***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
I have the unfortunate combination of extremely thick facial hair, combined with sensitive skin. Electric razors don't shave close enough for my liking, and Mach 3 crap just irritates my skin to kingdom come (I feel it pull the hairs and burn my skin), making me shave rarely.

Is a safety razor the answer? If I can't figure this **** out I may as well as just wax the damn thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soak your beard using a hot flannel first. Then use a brush to administer shave cream over your beard. This will soften the hair and skin sufficiently to make it easier to shave. Shave regularly so it isn't such a laborious task. You'll find doing this, whether with a mach 3 or DE, will reduce hair pull and irritation.

Soldato
Hello Manly Shavers :)

For a while now I've been using an EJ DE89L with Feather Hi Stainless but I've been getting quite a lot of pulling and as a result blood spots. Watching the video in the opening post I can only dream of shaving that fast, if I attempted that I would have no face left and the thought of going against the grain gives me nightmares.

I'm not sure whether a change of blade would be in order perhaps?

dod

dod

Soldato
picked up a Parker adjustable this week after giving up with my Muhle R89. All I can say is it's a revelation. Smooth, close, brilliant. Set at the second highest level and it's the closest shave I've had ion months with just two passes.

Bonus was they threw in a few samples of geo F Trumper products as well, the Lime shaving cream is superb, the cologne, not so much.

Soldato
Hello Manly Shavers :)

For a while now I've been using an EJ DE89L with Feather Hi Stainless but I've been getting quite a lot of pulling and as a result blood spots. Watching the video in the opening post I can only dream of shaving that fast, if I attempted that I would have no face left and the thought of going against the grain gives me nightmares.

I'm not sure whether a change of blade would be in order perhaps?

Practice. Practice. Practice.
(Maybe with a milder razor)

I started with a Futur. Even on it's mildest setting I was getting cuts.
Eventually I bought a 15C - open comb, but very mild (as mild as a plastic Wilkinson).
I used that for about a year, then I thought I would try the Futur again.
To my surprise, I didn't get cut.
I could only puit it down to using the 15C.
Now I use the 15C mostly. The Futur's head is rather large and I have difficulty getting it under my nose.

Soldato
Hey, can someone recommend me either a shaving soap or cream?

I use Mitchell's Wool Fat and it's been great. I've never used anything different so I'd like to give something else a try.

I don't know if I prefer soap or cream as I've only ever used soap. Having suggestions today would be very ideal as I don't have any left and I need to shave. :o

Soldato
I can vouch for Taylors as well, I have several creams from them, also the Bluebeards Revenge line is quite good.

Have you tried the Body Shop stuff? it's usually on 3 for 2 offer so I tend to get a shave cream and 2 aftershave balms whenever I'm running low.

Soldato
Does anybody peruse shaving products when they go on holiday? I got my favourite shaving balm from a shop in Paris (Huygens) and I really regret not trying out some of the olive oil based stuff that was for sale during my recent honeymoon in Greece. Good excuse to go back one day I guess.

Soldato
So I'm fairly new to all this but loving every second of it... Skin irritation isn't a thing anymore!

Currently I'm using:

Muhle R89 with Feather blades
Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street
Omega 10048

I'm really not a fan of the brush but wanted something cheap - it seems to irritate my skin a little but not sure if is a combination of them both? What is best to replace it with? I'd rather something slightly more premium but don't want to be spending silly money.

Soldato
I got this one, it maybe a tad expensive but it's still going strong after nearly 6 years:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Trave...1504948802&sr=8-5&keywords=kent+shaving+brush

I got my dad this set (albeit from the shop so managed to change the Sandalwood for Jermyn Street cream) and he loves the brush, says it's great:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylor-Old...1&sr=1-32&keywords=taylors+of+old+bond+street
Cheers for that, I've bought the second one as it was on prime same day and needed some other bits plus if it doesn't work out it's barely cost me much (especially when you consider how much cream is). I do looove that top one so if this one fails I'll get that.

I'm doing okay for blades at the moment but when I next need to buy some, are Feathers considered one of the best? I find they give me the best shave and don't cause irritation so I guess just stick to what I know?

Soldato
If you have time, you should shave your beard with an electric shaver first using a number 0, then use a razor to shave your stubble, less irritation and easier to shave.

Associate
Hey, can someone recommend me either a shaving soap or cream?

I use Mitchell's Wool Fat and it's been great. I've never used anything different so I'd like to give something else a try.

I don't know if I prefer soap or cream as I've only ever used soap. Having suggestions today would be very ideal as I don't have any left and I need to shave. :o

For soaps, give Tabac a try.

For a cream, give Edwin Jagger a whirl.

Soldato
I got this one, it maybe a tad expensive but it's still going strong after nearly 6 years:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kent-Trave...1504948802&sr=8-5&keywords=kent+shaving+brush

I got my dad this set (albeit from the shop so managed to change the Sandalwood for Jermyn Street cream) and he loves the brush, says it's great:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylor-Old...1&sr=1-32&keywords=taylors+of+old+bond+street

Cheers for that, I've bought the second one as it was on prime same day and needed some other bits plus if it doesn't work out it's barely cost me much (especially when you consider how much cream is). I do looove that top one so if this one fails I'll get that.

I'm doing okay for blades at the moment but when I next need to buy some, are Feathers considered one of the best? I find they give me the best shave and don't cause irritation so I guess just stick to what I know?

So much softer and so much nicer. Smaller too so going to be easier to manage. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Soldato
So much softer and so much nicer. Smaller too so going to be easier to manage. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Not a problem and yes I find Feathers the best, they seem to be the sharpest so I get much less irritation and they last 3 shaves whereas others can only last 2 before I have to change them.

Soldato
I’ve learned a few things about avoiding irritation. I think if you do them all then hopefully it’ll improve! Some of this stuff is repeated information, but just my two cents:

1. Thin your beard with a trimmer first so the hairs are as short as possible
  2. Have a hot shower and make sure you get a lot of hot water on your beard
  3. If you can’t do this then use a hot flannel on your face for a few minutes
  4. Use a shaving brush to apply the shaving soap to your face - this made a huge amount of difference to me actually, my shaved have improved dramatically after getting a brush
  5. Shave carefully. I have an old school safety razor type thing that everyone else has. Spin it every stroke to even out the shave
  6. Clean your face with cold water afterwards and then put moisturiser on afterwards
Hope that helps! As a few other people have said, the first shave isn’t too good but the second is better.

Man of Honour
Clean your face with cold water afterwards and then put moisturiser on afterwards

What works for me is to go with warm water for washing off, slap on something with good anti-bacteria action (I use alcohol based aftershave but generally people recommend avoiding due to it drying out the skin) then use something like a wrung out or cooled down face cloth or block rather than lots of cold water before finishing up with moisturiser. Works for me - almost no spots or irritation, etc. post shaving. IMO going cold water too soon just blocks in bacteria, etc. Not to say that is necessarily good advice or would work for everyone but works a treat for me.

Back
Top Bottom