*** The official HTC One S thread ***

@Jabbs

I am on o2 as well (contract) and still have never had those screen/touch problems, and there have been plenty of times where my connection has gone from G to E as well.

You might as well return the mobile and get a replacement, you got nothing to loose.

Very nice photo skillmister! :)

Last edited:
Posted a question in that guys app thread last night as he seemed to be answering loads of questions there and as usual, no one replies to my question about the "tpd" process :( Absolutely useless forum for general help!

Just have to ignore that process as I have no clue what it might be under the android system, at least the battery life overall is still very good anyway, just would love to be able to disable that app/process (if possible) in order to improve it even more.

Thanks again Sarge for looking into that "tpd" process :)

Oh nice! Thanks :)

Nice to see Samsung helping out due to the shortages :)

Hopefully will start to see a lot more phones with the S4 chip now, especially a Samsung mid-range phone to compete with the S.

Hmm, thought you would have got much better reception with the GS 2, same level as your defy.

The GS 2 has got ICS, have you checked for the latest via OTA in settings or through samsung kies (awful program though)? If not you can manually flash the stock firmware using odin (very very easy), can get the files from samfirmware, tbh it is better doing it just this way :p

ICS won't improve battery life by much, only idle drain. Best to get the extended battery in order to get roughly the same levels as the S.

What do you think of the screen?

Don't do anything with either of the phones till the new nexus devices are out ;) You will regret it if you do :p

What to do? I've tried the Samsung in both locations I generally work and signal reception has been poorer than the One S. I say pooper in that it about matches the One S for signal strength but doesn't hang on when signal goes even further south. I've flashed an ICS rom which is OK and tried flashing a few modem zips after some research as to what might suit but all gave same results. Meanwhile dratted Motorola has no issues what so ever in the signal department? What the hell is going on I dunno :mad:

I've made things worse as well - I've flashed ICS rom onto the Moto Defy+ after rooting and flashing clockwork recovery. Given the phone a lift I can tell you more so with some Apex goodness installed. I'll give it a go for a day or two and see if it still reboots. Today it has been fine though could go for a few days then sporadically reboot.

So leaves me a dilemma with the other two phones - Samsung GS2 and One S? I think for sure I'm going to sell the Samsung and if all goes well with the Defy+ and ICS I'll start to wonder about the One S :eek: I will say the Defy+ is not as fast as the One S scrolling through menus and the like and as for gaming the One S would kick it out the field. But I don't really phone game! Screen neither looks as good and is the wrong side of small though does make for a compact phone with 3.7" screen. In honesty it's not half the phone the One S is but what a phone is used for the Defy+ blows the One S away ... making and receiving calls without signal loss. ICS has really perked the phone up. ICS in the form of Quarx latest CM9. Motorola are maybe missing a trick there and steadfastly pee their Defy owners with no ICS upgrades.

I'll see how the Defy+ goes as it may totally pee me off this time tomorrow :D I'm ever hopeful about HTC stepping up to the plate and giving the One S some support .... though on the other hand :confused: :mad:

Richy, why are you keeping a phone that effectively doesn't work properly. It's as good as faulty.

The sad thing is it doesn't seem like a replacement will fix it, so I'd forget the One S and get something else. Don't put up with it, it's not good enough.

It's not as if it's a massively unique phone that is totally worth keeping, there's nothing about it that you can't similarly achieve with something else.

I mean, a Defy+? Really?! :confused:

Just get an S3/4S/One X or something, it's no good effectively punishing yourself... and paying for the 'privilege'.

Wait so the GS 2 doesn't do any better than the S? :confused:

The defy must have an excellent antenna :p

There is not much point then of getting another Samsung or HTC phone if the GS 2 isn't any better, there must be something wrong if even an all plastic top end phone like the GS 2 is struggling?

It's not as if it's a massively unique phone that is totally worth keeping, there's nothing about it that you can't similarly achieve with something else.

Depends on how you look at it ;)

Not really to be honest (and I'd say that about any of the other phones as well). It's effectively rubbish for him, so why should he keep it? Utterly pointless.

Oh, I thought you meant just in general the S overall :p

But yeah I agree if the phone isn't getting signal most of the time etc. then something needs to replace it, however, he could hang on to it to see if HTC does do anything to try and improve it with updates.

Also, didn't he say a while back that his wife's iPhone 4S has a solid signal? The 4S holds a very good signal but it's nothing exceptional... so the S2 should be okay as well.

You did lol
so much passion over a mobile phone here.
I hope it was a good idea not to go for the one X, it was about £80ish more sim free though.
I think this will be a good size as its already larger than my xperia x10 and i think that is on the large size already.

Nice, you shouldn't be disappointed :)

What made you go with the S over the XS in the end then?

Yup, only the 1 update so far, which improves wifi a bit and supposedly signal strength amongst other things, no proper changelog unfortunately :(

This is the version that I and most others here are currently on:

BHTce.png

Just need to go to settings, about and software updates, iirc the update is about 59MB, make sure you have at least 60% battery left and that the charger isn't connected when updating.

Remember to do a factory reset after you install the update as well.

