• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Associate
A choice between an Eaton educated, inherited wealth, rareified elite member of the Bullingdon club who spent his time at Oxford mocking ordinary people, against a North London Comprehensive school pupil, who spent his time at Oxford campaigning against homelessness, huge rent hikes, against discrimination and in favour of social justice and people chose the former.

People had a chance to vote for at least maintaining the vestiges of social cohesion, humanity and fairness in their society. They haven't done so mainly due to a systemic media campaign of misinformation, misrepresentation, and scaremongering with the BBC leading the charge. Questions about the media coverage of this election need to be raised but they won't be.

Soldato
I don't feel people understand that having a solid welfare safety net not only protects the most vulnerable but also adds a layer of protection between classes.

Associate
No, i'd of gone and worked at McDonald's if I had to. I don't mind paying tax, my issue lies that my own success means I have to pay a disproportionately larger amount. Tax should be a flat rate for everyone, so if you earn £10 an hour or £1000 you pay the same percentage.

That is idealistic and not sustainable though, without making big cuts to other areas of the Treasury. I for one don't think it is fair that higher paid workers have to pay such a bigger increase in taxes, but it's the right solution.

Soldato
People are so disillusioned when it comes to welfare, do people actually realize in the grand scheme of things how little the welfare bill is for the total amount of long term unemployed?, people are always talking about these "scroungers" but do you honestly think if we wiped that bill out things would be any different right now? The media (and government to a certain extent) seem to have done a good job at making us believe the poorest and most vulnerable in society are to blame for most of our problems, if your paying £20,000 tax a year how much of that do you actually believe is going to a scrounger?

We have been here before but the taxpayers don't care, they need someone to vilify regardless of whether they cost 0.3% of the tax bill.

Permabanned
People are so disillusioned when it comes to welfare, do people actually realize in the grand scheme of things how little the welfare bill is for the total amount of long term unemployed?, people are always talking about these "scroungers" but do you honestly think if we wiped that bill out things would be any different right now? The media (and government to a certain extent) seem to have done a good job at making us believe the poorest and most vulnerable in society are to blame for most of our problems, if your paying £20,000 tax a year how much of that do you actually believe is going to a scrounger?

+1 the biggest drain on welfare is pensions and our ageing population, but the Tories won't touch pensions or pensioner benefits! Means testing should be brought in on all retirement benefits immediately

Associate
A choice between an Eaton educated, inherited wealth, rareified elite member of the Bullingdon club who spent his time at Oxford mocking ordinary people, against a North London Comprehensive school pupil, who spent his time at Oxford campaigning against homelessness, huge rent hikes, against discrimination and in favour of social justice and people chose the former.

People had a chance to vote for at least maintaining the vestiges of social cohesion, humanity and fairness in their society. They haven't done so mainly due to a systemic media campaign of misinformation, misrepresentation, and scaremongering with the BBC leading the charge. Questions about the media coverage of this election need to be raised but they won't be.

This.

Caporegime

Public-spending-on-Benefi-001.jpg

dont think that includes the council tax though.

but housing benefit alone would be double the money they say the nhs needs every year.

Caporegime

out of curiosity do you want your child to go to the best school or a ****** school?

and would you be happy with people judging your child for the school they went to?

Public-spending-on-Benefi-001.jpg

dont think that includes the council tax though.

but housing benefit alone would be double the money they say the nhs needs every year.

Some of those bubbles need to be broken down more tbh, I said long term unemployed, a lot of housing benefits go to working people for example which does need to be addressed, more social housing is needed which would also bring down the cost of private rents and help lighten the HB bill.

Last edited:
Soldato
So 0.004% of the population paying 4.2% of the total income tax isn't enough? Sounds like they already pay plenty.

As it is, they (those who earn over £2.7 million per year) probably pay a minimum £1.25 million in tax and NI (well, they probably have some clever, legal, schemes to offset some of that).

My tax bill of £15k last year was enough hurt for me. I can imagine it hurting a fair bit more looking at over £1 million in tax on your P60.

They need to scrap income tax and replace it with an employment tax, exactly in line with the current tax bands. The your company pays a tax to employ you and that rate is based on the salary they award.

As the company will be paying it and the employee never sees it on their wage slips, they can't get butt hurt like people on more than double the average wage like the poster above, and the treasury still gets the same amount.

V F

V F

Soldato

Man of Honour
Pensions needs a slow move away from spending tax income, into actually investing it. This can't happen over night though and would take many decades.

Soldato
So 0.004% of the population paying 4.2% of the total income tax isn't enough? Sounds like they already pay plenty.

As it is, they (those who earn over £2.7 million per year) probably pay a minimum £1.25 million in tax and NI (well, they probably have some clever, legal, schemes to offset some of that).

My tax bill of £15k last year was enough hurt for me. I can imagine it hurting a fair bit more looking at over £1 million in tax on your P60.
The well off pay more tax because they have more of the income, yes it's wrong that a tiny percentage pay a large portion of the tax - because it's also wrong that a tiny percentage have such a large portion of the total income.

You can't look at one & ignore the other, if I managed to create a system in which I hoarded 90% of the total income in the UK, I'd pay a vast majority of the total tax in the UK. Would that be unfair?, or a result of an unbalanced income distribution?.

out of curiosity do you want your child to go to the best school or a ****** school?

and would you be happy with people judging your child for the school they went to?
Why are you selected only one aspect of his character to argue against?, in isolation it would be unreasonable - but when it's combined with other factors related to extreme privilege (both educational & economic) it does create a picture.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The answer depends upon whether they are net tax contributors or a tax drain when mature surely?

What's the UK unemployment rate about 6%?

Yea you can work and still be a tax drain but it's not really their fault inequality is so bad or that a government subsidises a companies wages

anyway a country needs a growing population all you end up like japan

more people dying each year than are being born.
Japan's population continues to shrink, and perhaps at a faster rate than expected. Last year, the estimated number of newborn babies slumped to 1,001,000, an all-time low for the fourth straight year, according to recently released data by the country's Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry. Local reports indicate that the number of newborns could fall below one million once the data is revised. The estimated number of people who died in 2014 totaled 1.269 million, rising for the fifth year in a row.
People over 65 and above are predicted to make up 40 percent of the total Japanese population by 2060. The recent figures are reason for concern for policymakers who seek to ensure that a dwindling pool of workers can support a growing number of pensioners.

If people in the UK who couldn't afford kids didn't have kids I think there would be a large problem in a few generations

lowrider007 said:
Some of those bubbles need to be broken down more tbh, I said long term unemployed, a lot of housing benefits go to working people for example which does need to be addressed, more social housing is needed which would also bring down the cost of private rents and help lighten the HB bill.
weren't the conservatives in favour of the right to buy scheme covering social housing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom