• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I haven't read this thread - it's too long!
So disappointed with it all to be honest. I voted UKIP. Over 4 million votes equates to just 1 seat?! Perhaps I'm too young or un-educated, but I don't understand at all! Doesn't seem fair in the slightest. Almost makes my single vote a complete waste.

UKIP got 13% of the vote and the SNP got 5%... and 56 seats as opposed to 1.

Yep, thats what FPTP is all about. If you want to see something different you need Proportional Representation or one of the other systems. And since no-one in Westminster wants to see 13% of MP's as UKIP things aren't likely to change anytime soon.

Welcome to UK politics!

Sgarrista
Commissario
So is Labour now virtually unelectable whilst Scotland remain in the UK?

Basically yes, with the SNP looming a every election it essentially forces people to vote for the 2 big guns, and with Labour so far behind, people wont want to risk an SNP coalition so will stick with Tory.

I think we will be locked into a Tory government for many elections to come.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was working in a council house property today, and the bone idle tenants were discussing how their lives are over because the Tories are going to take the benefits away.

Good.....is what I thought.

Soldato
Basically yes, with the SNP looming a every election it essentially forces people to vote for the 2 big guns, and with Labour so far behind, people wont want to risk an SNP coalition so will stick with Tory.

Good news as it means we have a govt that can play the long game.

Soldato
Alan Johnson about why Labour lost:

When that Question Time audience turned on Ed Miliband, the die was cast

http://gu.com/p/488pp

Also, no. He won't be standing for the leadership. I guess he's right - his time is past. A shame really as I expect he'd have done the job well.

Soldato

What you will find is this:

The Tories will vote through the electoral boundary changes that get rid of some the anomalous areas and undo some of the gerrymandering done under the last labour administration ( they tried to this through last term but couldn't do it as the lib dem support collapsed).
This will level the playing field slightly and make it even harder for labour to win enough seats to win an election without a huge swing in support regardless of what happens with the SNP.

Back
Top Bottom