***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
I bought a double edged safety razor about 5 years ago after getting fed up with the cost of Gillette cartridges.

At first I wanted to buy a straight razor for the cool factor but after a bit of research I realised I'd be better suited to a safety razor. There's a reason they were invented after all. A proper straight razor needs a lot of TLC with a strop, so if I was to buy a straight razor that uses disposable blades then I might as well just get a safety razor anyway.

So I went on Amazon and bought a Bluebeard's Revenge DE razor and a multipack of different razor blades. I found that with my skin and beard type I could go with very aggressive blades like Feather. My beard grows thick and fast and I have some tricky swirls on my throat that can get yanked and bleed with a softer blade.

At first I was very happy with how quickly and cleanly it would take off my stubble and I kept hold of a Gillette just to tidy up until my technique got better. Now I shave my head with it too and just keep a few disposable BICs for the stupid lumps and bumps that I am too scared to dig into when shaving the back of my head.

I'd highly recommend getting online and looking at some starter packs. Traditional shaving is seeing a bit of a resurgence and their are loads of offers on razors, brushes and mixing bowls. You can get a selection of blades to try and find out which brand you like best, I like quite a few and only found Derby to be one I didn't get on with.

Shaving is something I enjoy now. It's the art of the craft rather than just squirting green goop onto your face and hacking the hair off with the latest celebrity endorsed Turbo Stick

Caporegime
for a beginner DE shaver I can thoroughly reccomend the Edwin Jagger DE89. Ive had mine for nearly a year and only used about 15 blades in that time (Feather platinum blades I dont shave every day though).

I've had no issues with and not cut myself so far either. I also used to find cheap disposables gave me shaving rash but a DE razor with a good sharp blade that costs a fraction of the branded disposables and gives a great shave.

I've had mine for about 4 years, maybe longer. Perfect.

Caporegime
I have pretty sensitive skin especially on my neck area. I use the king of shaves sensitive gel with menthol when shaving and since using it, about 5 yrs ago I have had absolutely no irritation. A few cuts here and there, due to me rushing the shave or pressing too hard.

Caporegime
I have a straight razor and a DE.

* straight razor: Edwin Jagger, ebony handle with Solingen steel blade
* DE: Merkur Futur with Lord Super Chrome blades

The straight razor is a dangerous beast, and very difficult to master. These days I just use my Merkur, which is superb.

Associate
3306zb9.jpg

Mach 3 user here...changed the handle to this one off ebay for a tenner. much better feel

The mach 3 blade in picture blade is 18 months old i sharpen on inside of my arm before use using a version of this method.

Soldato
I agree with Avenged7fold that beard preparation is the most important thing to avoid irritation. Using any decent quality shaving cream or soap, properly lathered, and properly worked onto the face using a brush. I'd recommend either a good synthetic, or one of the stiffer badger varieties. The key is to be quite aggressive, ideally lathering actually on the face (get your brush wet but not sopping and put a peanut m&m sized bit of shaving cream in there then just go at it on your face) to get your hairs softened and raised.

Second most important is the angle and pressure of your razor on the skin. Pressure wise depends a lot on how sensitive your skin is - some people recommend minimal pressure, whereas I need to, and can get away with applying quite a bit as I have quite thick hair. For angle of attack, 30 degrees up from horizontal is recommended, but again this is down to preference and experience. DE shaving does take some application, Gillette try and make shaving as easy as possible with mediocre results, whereas actually shaving should be about learning to do it properly to get great results. Once you've learnt it properly, it won't take any longer than anyone takes with a mach 3 or fusion.

Once you've been doing it for a while, you'll be away. I can now do it in the shower without a mirror and get a great smooth shave every time.

Soldato
I use a Dovo solingen cut throat I bought from The Invisible Edge a few years back. First shave took over an hour but got down to 15 mins for a few passes.

It is a beautiful shave, but maintaining the edge is a pain in the arse to be honest. That and I've had a full beard for the last three years so rarely use it now.

Still a worthy skill and a treat, but it's not easy or quick.

Soldato
Ta! I've used traditional soap you make a lather from & gel, both tend to be bad. Maybe I just have sensitive skin. I ask as I wondered if it might be the number of blades they have, as with each pass over it's giving more irritation.

I think I do have a DE somewhere so might try and find it and give it a go.

The single best thing I found to help with my skin irritation was an alum block! Stings like a you know what but brilliant stuff! It really does all come down to preparation and after care though. Have a shower first or a face wash and hot towel, then I use Taylor's of Old Bond Street shaving soap with a badger brush, one pass, rinse face, more shaving soap, another pass, rinse face, more soap, final pass, rinse face, alum block, rinse face with COLD water, aftershave balm. Sounds a bit of a faff but once you get the hand of a DE you can get a really great shave in less than 10 minutes.

hux

hux

Soldato
If you're after a shave like a straight, the Muhle R41 will do that, beast of a de razor that'll slice through anything, spots included so be prepared to bleed.
Ossum razor mind.

