin and put the mobile back in dll mode again and click start in odin and that is you ready to flash custom ROms etc. via recovery.

The guide to using Odin and flashing over CWM recovery wrongly told me to hold home-volume up-power to enter download mode. What I actually needed to do was hold volume key down which worked and was able to flash the recovery OK. Now done a nandroid backup and should be able to flash a rom off of the sd card once I find one I fancy :)

iphone 5........................ no more needs to be said :D :p Nah, the only good thing, which will/should happen with the 5 is hopefully a bigger screen with very little bezel and a completely new design rather than a rectangle slab and hardware upgrades won't be that impressive, probably be roughly the same as the GS 3, but you won't really notice it anyway as they are already fast and smooth. They need to do something about the software, ios is getting very dated looking now and is really boring IMO.

Now I do realize that Nexus would rather stick a fork in his eye than own an iPhone :D

I wouldn't be surprised tbh if it was rooted and custom ROMs on by the previous owner, as long as it works though :) No idea what the process is like for the GS 2.

Could have been. Kies won't upgrade any firmware or load any updates on the phone though the prog does look to be pants so not overly worried.

Anyway, sorry for the topic drift folks though wouldn't have looked at the samsung if HTC would come up with some sort of fix or improvement on signal reception :o

not too such what to do about this then, dont want to return it and then end up with the s3 chipset as I have the s4 at 1.5ghz although its advertised as 1.5ghz on the rain forrest site. The chipping is minimal and I could live with it but its only been a few days and its not nice to pay £360 for something and have to settle for lack of quality.

How long is it before you can return stuff? 14 or 28 days? Would only want another model tbh as I like the phone and would not be requesting a refund.

Last edited:
No idea if there is, Robbo or/and Sarge or/and kona would know better if there is a revised one S on the way.

Nothing to do with old or new devices, just a problem with them all although some people i.e. me and kona as well as skillmister etc. aren't experiencing these issues as badly as others like Richy etc. It seems to come down to how good the coverage is for your area, from what I can gather if your in an area where it isn't great then signal will vary a lot and cut out every now and again, even more so if you have an H/3G connection as well, so need to make sure that your network provides good coverage before getting one.

There will be more software updates to try and improve it though, but no idea when the next one is coming, the previous 2 updates (for USA) seems to have fixed it for some and for others, it hasn't :(

I think Sarge is onto the signal prob and by watching mast ID in Network Signal Info app seems to swap from strong mast to weaker ones quite a bit. That is what happens up here. I noticed my Motorola was hanging onto the local strongest mast while at the same time my One S was switching between quite a few masts .... or so it seems? I'm hopeful of a software fix from HTC but not holding my breath. In our yard I can go from full bars to zero and all in between in the space of 60 secs. Interestingly in call the One S often seems to lock onto strongest mast and not switch about? I'm no expert on mobile telecoms though

@Richy

Oh :eek:

I followed this guide for my spica:

androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-spica/124299-root-me-baby-one-more-time.html

Best guide ever!

That should be you sorted now then, get flashing ROMs! :)

Lol, indeed! :D I would rather be stuck using my nokia 3310 than an iphone! :p

Yup, KIES is probably the worst program I have ever installed on my PC :p

@Lighters

You should be fine, just make it clear to them that you ordered the mobile because of the S4 chip and won't be happy if they send you a S3 model as that isn't what you paid for and if they do you have every right to return it and get the S4 back.

@Kona

Yeah, it certainly looks the best and much better looking than the TPU gel case I got! Going to order it soon :)

EDIT:

Yeah that just sounds like a software problem to me, can't see why the hardware would be causing that.

HTC just need to put some time towards the one S regarding the signal issue now and get it sorted once and for all.

Last edited:
This "tpd" process is ****ing me of now! :mad:

WgdNH.jpg.png

Going to create a thread on xda later to see why it is still showing and how to properly disable it.

Meh, no replies on XDA so far............:( Such a **** site for help!

