Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has Apple Silicon, lots of ports and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Mine goes to sleep as expected. Maybe you installed a software that stops it from going to sleep?

I didn't restore from a backup. It's pretty much a fresh install, except for 1Password, Parallels and Slack. I've checked Activity Monitor and nothing is listed as preventing it from sleeping.

How do you know it's not sleeping?

The fans are the same constant speed and the light on the front is solid, I believe it should flash on and off when its sleeping.

The fans are the same constant speed and the light on the front is solid, I believe it should flash on and off when its sleeping.
It's been a while since I had a Mac with a light but I think you're right.

There's an option under energy settings to prevent the Mac going to sleep when the screen is off, that's worth checking.

Thanks. Checked that, that isn't enabled.

I checked Activity Monitor again but selected All Processes instead of the default My Processes. bluetoothd and WindowServer are stopping it from sleeping but not sure why yet. It's my first Apple desktop, so maybe its to be expected when using the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad wirelesses, so they can stay connected?

I'm not sure how I can tell if it is sleeping and if the fans should stay on at the same speed/loudness when sleeping.

According to Apple's docs, the status light doesn't change in Sleep mode:

Status indicator light: The status indicator light on the front of Mac Studio shows a steady white light when your Mac Studio is awake or in sleep; when there’s no light your Mac Studio is turned off.

It's my first Apple desktop, so maybe its to be expected when using the Apple Keyboard and Trackpad wirelesses, so they can stay connected?
Nope, my iMac definitely goes to sleep with those.

Is it Smart Sleep? The Mac goes to sleep but wakes up from time to time to do certain tasks in the background?

Thanks. Checked that, that isn't enabled.
Toggle it on, exit the settings, go back and toggle it off again.

Do you also have another device on the same iCloud ID, maybe a phone or tablet? My M1 Air sometimes wakes up when handoff does its thing.

Just discovered 'pmset' so I can see the Mac is going to sleep. Using 'pmset sleep' it entered DarkWake state. So maybe the fans do constantly spin even in Sleep mode.

Hoping to get my order placed within the next couple of weeks and then it'll probably be at least ten weeks before everything turns up. There's a possibility there might be two displays, not just the one listed here.

UJNPEDO.png

£1250 for Studio Display, is that a work discount?

£1250 for Studio Display, is that a work discount?

Work discount (EPP preferred pricing) is a 6% discount on macs (including displays) and 10% on accessories, always excludes latest devices for at least a few months. Currently Mac Studio, Studio Display, 14 and 16" Macbook Pros are excluded but all M1 macs, Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR are included.

Work discount (EPP preferred pricing) is a 6% discount on macs (including displays) and 10% on accessories, always excludes latest devices for at least a few months. Currently Mac Studio, Studio Display, 14 and 16" Macbook Pros are excluded but all M1 macs, Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR are included.
I have access to that as well, the M1 MBA and the 13" M1 MBP (and possibly the mini, I didn't check) were on there at launch and it's disappointing that the newer models haven't been included.

At least I'll get a few quid off the keyboard and trackpad.

Does anyone use a Magic Trackpad at all? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it or not.
Got one, never use it. I find a mouse much more intuitive for what I do. Having said that when I’m on my MBP I make extensive use of Workspaces and trackpad gestures which would translate well to a Magic Trackpad so if you plan to work similarly with your desktop then a Magic Trackpad is the way to go.

Does anyone use a Magic Trackpad at all? I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it or not.
I absolutely love mine, I haven't used a mouse on a Mac since the day the original Magic trackpad was released back in July 2010. I upgraded to the Magic Trackpad 2 in 2015 and I'm still using that now. I'll replace it when I get the Mac Studio but that's just because the style has changed slightly so it matches the new keyboard.

Worth every penny. MacOS is designed for a trackpad, not mouse. Sure you can adapt it to mouse with third party tools but the magic trackpad is the natural way of using it.

I absolutely love mine, I haven't used a mouse on a Mac since the day the original Magic trackpad was released back in July 2010. I upgraded to the Magic Trackpad 2 in 2015 and I'm still using that now. I'll replace it when I get the Mac Studio but that's just because the style has changed slightly so it matches the new keyboard.

Worth every penny. MacOS is designed for a trackpad, not mouse. Sure you can adapt it to mouse with third party tools but the magic trackpad is the natural way of using it.

Thanks. I'll pick one up next month when I actually have some money in the bank.

I primarily use a Wacom tablet, I only have to resort to a mouse for a few odd tasks (Transmit doesn’t let me drag files from one column to another with the tablet for some reason).

Mice (especially the Magic Mouse) give me wrist pain after a short amount of use. I’ve just picked up a Magic Trackpad 2 off FB Market Place (out of curiosity more than anything else) and I do like it. It won’t replace the Wacom but will likely replace the mouse for those times the tablet doesn’t work.

I bought the Magic Trackpad just now after watching a review of BetterTouchTool. It sounds like a fantastic combo, and I'm genuinely looking forward to getting it.

Back
Top Bottom