***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
One thing I've learned this week is that shaving foams, gels etc are a complete waste of money.

Last few days I've been just using water and there is no irritation at all and the shave feels closer.

Dread to think how much money I've wasted over the years on shaving products I don't need. :eek:

Soldato
Got your addy Belloni, I'll try to post tomorrow.

I put in 5 Astra platinum (green), 5 supermax super platinum, 2-3 Astra blue, 2-3 Gillette 7 o'clock sharp, 1-2 Sputnik and 4-5 blue beards revenge which I think are a rebranded personna......some here would know better than I would. In my opinion the Sputnik are the best of the bunch but if you read blade reviews most of these are fairly popular.

I hope that is enough to keep you entertained for a while, I found that one of the best bits of DE shaving is the search for the perfect blade......I'm still looking lol.

Don
One thing I've learned this week is that shaving foams, gels etc are a complete waste of money.

Last few days I've been just using water and there is no irritation at all and the shave feels closer.

Dread to think how much money I've wasted over the years on shaving products I don't need. :eek:

That's OK for you, but my face would be sliced like an onion if I didn't use some kind of soap / gel for lubrication.

Soldato
Got your addy Belloni, I'll try to post tomorrow.

I put in 5 Astra platinum (green), 5 supermax super platinum, 2-3 Astra blue, 2-3 Gillette 7 o'clock sharp, 1-2 Sputnik and 4-5 blue beards revenge which I think are a rebranded personna......some here would know better than I would. In my opinion the Sputnik are the best of the bunch but if you read blade reviews most of these are fairly popular.

I hope that is enough to keep you entertained for a while, I found that one of the best bits of DE shaving is the search for the perfect blade......I'm still looking lol.

Amazing! Thanks a lot, will let you know how I get on.

Associate
Dunno if its been mentioned but I recently started using Somersets shaving oil and its been pretty awesome for me. Ive got crappy sensitive skin and with this there is no redness or anything at all. Im using disposable G Blue II razors too.

Caporegime
Are the Astra superior platinum good blades to purchase?

I originally purchased Sanguine Two Packs of Wilkinson for Xperia JP1 Razor, coolcut4, wood r5 with my razor.

I got some of these after my last batch of feathers ran out, mainly because they were so cheap and popular on Amazon (with prime, too).

I had my first shave with them this morning and on first impressions, I'm very impressed. I got just as close as with the feathers but they were much more manageable and less harsh feeling.

Happy.

Tried going against the grain yesterday on my second pass. Brand new feather, and it was still tugging. Got a few nicks and it was quite raw. Think I'll give that a miss from now on.

Assuming you haven't already, experiment with different blade angles. Also stretch the skin properly. I go against on the second pass each time and don't have any tugging issues (feathers, tough beard).

Last edited:
Soldato
Tried a Gillette 7am last night and wasnt that impressed. Didnt seem anywhere near as sharp as the Feather but Im still mastering my techinque to be fair so just going to keep trying a different blade and see how I get on with each.

Soldato
Does anyone know what the warranty period of a Mühle r89 would be? I suspect I'm gonna have to fork out for a new handle as the thread on mine has snapped after 11months of light use. I was expecting them to last longer than this to be honest.

Soldato
I would be very unhappy at that too, my 34c is about 5 years old now and it could almost pass as new. I've never had a muhle but I really would expect more useage than that, I would deffinately be trying the company I bought it from as well as muhle themselves.

Did the blades show up yet belloni?

Soldato
Tried my shavette for the first time in a few months last night. Used an astra platinum blade, boy is that challenging. Angle and direction of attack need to be perfect to prevent either laceration or just complete lack of cutting. Especially around the chin, takes some serious application. If you find DE shaving not challenging enough, get a shavette!

Soldato
I would be very unhappy at that too, my 34c is about 5 years old now and it could almost pass as new. I've never had a muhle but I really would expect more useage than that, I would deffinately be trying the company I bought it from as well as muhle themselves.

Did the blades show up yet belloni?

Yes they did, sorry only got round to thanking you been a manic weekend. Tried the Derby blade and it felt good. Thank you for the blades, looking forward to testing!

Soldato
Tried a Gillette 7am last night and wasnt that impressed. Didnt seem anywhere near as sharp as the Feather but Im still mastering my techinque to be fair so just going to keep trying a different blade and see how I get on with each.

Is that the 7 o'clock Green packet or other?

After trying many including the feather, I'm with the green ones, by far my fav blade.

Soldato
Does anyone know what the warranty period of a Mühle r89 would be? I suspect I'm gonna have to fork out for a new handle as the thread on mine has snapped after 11months of light use. I was expecting them to last longer than this to be honest.

I think you need to go to the place you purchased it from, not sure what you've been doing though as I've had a R89 for 6-7 years now and it's still like brand new.

Soldato

I have read a few reviews of the pin corroding/snapping off within a year, which was the reason I went for a Merkur 34C in the end.

Soldato

I think you need to go to the place you purchased it from, not sure what you've been doing though as I've had a R89 for 6-7 years now and it's still like brand new.

I have read a few reviews of the pin corroding/snapping off within a year, which was the reason I went for a Merkur 34C in the end.

Quick update - sent an email to the traditional shaving company on Sunday night. To my surprise, i got a response within a couple of hours!

Long story short, I've managed to get the broken part of the head out of the handle and they are sending me a new head! :D. Amazing service!

The head thread appears to be very weak tin metal and considering I only use it once or twice a week, expected it to last longer than it has. It's never been dropped or banged. Anyway, brilliant service!

Soldato
Ive been getting some good results recently with the Astra blades but Im going to keep trying different ones as my technique is definitely improving.

One question I have got is that Ive been using Proraso pre shave cream but Im not sure how much good its doing as it just seems to clog the blade up on the first pass and then there doenst appear to be any left for the second or third passes? Im not sure whether an oil might be better? Having said that Im not experiencing too much redness when Ive not used it the past couple of shaves so unsure what to do for the best.

Soldato
I've stuck with the Astra blades since I started DE, as I'm quite happy with them.My technique has definitely improved. I don't bother with pre shave oil, seems a bit gimmicky to me. Just shave in/after a shower.

Back
Top Bottom