*** The Official Microsoft Surface Thread ***

Caporegime
Wow, that looks brilliant! I hope it sells well for them; always nice to see more competitors coming in and giving a good fight for the top spot instead of the usual instant Apple domination.

Soldato
Towards the end of the video they refer to the Pro version being based on a generation 3 22nm Ivybridge core i5 proc a GPU with "double the 3D throughput of todays core i5s whilst using less power" giving performance that "rivals the finest ultabooks ever anounced". So think of the RT based Surface as a companion device like a iPad at a similar price to an iPad and the Pro version to be a touch oriented replacement for a high end Ultrabook/laptop at a similar price.

Prices are quoted as

"Suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC. OEMs will have cost and feature parity on Windows 8 and Windows RT. "

Last edited:
Soldato
The Surface Pro looks like it will be great.

Though they won't shift them in bulk unless the price is around £500~, if it's closer to £1000~ people won't bother with it.

Considering the Surface Pro specs, I think it'll be at least £700, let's hope I'm wrong.

Getting one anyway though. :cool: :p

Agree, You'd have to be on more than 2.5k/m take home and childless to pay more than £500, I know cause I won't.

Unless it can genuinely replace my desktop and I put both my tab and desktop budget together, to achieve this it has to have some ram and graphics mega ability.

I am replacing my DT this year and was planning on getting a tab, total budget about £7/800, I'm not a gamer and I just dropped £800 on my kids semi game pc and £800 on their tabs, that stung my wallet and now their ps3 is ****** too, ffs.

Also on Bloomberg in a vox populi moment someone said it runs on or is developed on c# so wasn't gona sell as good as Android, I don't know what c# means but I expect others here to??? They said Bill was trying to lock development in???????

Soldato
Hopefully the RT screen will have a high resolution or they may of missed a trick here because every one of their competitors by this summer will have full HD screens (if not higher res) so will be end of 2013 before they match their rivals in that respect and if they are aiming for the top end I think they should do better really. Considering they are coming in with a brand new OS and a very saturated market would have been nice to them to go in with higher specs than they would otherwise to pull some customers in. USB 3.0 would have been nice as I've seen with the iPad can take bloody ages to transfer bigger apps or films over! Will be interesting to see the specs for other manufacturers as well especially the likes of Samsung as I'm hoping they will be releasing a Galaxy Tablet with Windows!

A bit confusing at first why they have an ARM and Intel version but am guessing the Pro is like ultra portable laptop whereas the RT is a tablet. Will be interesting to see what price they come in at, going to be hard to convince many iPad users who are invested in their device to change if they are the same price or higher!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes Arm based RT cannot join domains and apps do not work between the Arm and Intel version among other changes. None of your PC programs can run on RT but most programs should run on the Pro version.
Just to clear that up... Metro apps will work on both the RT and Pro version (any app on the market place must be a metro app). Existing apps... so traditional exes (x86) will only work on the Pro version.

Soldato
EDIT: I do like the built in kickstand though, that's nice, probably one of the reason they're both relatively thick though...
The ARM-based tablets are 9.3mm (0.4 inches) thick - slightly less than the iPad 3 (9.4mm)

It's a larger 10.6" screen rather than the iPads 9.7" which could contribute to it being 676grams compared to the iPad 3 at 652grams. Not a particularly significant difference in weight I don't think, I doubt most people could even tell the difference.

Last edited:
Associate
so let me get this right, Windows 8 RT will act as a tablet that only runs with apps ( like iPad ) and Windows 8 Pro will be able to act as a PC that runs full softwares ( like MacbookPro ) but the Win 8 Pro has a look of a tablet but with a pc spec ..I like it :)

Soldato
I would also say the difference of approach on the Arm based ones are going to come through, where Apple whent and took a Mobile OS and made it for the iPad. MS has taken what was made for the desktop ( Win8 Metro side of things) and put that into a tablet.

Back
Top Bottom