*** THE OFFICIAL MAX PAYNE 3 THREAD ***

Associate
The mistake everyone still seems to be making is that Max Payne 3 is a game... :p

Jokes aside, I did enjoy the combat, but there were just too many damn cutscenes. You can actually skip them, but not until certain points in the cutscene. I'd guess it's to do with loading times, but even on an SSD, it still took forever - usually over half the length of the cinematic - to get to where I could actually skip them.

In terms of story, I honestly found it boring. Being a huge fan of the original games, and the dark, noir, comic book style, the third game just felt lacking. Max is a less interesting character - instead of being a tormented soul, he's just a depressing drunk, and I never felt involved in what I was doing. You're essentially a freelance bodyguard chasing after some spoiled brats who I wanted to keep throwing out of a helicopter.

I found it more disappointing coming from the first two games with such high expectations than I did a bad game, and would find it hard to recommend when you could pick up the earlier games instead. I actually went back and played through Max Payne 2 after finishing 3, and it was so much more fun.

One thing I would recommend if you go for it is playing the game on normal. It gives you more bullet time and more health, which means you spend more time diving around like a badass, and less time hiding behind walls.

Associate
As others have said, the game has far far too many cutscenes. Ones for plot exposition are fine but it really gets frustrating when you get a 10 second cutscene almost literally everytime you walk into a new room so Max can say something like 'the room was thick with smoke like a mortuary is thick with the stench of death' or some similar BS.

For £7 though its worth a pop. I paid £20 and regretted it, but that was more because the first 2 games were so so good and the last was over 50% cutscene.

Man of Honour
I must say I am loving this game. Once I got used to the fact that it is basically just an interactive action movie I started to enjoy every second of it. The story is reallly good and it sure brings back some memories. Given how long ago the last title was I think they have done a superb job of ressurecting the series. Reckon I will give this a second playthrough at some point.

Soldato
Yeah I might pick this up in the next sale, played through Heavy Rain so many times and loved it, and that was basically a movie with a few button presses.

Soldato
i payed full price for this game, even though it had cut scenes, it was fun and had crazy moments that ill never forget. i've completed it just over 6 times now.

keep going back when i'm bored.

think of it less as max payne and more of die hard 3 (remember the trilogy on ps1?)
then youll have much better time

Associate
Max Payne 3

Anyone having any issue with crashing to black screen (audio still heard)?? the problem is I don't know if its the new Nvidia drivers or SLI causing the issue, not played it for a few weeks and was fine previously

Soldato
Anyone having any issue with crashing to black screen (audio still heard)??

Just started playing this (late to the party :p ) and having the same issue... did you ever solve it, Sean?

I have to say, this is the buggiest AAA game I have ever played. Firstly had to jump through hoops to get the damn game to start without immediately crashing, then more hoops to get it working in DX11 mode! In addition, the screen tearing is pretty awful, while turning on vsync creates some pretty horrible mouse lag. The FXAA makes absolutely no bloody difference even on super high, whereas turning on even 2x MSAA kills the frame rate :rolleyes:

Having sorted/compromised with all that, it seemed to be working fine... then about 5 minutes in I get the black screen problems :mad:

System spec link in sig (desktop), and yes I am using a totally legit copy of the game on Steam :p

Cheers,

Su

Last edited:
Caporegime
Finally got round to playing this for a couple hours. It's sooo boring.

Does it get better? I completed 1&2 back in the day, but it seems 3 is a step backwards if anything, all these years later. Story is pure yawn-fest and the combat is pretty crappy.

With the size of my Steam backlog I really don't want to waste time on this if it never improves.

Associate
By the end I was forcing myself to play, mainly as I had finished and enjoyed the first two so much. The third certainly has it's moments but too often it felt like a slog and as you say the story isn't exactly compelling.

If anything I'd say some of the best battles happen in the first couple of hours so unfortunately if it's not doing anything for you by now you might be better off playing something else :(

Caporegime
By the end I was forcing myself to play, mainly as I had finished and enjoyed the first two so much. The third certainly has it's moments but too often it felt like a slog and as you say the story isn't exactly compelling.

If anything I'd say some of the best battles happen in the first couple of hours so unfortunately if it's not doing anything for you by now you might be better off playing something else :(

Hmm, think I'll move on. Thanks for the response.

As another commentator said, the game seems confused as to what it wants to be. So far I've come across plenty of areas where you just can't use bullet time. Lots of narrow corridors where you can't slow-mo dive, and places early on where any attempts to use bullet time just end in death :p With the introduction of chest-high cover, MP3 seems to want to be a cover-based shooter as much as anything else.

Having played and enjoyed MP1+2, I just don't think I want to re-hash the experience with a prettier but less playable reboot. None of the characters are likeable in any way, and the story just blows chunks.

Good job it was cheap. Next!

Back
Top Bottom