• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
I assume you trust these Chinese phone manufacturers not to put in back doors allowing the Chinese/Russians etc to see your data? I don't. There's a reason why the NSA et all don't trust them.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

No thank you!

I'd rather buy something from someone like Samsung, Google or similar.

So you'd rather have the American and UK government have access to your phone. Is that what you're saying?

Soldato
So basically what every android manufacturer is doing too then. Speed bumps and camera specs. The phone market has plateaued.

And to be honest, with regards to the X... it’s hard to improve on perfection :p

Edit. For the record I’m currently on an iPhone 8. But will be upgrading, mainly for the screen and dual cam setup. Not overly fussed with faceid. Actually quite happy with Touch ID.

X was hardly perfect.

Was too small for starters, fine if you have little girly hands I suppose.

Associate
Without wanting to start an Android versus iPhone war, when you look at what £750 will buy you in the Android world, (which is the bottom of the iPhone range) then for me I think this is now verging on madness. I'm not one bit bothered if I use Android or my iPhone, but when I look at something like the OnePlus 6 and what may be coming in the OP6T then look at the XR I can't help but think Apple's having a laugh.

I looked in the mirror last night after 'Apple's big reveal' slapped my face a couple of times and told myself to 'wake up and smell the coffee'. I was considering trading in my iPhone 7 for the XR. However, I'm now thinking I'll keep the iPhone 7 and maybe spend around £479 on the OP6T, come the end of October/November.

At the end of the day it's just a phone, not a Rembrandt.

In all fairness the OnePlus is not at Iphone's level of build quality or performance, hard to think of any Android device that is. I imagine the XR will for a far more desirable bit of tech than the 6T.

I suspect the real competition will be between the Pixel 3 & the XR as they do look like they might be fairly similar products at a similar price point.

Soldato
Poll needs a “too big” option. Would be pertinent considering Apple discontinued the SE yesterday and it’s now in the news how Apple’s corporate culture is male dominated and therefore designs phones with an average size greater than the span of women’s hands.

I’ll be keeping my SE for a while.

An updated one with an edge to edge screen would’ve been awesome. I might have even accepted it without a headphone jack. Sad.

Soldato
X was hardly perfect.

Was too small for starters, fine if you have little girly hands I suppose.
Well, the Xs Max is now here too, for the people who found the X too small.

I find my iPhone 8 just the right size. So the Xs will be fine for me. And yes, my hands aren’t particularly big.

Soldato
In all fairness the OnePlus is not at Iphone's level of build quality or performance, hard to think of any Android device that is. I imagine the XR will for a far more desirable bit of tech than the 6T.

I suspect the real competition will be between the Pixel 3 & the XR as they do look like they might be fairly similar products at a similar price point.

I'd have to disagree with you there. A number of serious reviews have commented that the differences in build quality and performance between the OP6, the iPhone and the Galaxy S9 et-al are embarrassingly small.

As an aside, though I don't want one myself, I would say the Note 9 is every bit as good or better than most phones currently in production. To big and too expensive for my tastes though.

Soldato
I can see why X owners might be underwhelmed by the new lineup, but for people upgrading from a 6/6s (like me), it’s going to be a decent jump.

I think as the rate of development slows and the cost increases, people will upgrade less often — I had planned to upgrade last year, but as good as the X looked, I couldn’t really justify the price when my 6s was still going strong.

Now my wife’s 4s (previously my phone) is on it’s last legs, she will be getting my 6s and I’ll be getting the Xs.

Whereas I used to upgrade every year or every two years, it’s now every three or four… I’m sure it’s the same for all but the die-hard fans who have to have the latest tech.

Soldato
Chatting with the Mrs more seriously this evening about her phone and if she really wanted a new handset or not, and she said how come they have doubled in price in 4 years. Looking confused, I said that doesn't sound right but she was almost spot on.

19th September 2014 - iPhone 6 Plus 128GB £789
14th September 2018 - iPhone Xs Max 512GB £1449.

She has decided to keep her phone, and get a refurb iPhone 8 when there is a silly O2 refresh deal and we'll spend £700 on some flights to some place fancy and take photos with it, pretty sensible I thought. :)

Associate
I'd have to disagree with you there. A number of serious reviews have commented that the differences in build quality and performance between the OP6, the iPhone and the Galaxy S9 et-al are embarrassingly small.

As an aside, though I don't want one myself, I would say the Note 9 is every bit as good or better than most phones currently in production. To big and too expensive for my tastes though.
I wouldn't say an S9 or note is as well built as an iPhone either. Like it or not Apple do a very good job of making it feel like a premium device. I'm sure that the screen of the XR will be very good too.

All that said it's just too expensive for me. I'm struggling to get excited about any new phones tbh the OnePlus included. I'm on a pixel 2 xl and I suspect I'll be keeping that for another year unless one of these companies can dream up something revolutionary.

Soldato
I wouldn't say an S9 or note is as well built as an iPhone either. Like it or not Apple do a very good job of making it feel like a premium device. I'm sure that the screen of the XR will be very good too.

All that said it's just too expensive for me. I'm struggling to get excited about any new phones tbh the OnePlus included. I'm on a pixel 2 xl and I suspect I'll be keeping that for another year unless one of these companies can dream up something revolutionary.

I'm pretty much in the same boat myself. I have the iPhone 7 and a Sammy S7 and when I look at what's on offer today, plus the crazy prices, I simply can't work up any enthusiasm at all. It's hard to tell whether pricing is to blame, or that the market has matured and with that consumers appetite has waned. What is clear though is that sales in many developed countries have really slowed down over the last eighteen months or so.

The Chinese are playing the game of top quality handsets sold on razor thin margins in the hope of attracting consumers, whereas Apple are trying to squeeze every bit of profit out of their customers. It's hard to tell which strategy will prove the most resilient in the long term. However, many analysts are predicting a slow decline which some manufactures may well not survive. I think I will quote from a well known TV programme and declare 'I'm oot'.

Man of Honour
Sorry but I'm used to SC. I have searched but drawn a blank. I'm assuming therefore you've got this wrong.

I do not, search for NCSC articles.

Don't be naive in thinking that just because they have received accreditation to for our broadband infrastructure that a Chinese company would not be beyond putting in back doors etc onto phones. Phones which you do online banking etc on. Perhaps I am wearing a tin foil hat but I find them incredibly difficult to trust.

So you'd rather have the American and UK government have access to your phone. Is that what you're saying?

What are you talking about? Apple wouldn't crumble to the FBI so why would they to any other government/agency?

Soldato
XS Max 256GB. I can certainly contain my excitement until the 21st..... in fact i feel like ill probably just open the box, spend 10 seconds looking at it, then just set it up and shove it in my pocket. Never have I been so unexcited for a new iPhone!

Soldato
XS Max 256GB. I can certainly contain my excitement until the 21st..... in fact i feel like ill probably just open the box, spend 10 seconds looking at it, then just set it up and shove it in my pocket. Never have I been so unexcited for a new iPhone!

To be fair, that’s how I’ve felt ever since getting an iPhone 4 after my 3G. Because it carries your settings, apps and wallpapers across once the back up is complete it just feels like your last phone but a bit quicker

Back
Top Bottom