Richy, why are you keeping a phone that effectively doesn't work properly. It's as good as faulty.

The sad thing is it doesn't seem like a replacement will fix it, so I'd forget the One S and get something else. Don't put up with it, it's not good enough.

Well I know a replacement won't fix it cos I've tried. It certainly isn't good enough :eek:

I mean, a Defy+? Really?! :confused:

Just get an S3/4S/One X or something, it's no good effectively punishing yourself... and paying for the 'privilege'.

Some would say the One S hasn't a lot going for it? A coating that chips off, 10gigs of useable storage and in my case the signal issue.

Defy - yes I know :o But the fricking thing works unlike the other two over priced useless ba***rds :D

S3 - A little too big for my use and in a manual job would be at risk in my pocket @ £499 :eek: Though shopping about could be cheaper. 4S ???? You'll have Nexus kicking your door down :D One X, well it's HTC and I've not got a lot of love for them currently :(

I'm sick as hell currently with this signal carry on. A peed arsed phone like the Defy+ has no issues with signal reception. BTW, in the city the One S is fine and the GS2 seemed to be? If I didn't know better I'd say it was the signal in the sticks and yet the Three mast we have LOS to on our doorstep. Hell, my teeth fillings could nearly connect to the Three network :D Smaller towns and elsewhere in the sticks and the One S struggles too, ot at least mine have.

I've just taken a screen shot of Defy sitting at a constant -89dBm in our living room where I have another screen shot of One S with same sim card at -101 to -109dBm. Now how does that stack up? Staff at the Three shop don't want know .... but then I was warned about their CS so only myself to blame. Only alternative here is the slightly slower T-Mobile.

Also, didn't he say a while back that his wife's iPhone 4S has a solid signal? The 4S holds a very good signal but it's nothing exceptional... so the S2 should be okay as well.

I'll get her to get it unlocked (currently locked to tesco) and try my Three sim and see how it shapes out of interest? Other one is to try a T-Mobile PAYG sim in the One S in case it's some Three signal incompatibility?

You did lol

Lol :D

God! Now I am nervous in case you hate the phone!!! :o

so much passion over a mobile phone here.
I hope it was a good idea not to go for the one X, it was about £80ish more sim free though.
I think this will be a good size as its already larger than my xperia x10 and i think that is on the large size already.

Indeed! It is a lovely device to use (if you don't have the signal problem!), even GSMarena spoke very highly of it, which is unusual for a "mid end" device review.

IMO, the only advantages of the X are the following;

- screen, very nice and much sharper than the S with more screen real estate, but I love the blacks and more vibrant colours of SAMOLED so, for me that makes up for the inferior res. in some ways
- storage, not much needs to be said here :p
- NFC (still not popular enough here for shopping but the has useful stuff like the tags [most tasks can be done with tasker etc. though], however, unsure as to how things will turn out when/if the iphone 5 has it and apple put their marketing magic on that feature, will probably take of a fair bit then :p)
- larger/better developing community

So essentially really just the storage and screen.

Look forward to hearing what you think :)

Lol :D

God! Now I am nervous in case you hate the phone!!! :o

Indeed! It is a lovely device to use (if you don't have the signal problem!), even GSMarena spoke very highly of it, which is unusual for a "mid end" device review.

IMO, the only advantages of the X are the following;

- screen, very nice and much sharper than the S with more screen real estate, but I love the blacks and more vibrant colours of SAMOLED so, for me that makes up for the inferior res. in some ways
- storage, not much needs to be said here :p
- NFC (still not popular enough here for shopping but the has useful stuff like the tags [most tasks can be done with tasker etc. though], however, unsure as to how things will turn out when/if the iphone 5 has it and apple put their marketing magic on that feature, will probably take of a fair bit then :p)
- larger/better developing community

So essentially really just the storage and screen.

Look forward to hearing what you think :)

Well I played with the S3 in a shop, people say the X is even bigger in the hands which is just not on. Its a shame top end android now means stupid size. I actually wish there was something in iphone size with decent specs.

Its getting delivered tomorrow.

A coating that chips off, 10gigs of useable storage and in my case the signal issue.

Which was fixed rather quickly considering they changed the design, and isn't a problem with every phone. Plenty for a lot of (most?) people. Again, an issue that certainly doesn't affect everyone.

But i guess everything else is perfect if you ignore the problems the OneX has, the major signal issues the almighty iphone 4 had along with camera problems, and no doubt issues with the S2 and S3 at some point :p

The defy must have an excellent antenna :p

Someone on XDA did say on that point that Motorola are generally good in that department .... Nokia too :eek:

There is not much point then of getting another Samsung or HTC phone if the GS 2 isn't any better, there must be something wrong if even an all plastic top end phone like the GS 2 is struggling?

Size aside, it kinda puts me off the One X and GS3!

Well I played with the S3 in a shop, people say the X is even bigger in the hands which is just not on. Its a shame top end android now means stupid size. I actually wish there was something in iphone size with decent specs.

My thoughts exactly. But that is just my personal preference. Each to is own. One S is about as big as I would like to go.

Back
Top Bottom