• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Yeah... Now I've watched a few videos I'm not sure if I want to swap from my 10 to a 10S Max.

Doesn't seem to bring much new to the table even though I really liked my 7+. Hmm.. A few days to decide if I use my reservation or not

Associate
I guess it all depends on how well you look after your kit. My 7Plus doesn't have any marks on it and I don't use a case or screen protector.
Admittedly I’ve been careless these past few months.

But even when babying it, I found the screen accumulated lots of micro scratches so easily.

Soldato
I’ve had my 8 coming up to a year now and only have one smallish scratch on the screen, you’ve gotta hold it in the right light to see it (Never used a screen protector) had it in an official apple silicon case it’s whole life though.

Associate
What would you do?

EE has offered me the following deal, as I get 20% off via employee portal:

I'm mid contract and they've waved the £531 early upgrade fee too.

iPhone XS Max 256GB any colour no upfront
£70 PM 100GB Max Plan
This works out at £17.95 per month for 100GB Max once the phone price is deducted

or

iPhone XS Max 512GB any colour no upfront
£78 PM 100GB Max Plan
This works out at £17.62 per month for 100GB Max once the phone price is deducted

This includes the 20% off. I don't need 100GB nor do I need the 512GB.

I have an order for an outright purchase of the 256 XS Max.

Once ordered, I'm happy to share the code as it can be used for Friends/Family upto 5 times.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember when the Plus came out it took a little while for some apps to take advantage of the extra space/layout options relative to the regular iPhone. Looks like it'll be similar with the Max...

Also golddddd:

Soldato
If safari doesn’t display more info on the max then that is pretty rubbish

This is what bothered me. If things are just bigger then it’s kinda pointless.

I didn’t mind going from the 7+ To the 10 as it felt like a big upgrade but that’s the only time I’ve done a yearly upgrade I used to dodge the S revisions and now I’m wondering if I should do the same.

This is the first iPhone I have ever wondered if it was worth it

Soldato
We still can’t add more icons to a row? Always so slow adding something so simple, that’s a big screen for just a row of 4 :(

Been adding and deleting a x max all week but my 8 plus has just been a very decent bit of kit.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I may switch to a XS if the Max is just a zoomed in XS.

Edit:
I wonder if the apps just need updating to take advantage of the bigger screen. Although I would expect Safari to already be optimised.

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't watch the keynote as I was away but I'm generally staying one or two generations behind; I can't justify spending so much money on a phone. All that said, before I start researching into the new features and stuff, XS, Max, R? I'm so confused as to the options :p

I'll probably be looking for an X on the classifieds soon to be honest.

Associate
My issue with buying used is no warranty/AppleCare. For something like a used X it could quite easily become an expensive paper weight.
Depends.

You could buy a used iPhone X with a warranty, depending on when it was originally bought.
Warranty’s are tied to the phone, not the owner and thus you don’t need to provide any receipts unlike for example if you were buying an android phone used.

Soldato

Edit:
I wonder if the apps just need updating to take advantage of the bigger screen. Although I would expect Safari to already be optimised.
Eh? Whaqt...

All the apps already work fine on the iPad which is larger so they will be perfectly fine on the Xs Max screen.

Soldato

Edit:

I'm sure I read that the Max has the same landscape UI stuff as the Plus (which the X didn't and was like the 6/7/8) so at least some of it's optimised.

EDIT - it seems the home screen doesn't support landscape because Face ID only works with a portrait orientation. Both the XR and XSM support Plus-like landscape split views and things.

Source:

"I turned the phone into landscape orientation to see if it supports the special landscape app layouts that iPhone Plus users have enjoyed for the past few years. It does. (Like the iPhone X, the iPhone XS does not support these layouts."

Last edited:
Soldato
If safari doesn’t display more info on the max then that is pretty rubbish

I agree, on one of the review I watched it seems everything is just...bigger, including the status bar. What a load of rubbish.

https://daringfireball.net/2018/09/the_iphones_xs

Some more info on camera sensor 32% larger , seems like a noticeable improvement from photo comparison with the X

The verge reviews compares the camera to the pixel 2 and it doesn't seem as sharp, and the images they used in their review looked better on the pixel 2 IMO - and the pixel 3 is just around the corner.

All the apps already work fine on the iPad which is larger so they will be perfectly fine on the Xs Max screen.

Apparently the apps do need updating, it's been picked up in a few reviews that many apps look off or are buggy on the Max due to the new resolution and having not been updated.

It seems like Apple is really dropping the ball with iOS these day, and resting on their laurels with regards to the camera. Will be interesting to see how the camera is rated in other reviews, but there's so many odd UI and design decisions. They still haven't even fixed the accidental screenshotting issue, which is a joke. It's been an issue for a year.

Oh well... iOS 12 downloading to my original X now - will see if I notice any improvements!

Man of Honour
After a think, I've cancelled my reservation for an XS Max. My X is more than good enough, so it's staying for the foreseeable.

Back
Top Bottom