• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Suspended
Yes and I'm not delusional I understand that a lot of what happens to some people is luck and just because someone earns more than another doesn't mean that they necessarily work harder than them. However if you really do try your best and show that you are capable to do and BE more then you will.

Indeed. But several posters here seem to think we're talking in a foreign language. It's worrying.

Soldato
I think they won for the following reasons

pension freedom (people licking their lips at cashing in that pension then demanding the state looks after them after they blow all the money)

Except the tax authorities assume you still have the cash when applying for benefits even if you have blown it.

Soldato
Ahh, I see what you mean.

Is there explanation yet for getting it so wrong?

Always interested in these things...

It was clear that there was still a number of people who were undecided 1 day before the election day (1 in 7 according the BBC) which played a part. In this regard historically it benefits the incumbent government which I pointed out in the older thread. I also thought that the UKIP vote would slip away come election day and would back up the Conservatives which I wrong on as the UKIP vote held up pretty well.

I certainly think the 'Shy Tory' had a part to play, if the Conservatives were heading to a minority government or worse yet 5 years in opposition you would have heard more about internal problems within the Tory ranks which suggests the Conservatives own internal polling knew about people lying to pollsters (nothing quite trolling lefties). Of course this is a lot easier to say in hindsight!

Soldato
The conversation was about the higher paid paying a higher percentage of their salary in tax. Catch up.

I know what the topic of the conversation is. The point was that the handouts you've been getting since being born in the UK (and there are a lot of them) were paid by someone else. A fixed tax rate implies less tax income for the state so less handouts. In other words, you've stuffed your face and now that you're full, you don't like income redistribution anymore. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Soldato
These debates always go off the rails when someone decides to build their argument around their own personal experience.

It creates a debating dead end.

Going to assume that was partly aimed at me, fact is someone just comes in here talking rubbish about something when they clearly don't know, "Nobody can earn great money in care" well that's a blanket statement and I proved him wrong, with one example.

Associate
Yeah, hate that mentality. Some people will just never earn big money.

Look at Care Workers. They will never , ever earn big but they are greatly needed. Unsung heroes really.

Agree completely! My Wife is pursuing a change of career as a Teaching Assistant, and wants to eventually work in SEN, helping children with Disabilities and Special Educational needs. She will likely be on Minimum wage, part time hours and only pay for 44wks. These people make a real difference to the country, not those who are only keen on lining their own pockets. I have friends who work in the NHS, Fire service and Police force and not one of them done it for a lucrative income. Ask any civil workers about their pension prospects under the current Government.

It seems the Tory agenda has no place for sentiment or unsung heroes. Lets see what happens with the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership under Tory rule and see how many will be flying the blue flag then!

Caporegime
Going to assume that was partly aimed at me, fact is someone just comes in here talking rubbish about something when they clearly don't know, "Nobody can earn great money in care" well that's a blanket statement and I proved him wrong, with one example.

And you completely missed the point at the same time, bravo on your anecdote.

Soldato
In other words, you've stuffed your face and now that you're full, you don't like income redistribution anymore. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

It can mean that, or it can mean that you will be taxing the poorer more so that you can tax the rich less.

I'm not really sure why someone would think that's an OK proposal overall, but I can see why someone would want to push it for reasons of self interest.

Soldato
Wealth redistribution is required to make the capitalist system work most efficiently.

Otherwise, you end up with a society which is way too top heavy. Corruption creeps in, social mobility is all but destroyed, and people who have great potential spend a life time making ends meet, rather than being a credit to the nation.

In short, sensible wealth redistribution makes us all richer. Even those who are "net contributors".

I'm not saying all UK redistribution is sensible.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes and I'm not delusional I understand that a lot of what happens to some people is luck and just because someone earns more than another doesn't mean that they necessarily work harder than them. However if you really do try your best and show that you are capable to do and BE more then you will.

Your first statement and the last do not match. If you had said "then you may" or "then you will have a better chance" you would have been right.

Suspended
I know what the topic of the conversation is. The point was that the handouts you've been getting since being born in the UK (and there are a lot of them) were paid by someone else. A fixed tax rate implies less tax income for the state so less handouts. In other words, you've stuffed your face and now that you're full, you don't like income redistribution anymore. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Firstly, while born in the UK I didn't live here until I was 9 years old. Secondly, I've paid tax continuously for the last 25 years. I have never claimed any benefits of any kind. Any 'benefits' afforded me by society have been repaid several times over.

Back
Top Bottom