Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Alan Johnson about why Labour lost:

When that Question Time audience turned on Ed Miliband, the die was cast

http://gu.com/p/488pp

Also, no. He won't be standing for the leadership. I guess he's right - his time is past. A shame really as I expect he'd have done the job well.

We did have a great manifesto honest, just represented by a useless bunch of ******s who didnt have a clue how to communicate it to the public.

Yes Alan, we've been telling you that since your party chose them to be their public face but you didn't seem too bothered about it.
Only labour can stop the SNP, apart from the fact they just didn't and have been steamrollered into obscurity north of the border by them.
Only labour can offer progressive politics, despite offering no evidence and no history of this being the case.
Sounds ideal labour leader material.

Last edited:
Associate
Perhaps I should be happy that part of the Tory Manifesto was to reignite one of Thatchers gems and offer Social Housing association homes for right to buy, with a substantial discount. Of course, owning our own home would be a big benefit for us, and seeing as we are both working and earning reasonably well would be foolish not to take an offer like this, should it ever materialise.

I have always voted Labour because I was brought up in a working class community, but now I might just have a chance that Labour never afforded me, even though I have always worked. It fit's my personal agenda, but from a moral standpoint it does not suit those who are worse off than me, through no fault of their own, and for me, that is what matters.

I often ask myself how many people look at voting as a means to satisfy their own pockets, without thinking how their actions affect others lives.

Caporegime
Perhaps I should be happy that part of the Tory Manifesto was to reignite one of Thatchers gems and offer Social Housing association homes for right to buy, with a substantial discount. Of course, owning our own home would be a big benefit for us, and seeing as we are both working and earning reasonably well would be foolish not to take an offer like this, should it ever materialise.

I have always voted Labour because I was brought up in a working class community, but now I might just have a chance that Labour never afforded me, even though I have always worked. It fit's my personal agenda, but from a moral standpoint it does not suit those who are worse off than me, through no fault of their own, and for me, that is what matters.

I often ask myself how many people look at voting as a means to satisfy their own pockets, without thinking how their actions affect others lives.

you pretty much epitomize Britain with that attitude.. As Long as you can own some property its all dandy.

Its a bloody weird view on life that you only begin to not appreciate when you stop living there.

Associate
you pretty much epitomize Britain with that attitude.. As Long as you can own some property its all dandy.

Its a bloody weird view on life that you only begin to not appreciate when you stop living there.

I can't say you are wrong, but I see it as an opportunity that I should not forsake. I have good friends that see it exactly as you do, and they left the U.k and abandoned their lucrative jobs to set up a dive school and lodge complex in Mozambique, they will never be rich by U.K standards, but they are happy diving with Humpback whales, as opposed to being drained by the system over here.

Soldato
And I'd say the same of you.
He makes a valid point, why do you think most inner cities and "deprived" areas vote Labour?
A new housing estate has been built (very nice houses too) half a mile down the road from me, they are all social (council) housing and they exclusively have Labour posters in the windows. I know a few of the occupants and not many of them will be voting in their life. But they know which side their bread is buttered on.

Inner city doesn't necessarily mean deprived though. Labour held onto Westminster North, Hampstead and Kilburn, Holborn and St Pancras, Hammersmith, Tooting, and Islington South and Finsbury. All very expensive areas which didn't see the swing to UKIP that other Labour constituencies saw.

As I said, this is Labour's problem now - it needs to appeal to both it's traditional working class supporters and the New Labour-types. It's been mostly the working class voters who have been deserting them.

Caporegime
And I'd say the same of you.
He makes a valid point, why do you think most inner cities and "deprived" areas vote Labour?
A new housing estate has been built (very nice houses too) half a mile down the road from me, they are all social (council) housing and they exclusively have Labour posters in the windows. I know a few of the occupants and not many of them will be voting in their life. But they know which side their bread is buttered on.

The majority of people in a deprived area actually work for a living.

They might be barely breaking minimum wage, might be getting work related benefits because of this.

Ofcourse they aren't going to vote tory but it doesn't make them scum.

My parents live in an ex council house on what's still a council estate for the most part.

both worked all their lives, I never had free school meals or anything like that but we were still poor.

why would anyone in a similar situation vote conservative?

Where I live now is a deprived areas bizarrely enough the majority of cars on the street over night disappear during the daytime and the bus stop across the road looks really busy at 8-9pm

I think they all go to work probably 0 hour contracts with no job security and crap pay but they are trying to be good citizens and a benefit to society.

If they are not net contributors then it is the government who has failed them by favouring big business so much and subsidising those companies by paying working tax credits and housing benefit payments.

