Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
I just disagree; it's not personal.

Fine, final piece of evidence that a flat tax rate would be idiotic:

Currently the top 10% of all income tax payers in the UK pay about 59% of all income tax. They also pay tax at higher rates than anyone else. That is why they pay so more, but that's also because they earn more than most, of course.

Under a flat tax system they would enjoy substantial - maybe massive - tax cuts.

Those on low incomes would almost certainly pay more because around the world flat tax systems are associated with high National Insurance contributions - that hit the lowest paid hardest.

So flat taxes are really about cutting taxes for the best off, cutting services (like the NHS) massively and requiring payment for their use instead, and increasing tax, overall, for the least well off. That's the reality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22575135

I personally prefer getting those who've been lucky and have more than they need to make life a bit easier for those who haven't.

And you completely missed the point at the same time, bravo on your anecdote.

How? Are you implying that his main point was that care workers are unsung heroes?

lol. That's why he replied to a post about social mobility just to congratulate care workers. :confused:

Thanks for the bravo.

Agree completely! My Wife is pursuing a change of career as a Teaching Assistant, and wants to eventually work in SEN, helping children with Disabilities and Special Educational needs. She will likely be on Minimum wage, part time hours and only pay for 44wks. These people make a real difference to the country, not those who are only keen on lining their own pockets. I have friends who work in the NHS, Fire service and Police force and not one of them done it for a lucrative income. Ask any civil workers about their pension prospects under the current Government.

It seems the Tory agenda has no place for sentiment or unsung heroes. Lets see what happens with the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership under Tory rule and see how many will be flying the blue flag then!

Ok, great. I thank them for their service, but it isn't like they didn't know what they were getting into? Some professions just don't get paid the same as others.

I am not going to buy a Ford Focus and then complain it isn't as fast as a Ferrari because all cars should be equal.

I like this artticle from the guardian

I know it will be scoffed at here but still

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...elfare-cuts-mythical-scroungers-conservatives

A majority gives the Tories a mandate to begin seriously dismantling the welfare state, but Cameron – if not all of his party – will know this carries a political cost. Deliver social security cuts on this scale and many of those who voted for him may be surprised to find that it is they, and not the mythical scroungers and shirkers of Tory demagoguery, who will lose out.

Wealth redistribution is required to make the capitalist system work most efficiently.

Otherwise, you end up with a society which is way too top heavy. Corruption creeps in, social mobility is all but destroyed, and people who have great potential spend a life time making ends meet, rather than being a credit to the nation.

In short, sensible wealth redistribution makes us all richer. Even those who are "net contributors".

I'm not saying all UK redistribution is sensible.

Look at the amount of billionaires now. Corruption sets in? There was none?

All the articles right now are just conjecture. Just wait and see. Why judge a parliament before it has run it's course. Judge it after, at the next general election.

Concern/speculation does not mean it's going to happen. So you can't provide that evidence? Okay.

What do you not understand about the treaty has not been signed yet?

Looking at previous agreements with Canada and actions by American companies in the world give a big indication of what is likely to happen.

You sound like the tobacco executives from the 60's through till 2000+, "no definite, absolute, irrefutable proof", even though they already knew.

No it doesn't - that's a bad flat tax rate.

I suggest you educate yourself with Google Kung Fu. A flat tax rate increases tax income only in countries in which tax evasion and corruption levels are high. A flat tax rate in the UK would decrease tax income because the rich would pay less and the poor would pay the same (overall) as their income would decrease, which would decrease consumption, which would decrease tax income from VAT.

I suggest you educate yourself with Google Kung Fu. A flat tax rate increases tax income only in countries in which tax evasion and corruption levels are high. A flat tax rate in the UK would decrease tax income because the rich would pay less and the poor would pay the same (overall) as their income would decrease, which would decrease consumption, which would decrease tax income from VAT.

Are you suggesting there is no tax evasion or corruption in the UK? HMRC will be pleased ;)

No, I measure how well I am doing by the degree to which I can provide for my family and the quality of life my efforts afford them. Are you going to find fault with that as well?

Yet you would sell off the NHS to save a few quid a week. An institution with the sole purpose of care for those that need it. Including mine and you family regardless of wealth.

This angers me to be honest. Who are you to decide whether I have more than I need? Luck is not the same as working hard and having those efforts recognised financially.

I'm probably not even talking about you! That article linked earlier said 3,000 people earn over £2.7 million a year, paying 4.2% of all income tax. I was just arguing that at the very least we should tax the crap out of these people, far more than the 45% rate (although the disgusting truth is many of them probably pay FAR less with tax avoidance).

That's still a bad flat tax rate.

Michael Fallon as Defence Secretary
Philip Hammond will remain as Foreign Secretary
Theresa May will remain as Home Secretary
George Osborne as Chancellor of the Exchequer and First Secretary of State

Except they won't dismantle the welfare state.

The recent campaigning has been so negative about other parties it is hard to remember what they actually promised themselves.

Exactly. They wouldn't dare. The boy Milliband has has nothing to say but NHS, NHS, NHS. He didn't have a thing to say about anything else except "hard working families" - what families exactly? Does he have a clue what he's even talking about? :confused: I'm so sick and tired of looking at his smug self satisfied face.

You know what Ed? Nows a chance for you to get an actual job, a real job in the private sector that you've never had. Y'know, the same as the ones who voted for the "other party". The people who actually pay the taxes you're so keen to spend.

Back
Top Bottom