Straights are a ballache to use regularly, and take a long long time to master.
Not to mention a good one won't be cheap, you'll be looking at £60 for a half decent used one.
Then there's the strop, and sharpening stones, my shapton ceramic cost £130 and that's just to finish the edge.

Associate
I've been using Philips SensoTouch 3D shavers for a while now. Very good shavers that seem to have been deprecated now, sadly. Anyway, the one i've been using is a few years old now but still in great shape. It cost £250, which is less than they are charging now for the new, but inferior products. I'd just bought a new head for mine recently when the Battery started giving up the ghost. Of course, it's a sealed unit and out of warranty to boot. Sent it to Philips Service Centre anyway, hoping they would do a Battery replacement. A day after sending it a nice Gent rings to say they don't replace the Battery, just the unit itself. They'll send me a new one for £16!

Now, the new head i bought cost £45. £16 for the body, for a total of £61. Which is somewhat less than the £250 i paid originally, for what is essentially a whole new Shaver. Philips, you are ****** beauties!

Last edited:
Don
Just getting started in the world of DE shaving, as got a Bluebeard's revenge DE Shaving kit for Christmas.

As odd as it sounds, really enjoying DE Shaving so far, although 4 or 5 shaves in I'm still not very good at it :)

So far have tried Tesco blades (as the person who bought it for me forgot to buy any others - seemed ok), Shark Stainless (Too aggressive? cut myself quite badly), and Gillette 7'O clock Sharpedge (gave a close shave but lots of tiny cuts next day).

Have got some Derby, Astra SP, and Gillette Silver Blue on order, but didn't know if there were any others worth giving a go?

Soldato
Just getting started in the world of DE shaving, as got a Bluebeard's revenge DE Shaving kit for Christmas.

As odd as it sounds, really enjoying DE Shaving so far, although 4 or 5 shaves in I'm still not very good at it :)

So far have tried Tesco blades (as the person who bought it for me forgot to buy any others - seemed ok), Shark Stainless (Too aggressive? cut myself quite badly), and Gillette 7'O clock Sharpedge (gave a close shave but lots of tiny cuts next day).

Have got some Derby, Astra SP, and Gillette Silver Blue on order, but didn't know if there were any others worth giving a go?

Get some Feathers, really good blades. The biggest tip I can give is take your time and do a minimum of two passes - I do a very light first pass with just the weight of the razor and the second pass I apply a little more pressure.

Don
Get some Feathers, really good blades.
I've always been a fan of Personna Platinum.
Thanks for the quick response - have ordered a pack of each so can give them a go :) As my technique improves I will no doubt rotate back through all the stock that I'm accumulating (although I don't feel bad given the price of DE blades vs cartridges) to give them a fairer trial.

The biggest tip I can give is take your time and do a minimum of two passes - I do a very light first pass with just the weight of the razor and the second pass I apply a little more pressure.
That's perhaps part of my issue - all the guides I've see suggest 2 or 3 three passes - 1st With the grain, 2nd Across the grain and optionally a 3rd Against the grain, however I struggle to really know which way "the grain" is in certain areas of my face.

Associate
That's perhaps part of my issue - all the guides I've see suggest 2 or 3 three passes - 1st With the grain, 2nd Across the grain and optionally a 3rd Against the grain, however I struggle to really know which way "the grain" is in certain areas of my face.

You need to spend a few minutes stroking your face when you have a couple of days growth, which will be highly entertaining for anyone that happens to walk in at the time (so my wife said anyway). With the grain will feel smoother, against the grain rougher. Across the grain is just sideways to those. Don't expect any logic to it - WTG is down my cheeks, but up my throat and sideways on my neck. You'll get used to it :D

The other big tip is pressure - don't use any. If you've come from cartridge razors, you'll often be pressing too hard without even realising. Let the weight of head of the razor do the work. Try holding it razor in your fingertips at the bottom of the handle - more like a dart - it's harder to press then. Remember the angle of the razor will be different to cartridge too - probably more like 45 degrees - I was told you start with the razor at 90 degrees to your face, then slowly lower the handle as you shave; when you feel/hear it start to shave, that's about the correct angle.

Feathers are great, but sharp - I'd hang on to them for a bit until you're more comfortable. Astra SPs are fantastic blades, Derbys are safe but boring (and you can learn bad habits as they're very forgiving), most Gillette blades are good. I'm a big fan of Personna blades too.

Get an alum block for post shave (wet it, rub it on your wet face, leave it a minute or so and rinse off) and a good moisturiser for after that.

Back
Top Bottom