So glad I ordered the diztronic case, some guy dropped his S and this is the result :

IMG_20120703_155351.jpg

:(

That didn't last long :p

If you want ultimate protection and a quality case overall, the case mate tough, however, it adds a bit of bulk (not too much though considering the protection it offers) and can attract a fair bit of dust along the silicone edges quite a lot and it costs a fair bit for a case.

If you want minimal bulk, which covers all edges then the TPU cases are the best, the one, which kona got and I am now getting is the diztronic matte case, can't get it anywhere else though :( But you can get other TPU cases like it but the glossy/shiny finish instead from the rainforest site etc. (pretty cheap as well ranging from £3-10), however, the volume buttons are quite hard to press and the power/lock button is to easy to press (going by the one I got).

So basically, the diztronic matte TPU case :D :p

EDIT:

I should have it this Saturday and if not then Monday and of course will be posting a mini review of it the same day that I receive it :)

EDIT 2:

Kona posted some photos of that diztronic case here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22201135&postcount=1168

I'll bite the bullet and get one aswell for that price. I'll just use it when i go out if it's not too hard to get on/off.

Yeah you can't go wrong at that price :)

It will be a bit difficult the first few times to get the case off (pretty easy getting it on) but once it loosens up a bit, it shouldn't take too long, the tough case was very hard to get off the first 5 or so times, but after that, it comes off easily (just a bit of force needed), same with the gel TPU case

Just chased my order.
Phones4u are out of stock(despite being told otherwise on the phone). Stock due around 16th July.

bummer :(

Unlucky :(

Just make sure you get the S4 version and tell them that, at least if you do get the S4, it means you are more likely to get the new design with the bevelled USB port etc. :)

"Are you laughing about me with people on the internet?"
"No Mum" :rolleyes:

snip

:D

Looks nasty :(

Just bought a One S from the bay and it should be here in a day or 2, will be a nice upgrade from my Desire!

Now on the lookout for a case and screen protector.

Liking the look of the Nillkin case but the lack of protection on the ends bothers me, the Diztronic looks like the best bet for slim yet full protection.
How long does this take to come from the US?

I might get a cheapo TPU case in the meantime if its going to take a while to turn up or even the Nillkin....hell its only a few quid more! ;)

On the subject of screen protectors i've no idea what to buy, can anyone advise me? The genuine HTC ones dont get the best reviews so i'm a little stuck on what to buy, is the one that comes with the Diztronic any good?

Thanks all.

Now on the lookout for a case and screen protector.

Liking the look of the Nillkin case but the lack of protection on the ends bothers me, the Diztronic looks like the best bet for slim yet full protection.
How long does this take to come from the US?

I might get a cheapo TPU case in the meantime if its going to take a while to turn up or even the Nillkin....hell its only a few quid more! ;)

On the subject of screen protectors i've no idea what to buy, can anyone advise me? The genuine HTC ones dont get the best reviews so i'm a little stuck on what to buy, is the one that comes with the Diztronic any good?

Thanks all.

Kona ordered his on Monday at 6PM iirc and it arrived the same week on Saturday :)

I have only tried the official HTC screen protector for the S and it is great! Don't go by the rainforest reviews, half the people have no clue at all :p

To address some of those "reviews":

You don't need a "special card" in order to apply the SP, your fingers are perfectly fine and you don't need a "special card" to remove air bubbles, your finger nails and a normal credit card is just fine as well :p

Mine didn't come dirty, they look dirty, but once the "protector" part is removed they are clean.

Do you really need in depth instructions in order to apply a SP? :p

Is a cleaning cloth necessary?

Mine is a perfect fit, which hopefully you can see from my photos in my mini review of the SP.

Was going to order the best there is, martin fields, but ended up being extremely pleased with that official one, so cancelled the MF SP :)

Only alternatives is something like Zagg, invisible shield.

My mini review of the official HTC one S SP

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1071937-htc-one-s/page__st__15__p__594864701#entry594864701

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom