Votes: 67 5.1%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • UKIP

Votes: 158 12.0%

• Total voters
For weeks we have had flyers through the door with 'don't lose your local MP vote x or y'.

So we go to the polling station today expecting one ballot for local and one for national, we only got one and it only had our local mp names and parties on, when we asked about the general one, we were told that's it.

Now maybe I don't fully understand how it works, but it would be nice if someone had explained it properly seeing as the BBC were telling people to excpect 2 ballot papers.

For weeks we have had flyers through the door with 'don't lose your local MP vote x or y'.

So we go to the polling station today expecting one ballot for local and one for national, we only got one and it only had our local mp names and parties on, when we asked about the general one, we were told that's it.

Now maybe I don't fully understand how it works, but it would be nice if someone had explained it properly seeing as the BBC were telling people to excpect 2 ballot papers.

You vote for your local MP, these local MP's make up the houses of Parliament and the party with the most MP's, or who can join with the most MP's in a coaltion greater than 50% of the house makes the government. The leader of this party becomes the PM.

On the comments about voter share I agree it seems unfair that UKIP will recieve so little representation when they are the 3rd most popular party but we suposedly voting for a representative not a Government.

I would vote for any party that brought in an absolute majority voting system whereby the 2 most popular candidates had run off election if no one recieved +50%. Open primaries for candidates of all parties that polled over 10% at the previous first round election in that constituency. And an absolute right of recall if a suitable threshold is passed. I reckon that would be a start to breaking the era of payroll Government we have wandered into.

Last edited:
Just got back from casting my vote for Nige.

Weird thing though, I handed over my Polling Card to the person behind the desk and the bloke sat next to her, who was crossing the names of the list, said "Long time no see fella". Took a few seconds, then suddenly it hit me. It was one of my oldest friends, a guy I've known for over 30 years, but lost contact with when he moved away from the area.

You obviously didn't have a council election today as you did it two years ago. You did vote for your local MP

It amazes me people can grow up not understanding the political system, it's not hard they teach it in school as well

Ok, no need to apologise.
I find it more than childish that people continue to express their political views without even bothering to vote even if there's no-one who mirrors their opinions.
Make the effort to vote (spoil/NA etc.) first then post in the 'I voted thread'.

So if I'd gone and just randomly voted for someone/anyone my opinion would have been valid?

If you'd actually read my post (and which I've now done) you'd have seen that I said I was probably going to do that when other people were in from work to go down together even though I largely consider it mostly a waste of time.

If there was a party that covered a number of key concerns for me I'd vote for them in a heartbeat but most of the major parties have atleast one aspect that means I absolutely could not support them and a throw away vote on most of the fringe options without thinking it through would likely have played into Labours hands who I definitely don't want in power - sadly (though no idea if I'd actually vote for them anyway) hadn't seen DUP had effectively distanced themselves from a coalition with Labour late yesterday as they have strong views on several areas that are important to me. (EDIT: Didn't see an option for them anyhow though I wasn't really paying attention).

Last edited:

Not everyone gets 2.

Depends on whether locals are due to run where you are. It's a weird system isnt it.

You have to assume the one paper you did was for the Generals and your locals will run another time.

This is what wrong with politics are people like you. Not willing to vote and not willing to do anything else either.

What is wrong with politics is empty promises, no accountability, a crap election system that renders many (if not most) votes completely worthless and an increasingly detached bunch of career politicians interested only in their own success.

People that would prefer to vote 'none of the above' as a result are not the problem, just a symptom.

Good for you if you're happy voting for the least bad option every time but not everyone wants to put their support behind someone they don't believe in just because they feel they should and there's no one better, which is an entirely valid viewpoint IMO.

What is wrong with politics is empty promises, no accountability, a crap election system that renders many (if not most) votes completely worthless and an increasingly detached bunch of career politicians interested only in their own success.

People that would prefer to vote 'none of the above' as a result are not the problem, just a symptom.

Good for you if you're happy voting for the least bad option every time but not everyone wants to put their support behind someone they don't believe in just because they feel they should and there's no one better, which is an entirely valid viewpoint IMO.

That is one thing that has really annoyed me about this election - even more so than any I remember in the past - if I voted for the option I think would be least bad for the country it actually plays into the hands of the party I think would be one of the worst options :| which would leave me having to tactically vote for a part that I also don't support on several levels just to try and make sure the worst option didn't happen.

Not everyone gets 2.

Depends on whether locals are due to run where you are. It's a weird system isnt it.

You have to assume the one paper you did was for the Generals and your locals will run another time.

Why even put the local MP names on there, why not just list the party? Or is that a tactic for them to get you to vote for names you recognise?

Why even put the local MP names on there, why not just list the party? Or is that a tactic for them to get you to vote for names you recognise?

You need to know who you are voting for
Because some people vote for the person or put more importance on the local area.
Meaning you might ignore the outcome of the general election and vote in an mp from another party that has been very good in your area.
On the other hand you may think the person representing the party you want to vote for is a vile excuse of a human being and thus vote elsewhere.
Or you can look up how they have voted in the passed and might choose to support or not support them based on that.
Etc,

Last edited:

The local MP is the person you are voting for to win a seat. They will represent you and your area in the House of Commons.

You aren't voting for David Cameron or Ed Miliband, they simply take the reigns if enough of their party members win seats.

You have voted in the General Election, for the Local MP to represent you. You haven't voted in a Local Election for your City/Borough Councillors.

That's basically it.

On my paper it even says where they kinda live.

For many places, you'll recognise a name and can actually contact them about different issues and they will respond. (Local)

On my papers... I voted for Conservative in the generals.

I voted Labour in the locals (Borough council) because ours is very good. They know how to spend money properly even under a Conservative government. They sort of remain forever there.

The Tory candidate lived in an entirely different county, it even said it on the paper, so no way I was voting for them.

We voted Conservative for our MP and for both of our local council options.

No other party is credible in my view. We have aligned views on Small Government, minimal Welfare budget and maintaining defence and the nuclear deterrent.

I would love it if they secured a majority, but if that isn't the case then a Coalition would be acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom