Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has Apple Silicon, lots of ports and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Hoping to get my order placed within the next couple of weeks and then it'll probably be at least ten weeks before everything turns up. There's a possibility there might be two displays, not just the one listed here.

UJNPEDO.png
What specs are you planning to go for on the Mac Studio?

Max Tech comparison video is interesting:

Looks like the base Ultra is worth the upgrade if you want to eke out the final few drops of performance over the Max model but the RAM and GPU upgrades on top of the base Ultra are unnecessary.

I think I'll be going for a base Max + Studio Display. Can't really justify the price increase for the Ultra.

Max Tech comparison video is interesting:

Looks like the base Ultra is worth the upgrade if you want to eke out the final few drops of performance over the Max model but the RAM and GPU upgrades on top of the base Ultra are unnecessary.

I think I'll be going for a base Max + Studio Display. Can't really justify the price increase for the Ultra.

I could use 8 more P cores, but £1400 extra wasn't worth it (and I didn't need 128GB of ram), and I had no need for the GPU either. If they allowed separate CPU/GPU (which they may for Mac Pro) it'd have allowed me to get more CPU and less GPU than an M1 Max. But it is what it is.

Base Max (maybe with 1TB storage, and then 64GB of ram if you need it) is the config to buy for 95% of people.

I could use 8 more P cores, but £1400 extra wasn't worth it (and I didn't need 128GB of ram), and I had no need for the GPU either. If they allowed separate CPU/GPU (which they may for Mac Pro) it'd have allowed me to get more CPU and less GPU than an M1 Max. But it is what it is.

Base Max (maybe with 1TB storage, and then 64GB of ram if you need it) is the config to buy for 95% of people.

Yeah, was toying with 64GB of ram and 1TB storage to future-proof it a bit. Not massively expensive upgrades in the grand scheme of things.

It has arrived, and it is all set up with all three of my monitors. This thing is fantastic! I have absolutely no regrets about buying it. I will have to learn all of the tips and tricks in macOS, though, as I haven't had any experience with it since 2007.

How are people finding the fan noise? Noticeably? Annoying? People blowing it out of proportion, thinking it would be as silent as the Mac mini?

I've got mine today but I've not opened it yet as the display hasn't shipped yet.

How are people finding the fan noise? Noticeably? Annoying? People blowing it out of proportion, thinking it would be as silent as the Mac mini?

I've got mine today but I've not opened it yet as the display hasn't shipped yet.

It's noticeable if you put it right next to yourself on a desk. If you put it 2-3m away, no longer noticeable. It's definitely not as silent as a Mac Mini despite not really needing to be that loud, I don't know why they keep the fans on at all times, there's no need. Temps are like 28c at idle.

You can also reduce the fans to 1100rpm (default is 1300) and it reduces the noise quite considerably without any real difference in temperatures.

Don’t forget it’ll be cooling the PSU as well - are there any readable temperature sensors in there?

Not sure about sensors, but it's a 370w PSU, pulling at most 150w at a time (with the Max). Wouldn't worry about that overheating.

Not sure about sensors, but it's a 370w PSU, pulling at most 150w at a time (with the Max). Wouldn't worry about that overheating.
Oh I didn’t think it was likely to overheat, just suggesting part of the reason for the fan running all the time is to keep the air flowing over the PSU as well.

The fan sound is clearly very subjective, the video linked just above says that they can barely hear it at all and with any other sound in the room such as AC, it’s completely inaudible.

Maybe constant higher temps negatively impact other components/lifespan?

Any recommendations for USB hubs from people who already use one? I've run out basically.

I've got the SSK USB-C 10Gbps hub. Connects to USB-C on the mac and adds 2 A and 2 C ports. Doesn't do any clever nonsense either, it's a simple hub that works exactly as expected.

Has anyone had any issues putting their Mac Studio to sleep?

I have the default settings in Energy Saver to turn the display off after 10 minutes but the Mac Studio never seems to sleep. Even selecting Sleep from the Apple menu doesn't seem to put it to sleep.

Has anyone had any issues putting their Mac Studio to sleep?

I have the default settings in Energy Saver to turn the display off after 10 minutes but the Mac Studio never seems to sleep. Even selecting Sleep from the Apple menu doesn't seem to put it to sleep.

Mine goes to sleep as expected. Maybe you installed a software that stops it from going to sleep?

Back
Top Bottom