• Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
I think theres been a brain drain for awhile in the UK, as prospects socially have continued to diminish and the society itself become increasingly rhetoric driven and rabid.

I for one wish to try my hand at Canada (regardless of that tit Harper), and know of a few in Uni that don't like the state of Scotland/UK in general.

When the UK focuses on actually giving science funding, ill give a crap...pathetic as of now, forced to live off of EU grants.

Soldato
The majority of people in a deprived area actually work for a living.

They might be barely breaking minimum wage, might be getting work related benefits because of this.

Ofcourse they aren't going to vote tory but it doesn't make them scum.

My parents live in an ex council house on what's still a council estate for the most part.

both worked all their lives, I never had free school meals or anything like that but we were still poor.

why would anyone in a similar situation vote conservative?

Where I live now is a deprived areas bizarrely enough the majority of cars on the street over night disappear during the daytime and the bus stop across the road looks really busy at 8-9pm

I think they all go to work probably 0 hour contracts with no job security and crap pay but they are trying to be good citizens and a benefit to society.

If they are not net contributors then it is the government who has failed them by favouring big business so much and subsidising those companies by paying working tax credits and housing benefit payments.

What are the conservatives doing for people like that to make them not vote labour?

Get off your high horse :rolleyes:

Much higher % of people in so called "deprived" areas are "long term unemployed"

My Father lives in an ex council house... so what?

I was one of three children with a working Father and a part time mother as we got older. We all got on 2 buses to go to the only supermarket in the area 3 miles away and when my family finally afforded a car (Audi K70 prototype check it out) there were no parent/hildren spaces at the supermarket. :eek:

I grew up on a terraced street in Yorkshire in a 2 bed with an old outhouse loo and both my parents voted Tory as they always considered they supported their own kids and paid their own way and were proud of looking to the future.

I can't be bothered to read any more of your tripe, so I'll stop here...

Good night.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure 17,000 out of its 20,000 workers on 0 hour contracts aren't earning 2k a month
oh dispatches did a docu about them

Sounds marvelous and from the 218 page thread at thestudentroom forum they pay minimum wage, you have to buy your own uniform and preferably wear trainers sports direct sell.

0 hour contracts, minimum wage and the likely hood you will never own your own house since prices are rising what was it 5 times faster than wages?
Great to be poor and under tory rule I bet.

I worked zero-hours for a few years as a student at a different place. Frisking at the end of shifts was common, and some people really struggled to get shifts.

Frisking was common because there were so many thieves. Not getting regular hours didn't happen to those with a high work ethic. I had it much better than friends in part time, non-zero hours, jobs elsewhere.

Its not all bad.

Caporegime
SlugInAButt said:
oh yea I'm on a high horse for saying a large portion of the poor aren't "benefit scum"

What wizardry is this? are you attempted to beat me with a stick from your high horse for stepping out of line sir?
sorry for speaking up on behalf of the poor sir, won't do it again sir

Judgeneo said:
Not getting regular hours didn't happen to those with a high work ethic.
Bet they wouldn't get offered a part/full time job instead of their 0 hour contract though.
or the system wouldn't be such a bad thing.

can't expect employers not to take advantage of it imo

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't think that everyone who voted for the conservatives thinks they are amazing, I think quite a lot of people just think that labour are ****. I don't have anything particularly against milliband but the general policies labour promote are not good for the long term health of this country.

Soldato
I don't think that everyone who voted for the conservatives thinks they are amazing, I think quite a lot of people just think that labour are ****. I don't have anything particularly against milliband but the general policies labour promote are not good for the long term health of this country.

Neither is austerity, which limits growth and harms economic recovery.

Soldato
Bet they wouldn't get offered a part/full time job instead of their 0 hour contract though.
or the system wouldn't be such a bad thing.

can't expect employers not to take advantage of it imo

If you progressed into the more senior positions then you would get guaranteed hours.

I friend of mine was long term unemployed from 18 to 22, originally due to a medical condition, and then because of an empty CV. He was shunned from every job he applied to. He eventually got a zero-hours post and moved onto a guaranteed hours contract very quickly because he is a good worker

I'm sure there are bad employers, but I don't think that the contracts are the problem in and of themselves.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Neither is austerity, which limits growth and harms economic recovery.

If it was as cut and dry as that no one would do it. You can argue all you want that the way out of our current situation is to spend but for every economist that believes in spending another believes in austerity.

Its also not that simple. You don't make cuts across the board.

I have 0 faith in the labour way which is to spend spend spend and that every issue can be fixed with more money.

Soldato
With all the comments on benefits I'll share a post by a friend of a friend on FB.

Labour had this country close to being broke, the torys on the other hand have led this country to the best state it's been in for a long time. Plus the reason they got my vote is for the way they are trying to reform the benefits system so it's helps those who truly need it not those who just prefer it.

Apparently this character doesn't include himself as one of "those who just prefer it" despite having to have a gastric bypass because he was 30+ stone and preferred to stuff his gob with obscene amounts of food and alcohol.

Caporegime
I don't think that everyone who voted for the conservatives thinks they are amazing, I think quite a lot of people just think that labour are ****. I don't have anything particularly against milliband but the general policies labour promote are not good for the long term health of this.

Except that is widely disproven myth ruled out by historic economic analysis,

Conversely the quester up measures of the Conservatives have been proven to have delayed the recovered, slowed growth and cost billions.

