Votes: 67 5.1%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
We'd certainly take a hit, with entities as big as HSBC already making continuity plans to move to the continent in the event of an "out" vote.

This argument literally makes no sense. Are you honestly trying to say that HSBC are looking to move back to Hong Kong because we might leave the EU?

HSBC are talking of getting out of the UK because of bank levies and the possibility of it going higher under Labour. HSBC's financial interests in the EU are small.

If?

I'm not leaving the future of generations down to an if. This was my main arguments against Scottish independence.

We can't have the benefits of the EU without the obligations. Why would the member states agree to that?

Everything comes to do an 'If' since no one knows what tomorrow brings.

If the only argument against Scotland leaving the UK was 'what if..' then that would be no argument at all. Thankfully there is more to it than that.

As for the benefits: What benefits? The trade tariff for most countries exporting the EU is hardly insurmountable. And as others have explained, we've a trade deficit with the EU. Tariffs would help us more than them!

You can just tell by how little foreign news sources care about the election, how small and insignificant this country has become. This small minded apathy surely can't continue with all the warning signs the major parties have had?

Voted Libdem locally and didn't vote nationally, well no vote that would actually matter. Locally Libdems are the best option for me. Either that or a conservative living in London who has posed for a few pictures doing stuff locally.

Amazing shows how many people who use OCUK have no sense of the reality of most peoples everyday lives.

Whatever happens the only thing I am confident of is that we will no longer have conservatives in government; thank god for that :)

And if you're wrong?:confused::p

Well I'm wrong but I don't see how it is numerically possible even if you believe the polls which put the tories on the furthest lead.

That also makes no sense. The world isn't what it used to be, such companies which export to the EU, can easily up and move to EU. Making it even more reason for EU not to placate us.
We've already had plenty of EU buy outs of high tech UK companies which have then shut down uk production and moved it abroad. Partly due to the £ being so strong.

No the world isn't what it used to be, but it still doesn't explain why Britain cannot be a prosperous nation outside of the European union. How do so many countries in the world achieve this but we cannot?

Any farmers on here? Just curious how they feel about the prospect of leaving the EU if the tories get back in (who most of them seem to vote for - at least in my local area).

Leaving the Eu would be bad for the economy in the medium term until we could build up new trade agreements and alter our economy sufficiently. Maybe 10 years with a good government. However is it a price worth paying given the social benefits of not having ridiculous immigration? After all we're not running the "give an eastern European a job" charity are we?

My personal objection is that my ancestors have worked hard for centuries to build Britain up to what it is now and it's complete BS that any unskilled person from Poland can get a £30 flight over, sign up with an agency and get the benefits of that hard work while we still have 5% unemployment who are all capable of doing these unskilled jobs.

Immigration should be a temporary measure for high skilled jobs like doctors etc until we can train enough of our own through a decent education policy.

Last edited:
Amazing shows how many people who use OCUK have no sense of the reality of most peoples everyday lives.

Whatever happens the only thing I am confident of is that we will no longer have conservatives in government; thank god for that :)

Labour have no sense of my everyday life (whatever that means).

Back
Top Bottom