• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Don
You sound like a typical tory voter. Not everyone is capable of earning big bucks, so that means they are unsuccessful? Oh please, stop spouting so much ****.

So because some people can't earn "big bucks", the people who can should be penalised?

Also, someone made a comment about what will happen to the low-paid menial jobs under a conservative government - surely the same applies to the high-responsibility jobs under a Labour government - if there is no financial reward, why would you take a high responsibility job.

Soldato
Yeah, hate that mentality. Some people will just never earn big money.

Look at Care Workers. They will never , ever earn big but they are greatly needed. Unsung heroes really.

They work hard in their chosen profession. But it seems a bit silly to then moan or look on with jealousy at those who earn more and then try to take it a step further and penalise those who chose a different career path.

Suspended

Look at Care Workers. They will never , ever earn big but they are greatly needed. Unsung heroes really.

Society decides what value to place in which professions. Do footballers offer more to society than Firemen, Police Officers or Ambulance Staff? No, of course not. That's the way the World is though. Choose you career to make money, or choose a career to fulfil you (or if you are very lucky find a career that offers both), but that choice is yours to make.

Soldato
Another reason I voted Conservative..... and the reason most of the working families who take kids to my son's school \ nursery did too.

The Conservatives say they would double the existing free childcare provision for three and four-year-olds, to 30 hours a week, saving parents £5,000 a year. Families where all parents are working would be entitled.

Caporegime
I earn well below the national average and still voted Conservative, and so did quite a few in my area. Mainly low earners.

The 5% Help To Buy scheme and positive tax changes have helped people setup a life for themselves for once.

Many people in Cornwall are low earners (excluding the ex-pat Londoners ;)), and we're all Tory now... I'm no Tory fan, but as it turned out there was no viable alternative. Labour weren't big here in 2010 anyway, but did themselves no favours by saying they would cancel planned infrastructure projects in the south west (under the guise of making "tough decisions").

The impression I got at least was that the south west wasn't on Labour's list of concerns. Just not interested.

As for the Lib Dems... they've been crushed here like everywhere else, and we used to have massive LD support here. But they fought a pretty negative campaign down here; their leaflets were simply warnings about voting Conservative. Not exactly inspiring.

Soldato
Where have I said they were less successful? If you are going to be outraged, then at least quote me correctly.

This:
A progressive tax system unfairly penalises those who have been successful. I have no interest in my wealth being redistributed thank you very much.

So earning more means you are successful? And those earning less must be unsuccessful? The current tax system we use for wages works pretty well, albeit needing some adjustment in favour of those who still choose to work but earn less than those people who are "successful". The tories wouldn't dare change the tax system any more in favour of the rich than they already have.

Last edited:
Soldato
What this result has emphasised is that England doesn't like Scotland and Scotland doesn't like England.
FITE!!

I think what it emphasises is the SNP have been very successful in making it so.

If there's another referendum is Scotland, there's many in the rest of the country who will pack their bags for them. Not because they want Scotland to leave, but because they can't stomach another 12 moths of Alex on the TV.

Soldato
I don't accept this and I have already explained why.

If you can't afford to raise children properly then don't have them in the first place. I don't see that inequality is an issue, I am fine that I am paid more than 98% of the population but less than the top 2%. Social mobility is too often used as a crutch to explain a lack of drive and ambition.

A progressive tax system unfairly penalises those who have been successful. I have no interest in my wealth being redistributed thank you very much.

What a load of tosh! You don't want your wealth redistributed but you don't mind it when other people's wealth is redistributed to build roads, bridges, schools, hospitals or pay the police force, the army, the doctors and teachers. Who the bloody hell do you think paid for your 12 years of free education and countless other services you received growing up?

Soldato

That's not true. My mum was a care worker, training was offered to her, she went up, became a manager and now she gets headhunted constantly because she is really really good at her job and she earns a good wage because of that. Hard work does pay off, she often puts in 60+ hour weeks as well as raising me and my brother pretty much single-handedly for the last 10 years or so. She has no qualifications, left school at 16 etc.

As a care worker training is offered to staff who are capable, they go on to become seniors and then potentially managers. I also hear the flipside directly from my mum that a lot of the care staff don't give a ****, pull sickies all the time etc. And don't actually 'care'. So yeah some people in care never will go anywhere but that's because they don't care. Those that do, will.

Last edited:
Suspended
What a load of tosh! You don't want your wealth redistributed but you don't mind it when other people's wealth is redistributed to build roads, bridges, schools, hospitals or pay the police force, the army, the doctors and teachers. Who the bloody hell do you think paid for your 12 years of free education and countless other services you received growing up?

The conversation was about the higher paid paying a higher percentage of their salary in tax. Catch up.

Suspended
That's not true. My mum was a care worker, training was offered to her, she went up, became a manager and now she gets headhunted constantly because she is really really good at her job and she earns a good wage because of that. Hard work does pay off, she often puts in 60+ hour weeks as well as raising me and my brother pretty much single-handedly. She has no qualifications, left school at 16 etc.

As a care worker training is offered to staff who are capable, they go on to become seniors and then potentially managers.

Yet another anecdotal example illustrating that it can be done; it just requires effort and application.

Soldato
Yet another anecdotal example illustrating that it can be done; it just requires effort and application.

Yes and I'm not delusional I understand that a lot of what happens to some people is luck and just because someone earns more than another doesn't mean that they necessarily work harder than them. However if you really do try your best and show that you are capable to do and BE more then you will.

Back
Top Bottom