Caporegime
If it was as cut and dry as that no one would do it. You can argue all you want that the way out of our current situation is to spend but for every economist that believes in spending another believes in austerity..

False, a majority of economists doidnt believe austerity would be beneficial for the UK.

Soldato
And please let's all just finish the night with Liam Byrne (Labour secretary to Treasury) who just left a little note on the desk of his Con/Lib successor which simply read "THERE'S NO MONEY LEFT"
Thank god there;s an alternative to Labour.

Man of Honour
If you progressed into the more senior positions then you would get guaranteed hours.

I friend of mine was long term unemployed from 18 to 22, originally due to a medical condition, and then because of an empty CV. He was shunned from every job he applied to. He eventually got a zero-hours post and moved onto a guaranteed hours contract very quickly because he is a good worker

I'm sure there are bad employers, but I don't think that the contracts are the problem in and of themselves.

The contracts themselves aren't the issue (and can be a useful tool when used as intended) but a lot of employers are moving towards more flexible contracts which work more in their favour than their employees and that does have an impact especially when zero hour contracts make up a good number of their positions.

Somewhere I used to work for many years back and is one of the biggest employers for that area used to have almost 300 essentially full time or close to full time positions and less than 100 properly part time (mostly 8-20 hours) now only management are on full time contracts and most on flexible/<20 hours or zero hour contracts with no guarantee even though they might be averaging 30 hours or more - which means there has been a huge loss in that area of employment that people can actually reliably live off properly.

Its increasingly become the story for a lot of people at the lower end of the scale.

EDIT: On the flipside just noticed another employer there has put up a load of openings at 39.5 hours/minimum wage :S so far from a cut and dried story.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Labour had this country close to being broke, the torys on the other hand have led this country to the best state it's been in for a long time. Plus the reason they got my vote is for the way they are trying to reform the benefits system so it's helps those who truly need it not those who just prefer it.

Apparently labour started the world into a recession by collapsing the Lehman Brothers.

The torys come to power as the world has started to recover from a financial collapse and take all the credit for reducing unemployment etc when it would have happened regardless of what their policies were.

was austerity really needed? is it really needed now? the economy was going to recover as the economy ended either way

It wasn't labours fault they didn't run the country into the ground.

same crap would have happened to anyone in power at that time, it wasn't a collapse only happening in the UK
When charted in pounds sterling, in Chart 4.01, the National Debt looks huge. Looking back over the last century, the debt back in 1900 doesn’t really register.
IpnxJm9.png

But by charting debt as a percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in Chart 2, you get a look at government debt compared to the size of the economy at the time.

Chart 4.02 tells, in stark detail, the story of the British Empire. It was built on the National Debt.
NdDaqJ0.png

That chart goes all the way to 2015 btw
Source
http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/debt_brief.php

L2jGjq8.png
The real risk from government debt is the burden of interest payments. Experts say that when interest payments reach about 12% of GDP then a government will likely default on its debt. Chart 5 shows that the UK is a long way from that risk.

Even if labour reduced the debt to 0 during their time.
Would we be any better off? graphs doesnt make it seem that way and it doesn't look like the country would have had much savings before the collapse even if they did anyway so we would essentially be in the same position regardless of their spending?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Labours financial policies IMO are reckless as likely to be massively successful as they are to screw every thing.

Conservatives have been feeling their way (not without some wrong turns) much slower and while it might have held things back in the short term I think its been the right approach (or atleast far from a bad approach) for the prevailing situation over the last 5-6 years, whether its the right approach for the future another matter.

Caporegime
The contracts themselves aren't the issue (and can be a useful tool when used as intended) but a lot of employers are moving towards more flexible contracts which work more in their favour than their employees and that does have an impact especially when zero hour contracts make up a good number of their positions.

Somewhere I used to work for many years back and is one of the biggest employers for that area used to have almost 300 essentially full time or close to full time positions and less than 100 properly part time (mostly 8-20 hours) now only management are on full time contracts and most on flexible/<20 hours or zero hour contracts with no guarantee even though they might be averaging 30 hours or more - which means there has been a huge loss in that area of employment that people can actually reliably live off properly.

Its increasingly become the story for a lot of people at the lower end of the scale.

EDIT: On the flipside just noticed another employer there has put up a load of openings at 39.5 hours/minimum wage :S so far from a cut and dried story.

The Tories will have to deal with this as i imagine a lot of their new vote is young people who think their secure, but aren't.

Caporegime
Labours financial policies IMO are reckless as likely to be massively successful as they are to screw every thing.

Conservatives have been feeling their way (not without some wrong turns) much slower and while it might have held things back in the short term I think its been the right approach (or atleast far from a bad approach) for the prevailing situation over the last 5-6 years, whether its the right approach for the future another matter.

yes there is a tendency for people to jump on a cautious approach after the fact as being too cautious or slow, but its much better to have picked your way through safely than rushed and ****ed it up spectacularly.

in hindsight when youi know the path its easy to how it could have been done quicker.

Caporegime
The Tories will have to deal with this as i imagine a lot of their new vote is young people who think their secure, but aren't.

you know something hats interesting, fixed contracts/hours are considered sexist.

because women tend to work part time more than men. we had our "dignity at work course" where the feminazi running it basically said if a job is full time its discriminatory to women..

Back
Top Bottom