• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
FaceID is not going anywhere, certainly not removing it to make way for TouchID.

I like FaceID, but what are you basing your certainty upon? It seems unlikely Apple will indefinitely accept the notch design compromise (and it IS ugly). At some point, the tech has to go under the screen and fingerprints are the likely way they’ll do it.

Soldato
Yeah, I won't be buying a new iPhone until it does faceID and fingerprint ID under the screen with no notch. I say that as an 8 plus user. I'd also like force touch but...

For me, this is far more important than camera improvements or even battery.

I want to pick up my phone and it unlock, ideally without me even thinking about how it did so. And I want an edge to edge screen.

Soldato
Yeah Apple really need a proper edge to edge screen. What they have now isn't that. Still a very noticeable border round the edges of the screen.
Why do they need it? I don't understand the obsession with people needing edge to edge screens.. cameras, sensors & speakers have to go somewhere!

Man of Honour
Why do they need it? I don't understand the obsession with people needing edge to edge screens.. cameras, sensors & speakers have to go somewhere!

Ok, need is probably the wrong word. I just think that edge to edge, is the next logical step for phones and screens. As you say, you can't get away from having something at the top for the speaker and cameras, but certainly to the sides and the bottom now we have no physical button, would make sense and look really good

Soldato
I also don’t get all the love for the rumoured “iPhone 4” square design. Putting aside the antenna issues it had some pretty big flaws.

Does no one remember actually owning one? They were incredibly fragile, all the glass edges were exposed. Any drop on the front, back or edges and the glass was toast. Remember the bumper case?

The only time they survived a drop was if it landed perfectly perpendicular to the ground because the antenna band did stick out slightly. The main plus point is that they could be repaired fairly easily.

If they did bring it back they would need need to make some big changes to sink the glass into the frame and making more difficult to bend. They also need to do a better job of rounding the edges as the iPad Pro/MBP is shaper then it needs to be. I can just see it now #pocketgate, iPhones ruin people’s trousers with its sharp edges.

Soldato
I also don’t get all the love for the rumoured “iPhone 4” square design. Putting aside the antenna issues it had some pretty big flaws.

Does no one remember actually owning one? They were incredibly fragile, all the glass edges were exposed. Any drop on the front, back or edges and the glass was toast. Remember the bumper case?

The only time they survived a drop was if it landed perfectly perpendicular to the ground because the antenna band did stick out slightly. The main plus point is that they could be repaired fairly easily.

If they did bring it back they would need need to make some big changes to sink the glass into the frame and making more difficult to bend. They also need to do a better job of rounding the edges as the iPad Pro/MBP is shaper then it needs to be. I can just see it now #pocketgate, iPhones ruin people’s trousers with its sharp edges.
I agree - the iPhone 4 was the pinnacle of form over function. The so called “industrial design” may look great but it’s really not great to use.

Soldato
For reference I did own one but it spent 99.99% of its life in a case. Most of my friends that had one, smashed it and then put a case on it. When my 11 Max arrives, it will spend 99.99% of its life in a case.

Having an ‘all new’ design will be meaningless as most of them spend 95% of their time wrapped in plastic or leather. Pretty much all phones look the same once you put them in a case.

Soldato
For reference I did own one but it spent 99.99% of its life in a case. Most of my friends that had one, smashed it and then put a case on it. When my 11 Max arrives, it will spend 99.99% of its life in a case.

When I bought my XS I was determined that I would enjoy the form with sticking it in a case. I paid for insurance so I could do exactly that and on balance I feel it’s been worth it.

Having said that, I am ultra careful with my phones anyway.

Associate
Rumour has it that the security updates coming for Face ID on the 2020 device will be massive improvements. Would be interesting to see what it brings though supposed to be much more impactful that the 11 update.

Back
Top Bottom