What are the conservatives doing for people like that to make them not vote labour?

Soldato
If youre working and on min wage or under, the torys help you in working credit and the amount earned before being taxed..

Labour did not talk about the help they would give working class families, they talked about helping the poor and everyone else doesnt matter..

Fail..

Caporegime
If youre working and on min wage or under, the torys help you in working credit and the amount earned before being taxed..

Labour did not talk about the help they would give working class families, they talked about helping the poor and everyone else doesnt matter..

Fail..

this says it all
Election 2015: Sports Direct share price up 4 per cent after zero-hours relief on Conservative win

12bn in benefit cuts coming..
won't be the scum they get tough with it will be the disabled, mentally ill and people claiming work related benefits.

the alcholics and druggies will still get their disability benefits no doubt since otherwise they turn to crime or beat people up at the job centre/atos.

The silent ones will be the ones feeling the cuts.

Last edited:
Caporegime

If you're both earning reasonably well why are you in social housing I thought it was for people who weren't earning well

Caporegime
What makes me laugh is that on Facebook, the people that are most upset about the result (the ones that keep spouting the tiresome rhetoric about how everyone is a **** for voting Tory and how everyone must hate the poor, disabled etc) are the people on my Facebook that I would consider the most selfish and insular.

Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess : /

Soldato
this says it all

12bn in benefit cuts coming..
won't be the scum they get tough with it will be the disabled, mentally ill and people claiming work related benefits.

the alcholics and druggies will still get their disability benefits no doubt since otherwise they turn to crime or beat people up at the job centre/atos.

The silent ones will be the ones feeling the cuts.

Anecdotal evidence I know but when I was out on the street stall for my newly elected Tory, I got talking to a Sport Direct worker. He absolutely loved his zero hours contract. As he put it, "Where else can I earn £2k a month?"

When my sister worked at McDonalds after leaving school she had more hours a week than I did on a fixed time contract.

Caporegime
If you're both earning reasonably well why are you in social housing I thought it was for people who weren't earning well

won't be any social housing for these people in a decade or so with the right to buy.

look what happened with council housing.

it's clear why the conservatives would implement this and it's not for the benefit of the poor.

long game those houses will be owned by people renting them out for a nice profit

Caporegime
Anecdotal evidence I know but when I was out on the street stall for my newly elected Tory, I got talking to a Sport Direct worker. He absolutely loved his zero hours contract. As he put it, "Where else can I earn £2k a month?"

When my sister worked at McDonalds after leaving school she had more hours a week than I did on a fixed time contract.

BUT ZERO HOUR CONTRACTS ARE BAD AND THE PRODUCT OF THE TORY EATON POSH BOYS TRYING TO MAKE THEMSELVES RICHER!!!!??!

Caporegime
I'm pretty sure 17,000 out of its 20,000 workers on 0 hour contracts aren't earning 2k a month
oh dispatches did a docu about them
Workers told the documentary that they live in fear of being fired at any moment and that security is so tight they are frisked at the end of every shift.

One unnamed employee said: ‘There’s no happy environment – it’s all miserable, they just want you work faster and faster’, while another added: ‘You work under the impression that you can lose your job from day-to-day.’
Sounds marvelous and from the 218 page thread at thestudentroom forum they pay minimum wage, you have to buy your own uniform and preferably wear trainers sports direct sell.

0 hour contracts, minimum wage and the likely hood you will never own your own house since prices are rising what was it 5 times faster than wages?
Great to be poor and under tory rule I bet.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure 17,000 out of its 20,000 workers on 0 hour contracts aren't earning 2k a month

I'm sure they're not. But they did, of their own volition, enter into an employment contract which would have set out the terms and conditions. If they want more hours get another zero hours contract elsewhere, legally nothing stopping them now.

Man of Honour

On the flipside I know a few on zero hours at McDonalds, etc. and don't reliably get many hours. They are potentially a useful tool but increasingly being taken advantage of.

I'm sure they're not. But they did, of their own volition, enter into an employment contract which would have set out the terms and conditions. If they want more hours get another zero hours contract elsewhere, legally nothing stopping them now.

Still doesn't guarantee any level of actual income and no way to live your life in the long term and its easy to say they knew what they were getting into but increasingly those on the lower end of the scale don't have a lot of alternative choices.

Last edited:
Caporegime

terms and conditions skewed unfavourably towards the employer? since that's what 0 hour contracts are all about.

Why would you bother with temp or full time when you can just hire a bunch of 0 hour people you can let go whenever you feel like it.
Zero hours contracts normally mean there is no obligation for employers to offer work, or for workers to accept it.
And we all know what that really means for the employee.

Back
Top Bottom