*** The Official HTC Windows Phone 8X (Accord) Thread ***

Soldato
any reason HTC didn't announce the flagship phone? or is it being held back until the windows phone 8 launch at the end of october?

Soldato
Seems to be about the same actually, only with the option to get a Wireless Charging back cover, but getting all the Nokia Apps etc.
Plus it has a mSD slot.
Removable battery.

8X has 720p screen, looks a lot better, that alone makes it a much better phone to me personally. It is behind the 920 in terms of camera, and apps but the 920 is also a huge slab of plastic, being the same size as the One X and coming in at 180g.

Soldato
I didn't realise the world had such pansies they didn't have the muscles to hold that much weight.
Agree on the screen though, I thought the 820 had a higher resolution that the older one.

Soldato
I didn't realise the world had such pansies they didn't have the muscles to hold that much weight.
Agree on the screen though, I thought the 820 had a higher resolution that the older one.

Not really pansies it just when your used to your phone being lighter it will feel weird, I also don't like having another heavy thing in my pockets, more just personally choice.

Also £399 for the 8X seems like a decent price.

Last edited:
Associate
8X has 720p screen, looks a lot better, that alone makes it a much better phone to me personally. It is behind the 920 in terms of camera, and apps but the 920 is also a huge slab of plastic, being the same size as the One X and coming in at 180g.

For your information :
Both Nokia Lumia 920 and htc 8x body been made from polycarbonate
looks better is a personal choice, 920 has a better design than 8x in my opinion and better spec in screen technology. storage , camera,apps/services, bluetooth 4.0 vs 2.1 and wireless charging

i put 8X with Lumia 820 in mid range category

Last edited:
Associate
^^ It'll be the same as the OneX's camera, so quality is good, low light is good, but depending on how well the IS works the 920 could feasibly be better for stationary low light stuff and video.

As for Cu3ed... This has twin audio amps, a nicer (in my, Cnet, techradar etc's opinions. They also prefer the 8X design to the 920, and they've held both unlike you) design, a proven camera (given the previous lumia cameras were terrible and afaik it's not the same one as on the 920) a 720p screen instead of WVGA among others.

Don't forget that this isn't HTC's top-end Windows phone, this is the Accord, the mid-high end phone which I think a 720p 4.3", gorgeous phone fills very nicely. We haven't seen the Zenith yet which will be their chief Ativ S/920 rival when it comes out, and seeing as the 8X already compares quite well with the 920 (which will undoubtedly be more expensive as well as being an EE exclusive), I'd say this is a very good move from HTC.

i thought HTC following same handsets on every carrier :/
they are doing that in US 8x will be available on at&t, t-mobile and verizon wireless according to htc conference
been exclusive will reduce the sales how can it be a good move

Associate
some of the advantages that i like on 8x

-BeatsAudio with 2 hardware amplifiers the sound really amazing clear and loud
-smaller screen with HD resolution this device could fit people who want smaller screen -with higher end device than 820
-there is Dedicated image sensor for fast image capture with beautiful colors
-weight 130g weight is an advantage for some people and others really don't care about weight
-front facing camera 2.1MP

Video For HTC 8X Audio amplifier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mX-BVdthfE&hd=1

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Torchxit I appreciate you trying to help out but at the same time you just sound like an poorly translated HTC brochure at times.

The HTC are releasing both the 8X and 8S on every carrier that will take it, I was saying that the Lumia 920 is an exclusive for Everything Everywhere when it launches, undoubtedly ramping the price up a lot.

The only exclusive on the 8X front is that the red one is a Verizon exclusive.

Soldato
I think it's a really nice design and I'm going to definately take a look when it's time to move on from my 800.

Remember folks that the Nokia's location based services are going to be available for all WP8 handsets.

So this will have Nokia Drive, Maps, Lens etc.

Soldato

It's not about that at all
I had a nokia n900, best phone I ever had, but at 180g, it wasn't the slip it in your pocket and forget it type phone, you were always aware that you had it.
This is a good phone though, but Im still leaning towards the 920, but will have to see how well it passes the 'pocket test' before I make a decision as I live out of whatever i can fit in my pockets.

I hadn't heard about the Zenith, will go and research it as I thought the 8X was the top of the range device

Soldato
OP
For those wondering why the Zenith hasn't been released, I reckon it's because Microsoft wanted every launch device on an Dual core S4 Krait (as announced in Q2 this year, I think) so that the initial experience is more or less the same for all of them, and HTC might want their proper flagship to be quad core and so are waiting until Microsoft will let them release a powerhouse Windows 8 phone.

Soldato
There is far too much space between the top of the screen and the top of the phone for my liking. However its an interesting design, much nicer than some HTC phones of old. Still set on the 920 though, provided it comes to Vodafone.

Way way too much space. It looks awful :confused:

Soldato
OP
Also personally I'm leaning towards getting the 8S, it looks very cool and though the specs are a fair way down, I'm probably just gonna get that now, and then come this time next year when my contract expires take another look at the market.

Soldato
OP
In pure numbers yes, but in quality it goes iPhone>Windows Phone> Android due to the limitations over what can get into the app stores and the degrees to which app manufacturers have to get apps to work on different form factors, hardware specs etc.

Also Windows 8 is getting a much bigger push than Windows Phone 7 did, presumably because Microsoft knew with WP7 they wouldn't be able to push that into being a mainstay of OSs. I'd imagine the app situation is a lot better with the push WP8 is getting. Apps obviously won't catch up in numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if all of the main apps (rather than most of them) are on Windows 8 by Q2 next year.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I'd say Windows Phone apps are of a general higher quality than Android at the minute... they probably will be when more of them are out there but not at the moment.

Soldato
OP
More that the Metro UI and design requirements mean that apps that would be really poorly designed on Android are kind of shoehorned into being a reasonably decent layout. The way that Metro is designed makes the phone feel a lot 'bigger' than it actually is, as you're always on a UI that actually expands over say 1500 pixels horizontally, so it doesn't feel nearly as crammed in on a 3.7" Lumia 800 than on a 3.5/3.7" Android phone. That may just be me on the 'OS feels big' point, but the poorer apps on android are really poor, whereas on WP metro means they always have a decent level of intuitiveness and design consistency.

Soldato
For those wondering why the Zenith hasn't been released, I reckon it's because Microsoft wanted every launch device on an Dual core S4 Krait (as announced in Q2 this year, I think) so that the initial experience is more or less the same for all of them, and HTC might want their proper flagship to be quad core and so are waiting until Microsoft will let them release a powerhouse Windows 8 phone.

I think in some regards you're right but I have a feeling it may be because Microsoft are protecting Nokia so that it retains the flagship crown for now. If HTC were to release a quad core WP8 phone it would undoubtedly grab the attention of enthusiasts (including myself) looking to try out windows phone.

Regardless I think I'll wait until christmas time, I'm happy with my S3 for now but would like to try WP8.

I'd rate Android above iOS for it's UI and ability to customise but the apps on iOS in terms of quality are still the best. The reason I want to try WP8 is that it seems to be a very complete OS. The apps may be far behind either droid/iOS but it appeals to me in some manner.

Man of Honour
It would be nice if ms jumped on the bandwagon and instead each partner release at least one phone with standardized wireless charging that could really make a big impact.

Back
Top Bottom